Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:47:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)  (Read 10397 times)
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:01:26 AM »

I managed to catch up with Tommy Lee Jones' directorial debut, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, last night.  While it's firmly in the category of "film of the American West," as opposed to a traditional western, there's plenty that will appeal to those of us who love the genre.  It is a quiet, almost meditative, examination of guilt, retribution and penance with strong performances by Jones and pretty much everyone else in the cast.  Don't miss it.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 01:08:11 PM »

Does anyone even plan to check this film out?

--> Submit today! <--
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 01:37:44 PM »

I did check it out a while ago... I was somehow lucky enough to find a theatre it was playing at(limited releases don't get much playing time around these parts)... The comparisons to bring me the head of alredo garcia, which is my all time favorite movie, are appropriate, it really does feel like a peckinpah film and I can't wait to see more from jones as a director, it really was a wonderfully refreshing cynical film, there aren't too many out there these days that aren't out and out desperate horror movies with no realism... so if you are looking for what i consider the holy triple threat of cinema, realism, cinicism, and revenge, then go see this movie, you will love it like i did.

I agree it's a can't miss... specially for folks on this board.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

Not me: I don't like the title (Melquiades Estrada? what a name is that for a movie?) and the plot lines  you sketch (" a quiet, almost meditative, examination of guilt, retribution and penance") put me to sleep.
Of course I may be wrong but that is the first impression and I always go with that.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »

It's great. Sorry, I don't have the time to "prove" it:) well i have to go, but it is great. It is more for lovers of OUATITW than for GBU fans;)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 07:42:54 PM »

Not me: I don't like the title (Melquiades Estrada? what a name is that for a movie?) and the plot lines  you sketch (" a quiet, almost meditative, examination of guilt, retribution and penance") put me to sleep.
Well, you're missing out.  As another poster said, I don't really have the time to "prove" it.  I can only say that it's well worth the time to seek it out and watch it, and leave it at that.

--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:59:11 PM »

Does anyone even plan to check this film out?

soon enough I'm sure.
When it hits a theatre near me. of course I'm sure the advertisment will be non-existant so I will have to keep a sharp eye out.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:06:44 PM »

When it hits a theatre near me.
Seeing as it's already out on DVD, I doubt it'll actually do that.  You may just have to check it out on the small screen, as most of us are.

--> Submit today! <--
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »

yeah, it's strange, out here in the middle of nowhere is the worst place in the country to get decent limited release stuff, but there is this one theatre that every once in a while shows an absolute gem of a release, i got to see this on the big screen somehow... same thing happened with duck you sucker, the conformist, and the passenger, i was completely surprised they were showing within 10 hours of my house... but i consider myself very lucky to have seen them on the big screen.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 08:27:28 PM »

Seeing as it's already out on DVD, I doubt it'll actually do that.  You may just have to check it out on the small screen, as most of us are.

oh. dont I feel stupid. I didnt realize this.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 11:32:28 AM »

Saw it in theatres, loved it, bought the dvd in June, and loved it again.  The whole cast gave exceptional performances, especially Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Pepper.  And to me, it seemed like a blending of all the great western directors.  If Leone, Ford, and Peckinpah made a movie together (I can hear the heavens come crashing down) it would have been like Three Burials.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »

I'll be checking it out soon too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 09:42:16 PM »

Finally got around to this flick, it is good, very good in fact I recomend it a lot. The last sequences when Jones is carrying the body back to Mexico is is just great. The The cinematography and scenery is beautiful, and it will really remind you of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia.

I'll Have to pick up the DVD. Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 09:44:15 PM »

Finally got around to this flick, it is good, very good in fact I recomend it a lot. The last sequences when Jones is carrying the body back to Mexico is is just great. The The cinematography and scenery is beautiful, and it will really remind you of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia.

I'll Have to pick up the DVD. Cool

Where did you see the movie?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 09:51:23 PM »

rented it

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM