Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 08:07:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Broken Trail (2006)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broken Trail (2006)  (Read 6593 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2006, 11:12:01 PM »

Watched the first part tonight, Dri by Walter Hill, its ok so far but really slow, first gun shot occured 50 minutes into it and the first gundown at 1:15, its nothing ground breaking or very stylistic, sort of what I was expecting, the story is interesting though. Anybody else see it, part two is tommorow.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 11:14:47 PM »

Watched the first part tonight, Dri by Walter Hill, its ok so far but really slow, first gun shot occured 50 minutes into it and the first gundown at 1:15, its nothing ground breaking or very stylistic, sort of what I was expecting, the story is interesting though. Anybody else see it, part two is tommorow.

That was what I was expecting so I didn't watch it. I expected another Open Range.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 11:30:12 PM »

First victum to first gunshot was a horse, lol, its supposed to take place in 1898, you'd a thunk there would have been enough railroads between Oregon & Wyoming, so that you wouldn't have to drive 500 horses across country, oh well.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:38:32 AM »

Duvall said he considers this the third entry of a trilogy...

Lonesome Dove

Open Range

Broken Trail

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:40:41 AM »

Duvall said he considers this the third entry of a trilogy...

Lonesome Dove

Open Range

Broken Trail

What does he call it? The Man with no Lasso trilogy?   Grin

Just kidding. But seriously what does he call it?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 01:41:37 AM »

Just kidding. But seriously what does he call it?

Grin havent a clue.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 05:50:49 AM »

Its the "long on dialog" trilogy

Tim
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »

Lonesome Dove has always been one of my favorite westerns.  Lots of dialogue but it's always entertaining, especially when it comes from Duvall's Gus McCrae, one of my all-time favorite characters.

Tonight, I'm planning on catching both parts of Broken Trail, back-to-back on AMC.  Hopefully, it picks up some.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »

I enjoyed this very much.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »

I think the romantic part is developed goofily. No need for the long scene with Duvall and Scacchi and the romance between the nephew and the china girl spruces up out of nowhere.  I would have done gladly without it or reducing it at the smallest terms. Trimming 20 minutes from the whole movie would have made a lot of good. But  as it is it's still a great western, with great photography (some shots look like Remington's pictures) and top performances by Duvall, his nephew and the villain. Welcome back Walter Hill. 8\10 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 05:05:08 AM »

its supposed to take place in 1898, you'd a thunk there would have been enough railroads between Oregon & Wyoming, so that you wouldn't have to drive 500 horses across country, oh well.
The cattle drives were a short-lived institution, according to wikipedia, from 1866-1886. As you say, Joe, with a well-developed rail system, they became unnecessary.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15:14 AM »

Finally decided to watch this. I was postponing it as long as I could, afraid of what one of my favorite directors could have made after the Last Man Standing, Undisputed and Supernova fiascos.

Watched the first part: looks like it has potential, but it's really really really slow. Enjoyable though. Robert Duvall very good, Thomas Haden Church keeps up, the others kinda indisposed but no matter. Bugsy is there too, nothing to write home about but it's nice to see him in a W.

P.S. I maybe missed something but how does Fat Kate know the Chinese women are the ones she payed for?

P.S. 2 It must have been hell in the OW when they'd ran out of that 'toilet paper'. Don't even dare to think about it. That crossed my mind more than once while watching Ws.

Part two and the overall impression follows in a couple of hours.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:17:31 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »

How many damn scenes did it have of cowboys sitting around a campfire?
My calculator  broke. Grin

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »

ors could have made after the Last Man Standing, Undisputed and Supernovjoyable though.

Robert Duvall very good.....

no, he's not.
OPEN RANGE he was good>

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 06:27:30 AM »

So, I watched the second part, and I have to say it's a good one, no doubt about it. It's what I'd call a calm and delicious W, the kind Walter Hill is obviously very fond of, with care for details. For example; when they rest the horses near the river after the long ride, that's such a wonderful detail that almost always gets ignored in Hollywood cattle drive Ws. They usually drive cattle through like half continent and they stop just once a day, in the evening, and then in the morning POOF! they continue like nothing happened. A common ignorant would say they don't even have to stop, I mean, it's horses they're driving, they can run all day all the way! LOL! That and a couple of other details really showed they studied the matter well. They even knew about the torture the Chinese women had to endure with the tying of their feet, crazy as it may sound, that's actually a truthful fact.

I was, however, hoping for some more action in the second part. What can I do, I love the (imaginative) mythical level of the OW. Seemed to me like Walter Hill was too fascinated with the landscape where he was shooting he completely forgot about the main antagonist, so they had to remind him that the story ends with the confrontation between his company and Big Ears' gang. ''Ahh... OK, OK... Bring them here!'' But if you've seen the look of this movie you can't really blame him. I mean, who sane-minded wouldn't?

I agree with IMDb: 7.8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM