Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:31:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Siege of Leningrad
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Siege of Leningrad  (Read 3698 times)
tucos
Road Apple

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »

Does anyone of you, maybe, know something about this, or came across "the draft" of the film that (I find and read this somewhere) Leone was planing to make - the film about a siege of Leningrad in WWII? I would be very thankfull to anyone who can say anything about this (about his plans, potential script, cast...).

But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:37:20 AM »

It was called the 900 days of leningrad. there is a topic about that somewhere... try to look for it... There are discussions about Robert DeNiro beeing inside or not, and the opening sequence is described.
if you cannot find it, i'll may be translate the chapter of Conversations Avec Sergio Leone that is about it, there is the whole plot (and, again, the opening sequence) one of these days...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
tucos
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »

I would be very thankfull to you if you translate that to me. Once again, thank you in advance.

But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 03:41:20 AM »

I would be very thankfull to you if you translate that to me. Once again, thank you in advance.

I have not forgoten, i'll do it in a few days.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
tucos
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:26:14 AM »

I have not forgoten, i'll do it in a few days.

I was afraid thet you forgot about it.  Undecided Thank you very much.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »

Does anyone of you, maybe, know something about this, or came across "the draft" of the film that (I find and read this somewhere) Leone was planing to make - the film about a siege of Leningrad in WWII? I would be very thankfull to anyone who can say anything about this (about his plans, potential script, cast...).

There was no script. Sergio got the financing and the green light from russian authorities based just on a very short treatment and an opening sequence he described to some people. This opening sequence is stunningly described in Christopher Frayling's book "Something to do with death", page 464 - 465.
It would have made history, as he planned a single long shot (15 minutes or so), with the camera travelling from the inside of a window (with somebody playing the piano) to the city of Leningrad, showing the besieged city (people lining up for food, drunks, killings etc) and travelling to the outskirts, where the camera would show 1.000 german panzers (yes, one thousand!), until you hear a german commander ordering: "Feuer!". With the first cannon shot, the opening credits would start with "A Sergio Leone Film".
It would have been the most expensive single shot in cinema history.
Music would have been by Morricone, the cast would have included Bob De Niro and Mickey Rourke, who spent two months with Leone before he died.
When I read the opening sequence as described by Leone, I could actually see it and it blew my mind! I highly recommend you buy Frayling's book, as it is a must for anybody who admires Sergio's work.

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:10:17 AM »

It would have made history, as he planned a single long shot (15 minutes or so), with the camera travelling from the inside of a window (with somebody playing the piano) to the city of Leningrad, showing the besieged city (people lining up for food, drunks, killings etc) and travelling to the outskirts, where the camera would show 1.000 german panzers (yes, one thousand!), until you hear a german commander ordering: "Feuer!". With the first cannon shot, the opening credits would start with "A Sergio Leone Film".
It would have been the most expensive single shot in cinema history.
Music would have been by Morricone, the cast would have included Bob De Niro and Mickey Rourke, who spent two months with Leone before he died.
When I read the opening sequence as described by Leone, I could actually see it and it blew my mind! I highly recommend you buy Frayling's book, as it is a must for anybody who admires Sergio's work.

Oh!!! I didn`t know this. What an opening sequence it would be... What a film it would be... What a genius... One in a million years genius...

Thank you for this comment Leonardo.  Afro It left me speachless...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:44:19 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:32 AM »

Sergio´s WW II movie...

who would you trust to take over the reigns of this movie

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »

Frayling discusses The Siege of Leningrad project extensively in the final chapter of Something To Do With Death... Leone had big ideas for the movie, but there was no script. Just some basic ideas. The only specific scenes Leone had in mind were the first and the last. I will describe briefly some of what Frayling says about it (in that chapter, he discusses all the projects Leone was involved in after OUATIA; but they were all in very early stages; he died before any of them could be completed. (I believe there is one script that was actually completed or maybe partially completed that was printed a few years ago in a French magazine; I forgot the name; it's been mentioned somewhere on these boards). If you are an English-speaking Leone fan, you must, must, must buy Frayling's book. IMO it is the single most essential item for any Leone' fan's collection, after the movies themselves.

Anyway, I'll describe a little of what Frayling wrote about The Siege of Leningrad.

The basic idea of the story was to show the siege of Leningrad, and how the Russian people persevered through those awful times. It was to be filmed in the USSR, with cooperation of the Soviet government, and be a major international co-production. Frayling says that Leone first became interested in doing the project after reading a book called The 900 Days (1969), by Harrison E. Salisbury. Later, Leone discovered the "even more splendid" historical account in a book called The Book of the Siege, by Danil Granin and Alex Adamovic. Leone said "I can't mention Salisbury over there, because the Russians don't have very good memories of him."

Frayling says that Leone estimated that "the researching and writing of the script would take a year (five months of it i Leningrad), the filming another year, and the post-production six months. So it would be a two-and-half-years-project, at least." (p. 472) It was to be a co-production between the USSR and some others; it may have been some Americans. Although Andrea Leone says "it was to be a co-production between Italy and Russia [an RAI/Soviet consortium]." (p. 473)

Leone wanted to portray it as the resilience of the Russian people helping them to withstand the siege and defeat the Nazis. The heroes would be the resilient citizens. But this may have caused some problems with the government, who wanted to make sure that the Communist Party would be portrayed as the heroes, not the individual citizens   Roll Eyes (FUCKING COMMIES!)

The basic story would have been about an American newsreel photographer (possibly played by Robert De Niro) documenting the siege,  falling in love with a Russian girl. But no script was prepared, I don't even think a treatment was prepared. Leone basically had these pages on which were typed the words, something like THE SIEGE OF LENINGRAD, A FILM BY SERGIO LEONE," just so he could get a copyright on the title and have something to show investors. But there was no real story yet. Just the basic idea of showing the siege, through an American neqwsreel photographer falling in love with a Russian girl; I think they may have a baby together as well.
As for specific scenes, Leone basically only had the opening scene and the closing scene:
Delli Colli would be the cinematographer, and Morricone would have made the score, although Dmitri Soskatovich's 7th Symphony, called the "Leningrad Symphony" was to be a big part of the score. The major opening scene, which Leonardo described above, would begin with "a big close-up of the hands of Dmitri Soskatovich, playing his piano." (p. 464) After all the hell described in the opening scene, we cut (the very first cut of the movie!) to a packed concert hall where Shostakovich is playing his 7th. 150 musicians and 4,500 spectators. Toward the end of the film, after the siege is finally over, there would again be a scene with the same symphony playing in the same hall, with everything looking the same... except that there are only 9 musicians and 46 spectators. Everyone else had been killed.

The final scene would have the woman in a theater, watching newsreels And she knows that it is her lover who is shooting them,  from his unique style of photography. As she is watching the newsreels in the theater, (i guess it was live?) suddenly, the camera falls and spins.... she realizes that he has been shot and killed. This was to be the final scene (although it seems Leone at various times changed his description about this scene, and sometimes described it with a happy ending. And who knows what would have actually happened if the movie would have been made?) But as far as we know, all Leone had was that basic story, and those few scenes.

It seems like this may have been the most ambitious movie project of all-time.

Sadly, Sergio died way too early  Cry

Now do yourself a favor and buy STDWD. It's available cheaply on Amazon and eBay  Wink

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:31:09 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »

Sergio´s WW II movie...

who would you trust to take over the reigns of this movie

Well it seems Giuseppe Tornatore will be the one doing it. I for one am very happy about that. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »

No one.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »

Frayling describes that opening scene  of The Siege of Leningrad in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEPHkP6DAk

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM