Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:11:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Osterman Weekend (1983)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Osterman Weekend (1983)  (Read 7552 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:37:11 AM »

Just got done watching "Bloody Sam" 's final film on AMC, it was a reasonably good spy film though a bit convoluted and confusing.  However, if you ever want to see Craig T. Nelson doing martial arts, or Meg Foster shooting people with a crossbow, you should check this one out!  Grin Anyone else here seen it?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:58:55 AM »

Yes, though it's been many years (saw it on the original theatrical run). I don't remember much except that I hated the plot.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »

personally i love the plot and the movie, i definitely think it's a peckinpah level film, most think it's somehow below him but i don't get it... it's not my favorite, but it's definitely a lot better than convoy... anyway, take it from me, if the plot seemed a little condensed and confusing, this is one of those movies i love even more every time i watch it and begin to see the plot as a whole... it seems like one of those movies that it really helps to be familiar with the book, which i've never read.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:54:03 PM »

I only saw about 5 minutes of this movie. All I remember is that Burt Lancaster and John Hurt are in it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 05:43:04 PM »

I think the movie was too short, it needed more time to develop the story and the characters.  Overall the acting was great though.  I like the plot in theory, but I think it was done in a rather cursory manner.  I know Peckinpah didn't think much of this film and wasn't allowed to rewrite the script at all, so that could explain why.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 05:44:14 PM »

It's a shame Bloody Sam didn't go out with his last film with a bang.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 06:11:28 PM »

IIRC from David Weddle's bio of Sam, Sam bit the bullet with "Osterman" and did it without complaint because he was trying to make a comeback.  On "The Killer Elite" and "Convoy" he not only clashed with the studio like on "Major Dundee" etc., he actively tried to undermine the movie as a "screw you" to the producers.  "The Osterman Weekend" may have been pretty much the only Peckinpah film that didn't go overbudget.  Unfortunately, though the film was a big hit, Sam was dead within a year of it's release - which is a shame, he definitely had some good stuff left in him.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »

IIRC from David Weddle's bio of Sam, Sam bit the bullet with "Osterman" and did it without complaint because he was trying to make a comeback.  On "The Killer Elite" and "Convoy" he not only clashed with the studio like on "Major Dundee" etc., he actively tried to undermine the movie as a "screw you" to the producers.  "The Osterman Weekend" may have been pretty much the only Peckinpah film that didn't go overbudget.  Unfortunately, though the film was a big hit, Sam was dead within a year of it's release - which is a shame, he definitely had some good stuff left in him.

It's either his films were a huge success but were torn apart by critics or his films were a huge success but he didn't live to see it.   Roll Eyes

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 06:53:47 AM »

It's either his films were a huge success but were torn apart by critics or his films were a huge success but he didn't live to see it.   Roll Eyes

LOL that's true.

CISCO
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »

from what i've picked up on, everytime sam got it down to a wrap the studios would change who was in charge
and they gave him bloody hell.

sam compared himself to a good whore vs. a bad whore.
catch the film clip of sam on TCM  Wink "edge of outside "

i saw the osterman weekend but i don't remember being in the theater.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »

Sam Peckinpah must've been a depressed person after how many times the studios screwed him over.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 05:41:13 AM »

The booze and coke certainly didn't help him either.  Based on his state-of-mind in the late '70s-early '80s he seemed to have been a borderline schizophrenic.  He did seem to clean up his act towards the end of his life, however, he was able to give up drugs for the most part and quit drinking, but it was too late for him. . . I almost feel sorry for Sam, but then again he brought it all upon himself.  Undecided

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »

The other thing that counts against Sam was his readiness to exploit the goodwill of those around him. He used people, and the fact that most of those people don't seem to have minded doesn't change the truth of the matter. (The amazing documentary that comes with the Criterion Straw Dogs DVD covers all this pretty well).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tim
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »

Caught this last week on AMC and enjoyed it although I usually enjoy Peckinpah movies.  However, did anyone have a problem with the end?  How does Rutger Hauer go from television studio to that closed container where John Hurt is, and then back again?! 

Either way, I liked it.  It was by no means classic Peckinpah, but it still was entertaining.  Anyone read the book by Robert Ludlum?  Sounds like Sam took some artistic license.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »

To answer your question, I think the scene was supposed to be a montage, the events weren't happening simultaneously.  But yeah, it confused the hell out of me, too.  It didn't make any sense at all.

Craig T. Nelson was great though, I never knew he was such a good actor.  "The truth is a lie that hasn't been found out yet" - I love that line!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM