Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 05:35:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The garbage truck scene
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The garbage truck scene  ( 5383 )
SimRob
Chicken Thief

« : June 21, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure i know what the garbage truck scene means: as someone else has suggested, Max doesn't really end up in there (whether jumping or being thrown) he just makes it look as though he might have been. I.e. he fakes his own death again to get out of the corruption scandal engulfing him. He's doing it in a way that signals to Noodles, and only Noodles, that it's fake: by hiding behind a grabage truck. When they first met it was when Noodles was similalrly using a vehicle to hide something - the wagon Max was driving to hide the drunk they were going to roll from the cop. So hiding something via a passing vehicle is something that has special meaning only for the two of them but no one else. Everyone else will think Bailey/Max is in the garbage truck but not Noodles.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #1 : June 23, 2006, 07:50:25 AM »

So...are you saying that when Max asked Noodles to kill him he wasn't being sincere? Because if he's got the whole garbage truck thing worked out in advance (he'd have to, no?), then he'd have to be counting on the fact that Noodles *wouldn't* shoot when asked. But then, why all the theater to begin with? No one is a witness to the conversation between Max and Noodles, so it can only be taking place for the benefit of those two. If Max is going to tip his hand to Noodles anyway, why pretend to be suicidal? And why fake a suicide without leaving evidence that you've committed suicide? If Noodles is the only witness to the garbage truck con, and he is made to realize that it IS a con, how does that forward Max's scheme for getting out from under?

This explanation seems to raise more questions than it answers. A simpler reading of the scene seems to be in order: Max is sincere when he offers Noodles a chance for revenge; still suicidal after the interview, Max walks out behind Noodles and, finding a garbage truck of opportunity, jumps in; OR, knowing that Frankie Minaldi's men are waiting to dispose of him (literally), Max first offers Noodles a chance for some revenge, but when rebuffed, takes the second-best offer.

BTW, actually committing suicide will also get Max out the corruption scandal engulfing him. Even complete snakes can get tired of living.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
DJASh
Chicken Thief

« #2 : June 24, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »

This whole scene is exquisite...the indistinct figure walking behind the truck..the grinding garbage crusher..the light in Noodle's eyes..the flashback of the 1920's revellers...the music...

Pure genius...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #3 : June 24, 2006, 10:54:36 PM »

Pure genious is right. To slowly unravel such a complicated plot for almost four hours, just to leave the audience with one of the most baffling mysteries ever shown in the cinema, is genious.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #4 : June 25, 2006, 02:00:38 AM »

To slowly unravel such a complicated plot for almost four hours, just to leave the audience with one of the most baffling mysteries ever shown in the cinema, is genious.

some people I have spoken to think its a cop out.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #5 : June 25, 2006, 07:22:20 PM »

Why waste time talking with such idiots? Life is too short.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #6 : June 25, 2006, 08:08:24 PM »

some people I have spoken to think its a cop out.

What do you mean by " cop out? "   ???

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #7 : June 26, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »

What do you mean by " cop out? "   ???

cop out means it was a "let down".
Everything was built up just for a silly ending.

I dont agree. I think it was a brave move by Leone. everybody could have easily hated that ending.

Jenkins: I wouldnt call the one person that told me that an idiot. He is very intelligent and just has an opinion. a valid one as well.
But I dont agree with him.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #8 : June 26, 2006, 08:52:02 AM »

OK, substitute "philistine" for "idiot." Intelligence is no guarantor of taste....

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #9 : June 27, 2006, 02:42:41 AM »

OK, substitute "philistine" for "idiot." Intelligence is no guarantor of taste....

"Taste" is opinionated.

what may be good for some may not be good for others.

conradv
Chicken Thief

I Love Claudia

« #10 : June 28, 2006, 08:15:45 AM »

Speaking of this scene, I watched it again a couple of days ago, and I guess I wasn't paying attention before, but as Noodles walked away from the gate, up on the grass, he was heading for an oriental building.

One thing that jumped out to me was that possibly this was Noodles "waking up" from his dream at the opium den.  I never really bought into the whole Dream thing, but I found this interesting.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines