Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 11:04:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Recent Westerns
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Westerns  (Read 4246 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »

I've been on a sort of Western watching binge lately, all unplanned except for the Searches which I purchased with a gift card fron Best Buy for Fathers Day.

The Searchers:
A great John Ford-John Wayne Western the Monument Valley sequences are spellbinding. And its biggest plus is that John is actually sort of an anti hero, bigoted and mean.

The Devils Doorway:
Rod Taylor as a Civil War Medal of Honnor winning Shoshone Indian, who returns to his fathers lands in Wyoming only to confront a racist lawyer who coverts his fathers valley for sheepherding. B&W dir by Anthony Mann, interesting take and sympathizes with the Indians plight.

Man Of The West:
Another dark Mann directed Western with Gary Cooper as a reformed outlaw who is stranded with a woman and a gambler in West Texas when the train they are riding on is held up by Coopers outlaw family, it was different.

Ride Vaquero:
Rod Taylor and Anthony Quinn as outlaw Mexicans who terrorized the area around Brownsville Texas, Quinn is a hoot as the gang leader, Ava Gardner as the love interest, rest of the film wasn't all that great.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »

good movies

I've lately watched "The Missouri Breaks" with Brando and Nicholson,not a great  movie but the stars shine,grat acting...
btw,when did Brando get so fat?or better why?

Tim
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »

joe, how are the extras on the Searchers DVD, if you've gotten around to it yet?  I didn't want to buy the whole John Ford/John Wayne DVD set because I already own three of them, but The Searchers is definitely on my to-buy list.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:52:16 AM »

All I've had time for so far is the comming attraction for Brad Pitt's Jesse James flick, judging by that (no snipits of action at all just Pitt and whoever is playing the guy that kills him nugging at the camera),  its going to be another dialog driven who cares Western. Too bad for us.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 11:43:55 AM »

good movies

I've lately watched "The Missouri Breaks" with Brando and Nicholson,not a great  movie but the stars shine,grat acting...

Missouri Breaks was a great movie but the actual film was ok. What made it great was Marlon Brando. Jack Nicholson was good too but he is over-shadowed by the great Brando.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »

joe, how are the extras on the Searchers DVD, if you've gotten around to it yet?  I didn't want to buy the whole John Ford/John Wayne DVD set because I already own three of them, but The Searchers is definitely on my to-buy list.

Tim, just a heads up if I may, there are two versions fo the recently released SE. 1 with just 2 discs and other with an assortment of booklets, mini posters and a comic book.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 04:30:29 AM »

Yea two versions, I went for the $19 versionm the other was $29 at Best Buy.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:29:17 AM »

muscular bodies tend to do that when you hit 50.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 07:33:46 AM »

yes but he was one of the greatest stars,and sex simbols,so it was pretty surprising to see that he let himself go so far

Tim
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »

Watch The Score with Brando in a supporting role to Robert DeNiro's main character.  Brando had got so big by this point it seems he has to stop and take a breath after every sentence or two.  Good movie though, and Brando is excellent with a small part.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »

Watch The Score with Brando in a supporting role to Robert DeNiro's main character.  Brando had got so big by this point it seems he has to stop and take a breath after every sentence or two.  Good movie though, and Brando is excellent with a small part.

i've seen it,very good movie
-especially if you like edward norton

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't work out as often as I do.    Undecided

But then again, 50 is a long way off for me.   Grin

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:12:53 PM by The Peacemaker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 03:24:40 AM »

yes but he was one of the greatest stars,and sex simbols,so it was pretty surprising to see that he let himself go so far

I dont think Brando much cared for his image. He was a bit of a nutter that one.

check out Arnold Swahrztaneggar's (sorry Arnie that name is to difficult to spell) gut now! The man is a tub!

Celebs are like everybody else, there comes a time when they just dont care to work out as often or to stay in shape because by then they arent as popular as they once were anyway.

Clint Eastwood is still amazingly toned! Then again he has always been Lanky. Lanky people dont often get very fat.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:20:23 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 01:35:11 PM »

I dont hink Brando much cared for his image. He was a bit of a nutter that one.

check out Arnold Swahrztaneggar's (sorry Arnie that name is to difficult to spell) gut now! The man is a tub!

Celebs are like everybody else, there comes a time when they just dont care to work out as often or to stay in shape because by then they arent as popular as they once were anyway.

Clint Eastwood is still amazingly toned! Then again he has always been Lanky. Lanky people dont often get very fat.

true words man...

KERMIT
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 06:37:50 PM »

All I've had time for so far is the comming attraction for Brad Pitt's Jesse James flick, judging by that (no snipits of action at all just Pitt and whoever is playing the guy that kills him nugging at the camera),  its going to be another dialog driven who cares Western. Too bad for us.
you think they could have shorten the title of the movie.
looks like ben afflecks's brother playing ford.
this looks like it's got potential  'ceptin',  is the woUrld ready for jesse james w/ a purtty mouth ?  Grin

pity  swartz... cough - cough { Tongue } AND brando do a film featuring stick butter...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM