Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:37:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Historical question...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Historical question...  (Read 4575 times)
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »

Just wondering, what did the Germans have to do with the Mexican revolution? I've been doing some googling and I nothing I found about the Mexican revolution mentions Germany. I though it might have something to do with WWI. Anyone who knows the history better care to educate me a bit?

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »

There have been a few other topics on this question, but to briefly answer it:

The Germans were engaged in extensive arms trades with the Huerta government in 1913, sending them rifles, machine guns, military advisors, and armored cars.  That was the main concern of the US over Mexico - that Germany would establish a sphere of influence there.  Notice the Zimmerman Telegraph, wherein Germany promised Mexico the Southwestern US if they joined the war on the side of the central powers.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »

Absolutely.
Just finished watching Wind and the Lion again.  The Germans were in Morocco trying to establish a presence there in the early 1900s.  Comments from others about that film were suggesting that Germany was actually trying to instigate WW1.  Maybe so.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 07:38:13 AM »

Britain, France and Germany very nearly went to war over Morocco in 1905.  That probably would've been better, since the likelihood of Russia etc. jumping in would've been decreased.

Man with no dame
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:19:17 AM »

Actually , the Germns established a "sphere of influence" thru out Central and South America, which worked to their benefit after World War II.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »

Germany, predictably given the history of their imperial endeavours, was very heavy-handed in their attempts to get involved in Latin American politics, so they didn't get a huge amount of influence. That's not to say they didn't try, but only Mexico and Argentina ever really supported the Germans (and Mexico only in WWI). The Germans tried to set up colonies in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic in the early 1900s but Teddy Roosevelt swatted them down with his big stick. During WWI they were engaged in all kinds of subterfuge and political manuveuring in Central and South America, with very limited results.

For any really interested, here's an article about Latin American involvement in WWI, which does a pretty good job of describing Germany's attempts to gain support in the region:

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfla.htm

Man with no dame
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »

Germany, predictably given the history of their imperial endeavours, was very heavy-handed in their attempts to get involved in Latin American politics, so they didn't get a huge amount of influence. That's not to say they didn't try, but only Mexico and Argentina ever really supported the Germans (and Mexico only in WWI). The Germans tried to set up colonies in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic in the early 1900s but Teddy Roosevelt swatted them down with his big stick. During WWI they were engaged in all kinds of subterfuge and political manuveuring in Central and South America, with very limited results.

For any really interested, here's an article about Latin American involvement in WWI, which does a pretty good job of describing Germany's attempts to gain support in the region:

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfla.htm
Interesting read! Afro There are quite a few German pocket communities scattered all over South America, according to friends I have from there.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:12:11 PM »

Interesting read! Afro There are quite a few German pocket communities scattered all over South America, according to friends I have from there.

Brazil has a pretty large German community, IIRC.

Man with no dame
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »

Argetina, Venezuela and Peru also. Peru is rather a hornet's nest of all sorts of baddies. Not a good place to vacation.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »

I can buy that. Though to be honest I'm kinda confused how so many Germans ended up in South America?  Undecided

Then again, Brazil also has a large population of descendants of ex-Confederate soldiers/politicians, too.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »

I can buy that. Though to be honest I'm kinda confused how so many Germans ended up in South America?  Undecided

Then again, Brazil also has a large population of descendants of ex-Confederate soldiers/politicians, too.

Hmm. Seems that Nazis through the ages have enjoyed the beach life. BOYS FROM BRAZIL, now there's a very silly film.

Man with no dame
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 04:43:07 PM »

People of German heritage are the largest of all ancestries here in the states, followed by Irish. I'm sure that with the loot some of those Nazi's spirited out, they could pick and choose their destinations, but opted for places that would be hard to extract them from. The Mosad wont even go to Peru.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »

People of German heritage are the largest of all ancestries here in the states, followed by Irish. I'm sure that with the loot some of those Nazi's spirited out, they could pick and choose their destinations, but opted for places that would be hard to extract them from. The Mosad wont even go to Peru.

That's a partial explanation, but a lot of these communities in South America have been around for 100+ years.

Man with no dame
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »

That's a partial explanation, but a lot of these communities in South America have been around for 100+ years.
All the more fortuitous for the Nazis.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM