Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:44:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  US 139 minute version
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US 139 minute version  (Read 12104 times)
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2006, 09:55:54 AM »

How is it possble to cut a film from 229 minutes to 139 minutes and release it!? That adds up to 90 minutes being cut! Does anyone have anyone know what long sections were missing in this version?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »

How is it possble to cut a film from 229 minutes to 139 minutes and release it!? That adds up to 90 minutes being cut! Does anyone have anyone know what long sections were missing in this version?

Well, the chopped-up version shown in US theaters in 1984 was missing the two rape scenes, a few other scenes, and was put in chronological order which as we all know makes the film incomprehensible. Not only that, the end with the garbage truck and the smile in the opium den was removed completely! They replaced it with Noodles walking out of Senator Bailey's office and cuts with the sound of a gunshot ( God forbid if a movie gets too cerebral   Roll Eyes  ) 

With the new director's cut, we got back everything missing from 1984 ( the version showed at the Cannes film festival where it was critically praised ).

But, Leone shot another 20 minutes of film that he deleted himself due to financial pressure. He still felt those scenes were necessary. They include a black hearse following Noodles in the cemetary in 1968, Jimmy O'Donnell meeting Max at Secretary Bailey's party where he is struck by Max ( " you wouldn't hurt an old cripple now would you? " ), and more scenes with Noodles' girlfriend Eve.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:25:14 PM by The Peacemaker » Logged

Tim
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:46:36 AM »

and was put in chronological order which as we all know makes the film incomprehensible.

You'd think it be the other way around, wouldn't you?  Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 04:09:22 PM »

Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dude With No Name
Road Apple

You see...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »

Well, the chopped-up version shown in US theaters in 1984 was missing the two rape scenes, a few other scenes, and was put in chronological order which as we all know makes the film incomprehensible. Not only that, the end with the garbage truck and the smile in the opium den was removed completely! They replaced it with Noodles walking out of Senator Bailey's office and cuts with the sound of a gunshot ( God forbid if a movie gets too cerebral   Roll Eyes  ) 

With the new director's cut, we got back everything missing from 1984 ( the version showed at the Cannes film festival where it was critically praised ).

But, Leone shot another 20 minutes of film that he deleted himself due to financial pressure. He still felt those scenes were necessary. They include a black hearse following Noodles in the cemetary in 1968, Jimmy O'Donnell meeting Max at Secretary Bailey's party where he is struck by Max ( " you wouldn't hurt an old cripple now would you? " ), and more scenes with Noodles' girlfriend Eve.

I wouldn't want to watch that version. Especially in chronological order, that'd really take away from the film.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »

In the documentary, "Once Upon a Time: Sergio Leone", Milchan is saying he will add the lost 30 minutes back into the film. Has this been added to the DVD? Or is it still missing?

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
mike7162
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »

I wouldn't want to watch that version. Especially in chronological order, that'd really take away from the film.

I've seen that hacked up version now and again on broadcast tv, and my bile rises every time I watch it.
If that additional 30 minutes is added, I hope it's not jimmy-rigged into the film like GBU - OUTIA is too exqusite a film for that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 09:31:30 AM »

If that additional 30 minutes is added, I hope it's not jimmy-rigged into the film like GBU - OUTIA is too exqusite a film for that.
What could you be referring to? The restored English-language version of the film simply follows the Italian cut (except for the extra Gotto sequence). There is no "jimmy-rigging" involved (unless you're talking about the dubbing . . .)

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 02:09:09 PM »

What could you be referring to? The restored English-language version of the film simply follows the Italian cut (except for the extra Gotto sequence). There is no "jimmy-rigging" involved (unless you're talking about the dubbing . . .)

I think he means that he would prefer to see the deleted scenes seperately on the special features menu and not thrown into the movie.

And I do agree with dude, the added scenes in GBU feel tacked-on ( except the scene when Angel Eyes visits the fort ).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 02:10:43 PM by The Peacemaker » Logged

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »

Absolutely: the restored version is great (even dubbing). And even the Grotto sequence was in the Roman premiere (but was cut from the later Italian release version).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:16:49 PM »

Uh, if some 90 minutes were cut out of the movie I think more than "a few scenes" were excised.  Roll Eyes

Saturday nights with Groggy
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 07:19:31 AM »

You're right. It was butchered (is that a verb?).

bdsproductions
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 04:24:43 AM »

Technically, it was edited down from over six hours.

dave in milwaukee
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 01:29:43 AM »

But, Leone ****** another 20 minutes of film that he deleted himself due to financial pressure. He still felt those scenes were necessary. They include a black hearse following Noodles in the cemetary in 1968, Jimmy O'Donnell meeting Max at Secretary Bailey's party where he is struck by Max ( " you wouldn't hurt an old cripple now would you? " ), and more scenes with Noodles' girlfriend Eve.

Are those extra 20 minutes available anywhere? I especially want to see more of Eve--especially because she has such a brief appearance in the film and I've always been totally smitten with the stunningly beautiful actress, Darlanne Fluegel, who played her. Every time I see the film I want to personally kill that slimebag who shoots her in the opening scene (I definitely did not shed a tear when Noodles shoots the bastard's sidekick in the head in the freight elevator scene a few minutes later).

Eve's character is developed a little more in the book, The Hoods. Noodles was still obsessed with Deborah (whose name is "Dolores" in the book), even though he now knows he has lost her forever. Although he is a big-time ladies' man, they were all unfulfilling one-night stands. Then he meets Eve, falls in love with her, and she moves in with him. (If she looked anything like her character in the movie, I don't blame him!)   

P.S.--It's beyond me why Darlanne Fluegel never made it big in the movies. The only role I remember her being in, after OUATIA, was that of  the long-suffering cop's wife (to Dennis Farina) in the late 1980s TV series "Crime Story." (Dennis's character on that show was a real schmuck--I definitely would've quit the force, or done whatever else was necessary, in order to stay married to HER!) 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 10:03:04 AM »

P.S.--It's beyond me why Darlanne Fluegel never made it big in the movies. The only role I remember her being in, after OUATIA, was that of  the long-suffering cop's wife (to Dennis Farina) in the late 1980s TV series "Crime Story." (Dennis's character on that show was a real schmuck--I definitely would've quit the force, or done whatever else was necessary, in order to stay married to HER!) 
I always remember her from Battle Beyond the Stars. She looked good in that futuristic jumpsuit.

Just looked at her bio at imdb and found that her career consists of B-movies and a lot of TV. In addition to the Crime Story appearances, she did 3 Hunters and 5 Wiseguys.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM