Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 02:10:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pirates of the Carribean 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pirates of the Carribean 2  (Read 16835 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:07:48 PM »

The entertainment and originality of the first is lost on this sequel.
The Action sequences tend to repeat themselves (how many times does the Kraken attack a boat?) and the films explanation of a plot is lost among a plethora of hard to understand accents (British, Irish, Scottish, Haitian, Spanish, Russian etc.).

you get a vague understanding of what is going on but mostly you are just lost throughout the whole 2 hours and 50 minutes.

and yes even Depp's performance as the drunken Jack Sparrow, which got him an oscar nod three years ago(I'm still shocked over this), seems forced upon the audience.
It was as if Depp was holding up a sign the whole film saying "LOOK AT ME! I'M FUNNY!"!!!!

I was shocked to hear a rousing applause when the credits started to roll.
and wouldnt ya know it, it became the biggest box office opening in history (surpassing last year's Star wars).

the one glimmer of light that stopped this affair from being a total waste of time is the visual effects.
Truth be told...
The movie has the best CGI I have ever laid my eyes on. The computer generated actors do not draw attention to themselves by looking "off". They look as if they are actually there.

The sea monster kraken has a tendency to look a bit off at times but overall A+++++++++
for those visuals.
now lets work on story and plotting for the third and (hopefully) final installment mmmm?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:40:44 PM »

Saw it last night, wasn't all that impressed, reminded me of Star Wars & Indiana Jones, bubble gum stuff, not adult fair of the likes of Lawrence of Arabia or OUTITW, but what do you expect it was Disney, and you can see the new ride additions to PotC, (the Kracen and the Flying Dutchman) to the theme parks.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:54:18 PM »

It just felt they Gore Verbinski tried to do too much with the middle movie of the sequel.  The parts with the cannibal island, Will Turner and Gibbs trying to escape in the hamster wheel were good, but it just seemed like there were too many subplots that were never dealt with.

However, I did like the twist ending, but I'm a sucker for surprise endings.  Regardless of my feelings on Dead Man's Chest, I'll be seeing POTC: The World's End next May.  Just gotta find out what happens....

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »

Saw it last night, wasn't all that impressed, reminded me of Star Wars & Indiana Jones, bubble gum stuff, not adult fair of the likes of Lawrence of Arabia or OUTITW, but what do you expect it was Disney, and you can see the new ride additions to PotC, (the Kracen and the Flying Dutchman) to the theme parks.

the first one was far better Joe(it was a pleasent surprise). Even though its still cutesy in some instances. But at least it has a cohesive plot and fun story with a great performance by Depp.

Dead Man's chest was just a bunch of good ideas gone to waste. It had a great premise but everything is bogged down by its length and bad plotting. There is virtually no build up to the three way sword fight towards the end but the situation is pretty cool. But the sword fight is lackluster. There is no elegance or grace to the fight at all (not to mention no sense of choreography).

here's to the third chapter being better than this stinker.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 04:11:25 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

all to see here is

1.Jack Sparrow's entrance as he blasts the crow of the lid of the coffin.

2. Davy Jones and his crew

3. visual effects (which include jone's and his crew)

Joe, you werent impressed by the visuals?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 04:24:11 PM »

I had a most bizarre dream last night, in which my family and myself went to see this film and completely blacked out while watching it!  Dunno what that means, but I'm taking that as an omen.  Shocked

I liked the first one but I thought the ending was much too dragged out.  The ads for this sequel don't look overly encouraging, and with my dream thrown in I may decide not to see it.  Grin Truth be told I can't stand Johnny Depp, I think he's good actor but I just don't like him.  But POTC is one of the few films that I can put up with him for more than a few minutes in, dunno why.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »

I had a most bizarre dream last night, in which my family and myself went to see this film and completely blacked out while watching it!  Dunno what that means, but I'm taking that as an omen.  Shocked

perhaps while you were in a deep sleep you were channeling me when I was watching the film.
I lost track of the film after the first twenty minutes and "blacked out".

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 05:02:43 PM »

Yea the visuals were great, the story was a bit hohum, I really liked Davy Jones, he remined me for some reason of Johnny Carson, that look of his eyes looked like Johnny, lol.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:04:46 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »

does it bother anyone else that there is a pg-13 PIRATE movie with two of the least manly hollywood stars around as the nearly crossdressing main characters?

I know it's disney but it's just funny that there has never really been a R rated pirate movie that came anywhere near realism... it's all peter pans and jack sparrows. that is what ticks me off about these POTC movies... but you are right, the effects do look amazing.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »

Yea, I agree they could make a really kick ass pirate film, the real pirates were really a bloody bunch of cutthroats.

It is surprizing, someome should make a "Devils Rejects" style pirate film.  Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 06:48:18 PM »

Yea, I agree they could make a really kick ass pirate film, the real pirates were really a bloody bunch of cutthroats.

It is surprizing, someome should make a "Devils Rejects" style pirate film.  Grin

well what were you guys expecting?
The film is pg-13 and is based on a ride in the disney parks.
what did you guys want? Throats being cut on screen and violent pillagings and rapes?

fun fact on captain Blackbeard...

On the day of his death it was said that his ship was boarded by two English vessels and a bloody sword fight ensued. Blackbeard's Throat was cut open but he kept on fighting and took down a few British officers before he was finally over powered by several men and brutally stabbed to death. His head was cut off and legend has it that his head kept talking long after they threw it to the sea into Davy Jones's Locker.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 06:51:58 PM »

psst...Avast there...

DER BE SPOILERS AHEAD MATEY!

anybody know what was up with Elizabeth apparently having the hots for Jack? That seemed to have come out of nowhere. The compass that shows what you desire most was pointing towards Jack when Elizabeth was holding it. whats up with that? will that be explained in the third film or was that one of the many side plots that are never answered or fully explored?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 07:53:24 PM »

well what were you guys expecting?
The film is pg-13 and is based on a ride in the disney parks.
what did you guys want? Throats being cut on screen and violent pillagings and rapes?

I obviously didn't expect it or want it from this film in particular, I just find it odd how (basically children) television and movies show cartoony versions pirates and vikings and knights and such without much of the other side, realistic and violent movies about such things don't really exist, you would think that there would at least be a few... I mean it makes me wonder what kind of movies and television will arise about nazis or middle-eastern terrorists in a few hundred years. it's not as if vikings or pirates were any less violent or horrifying, if anything they were more extreme and yet all we get now are cartoonish lighthearted entertainment from them... personally I'm always glued to my seat when i watch something on the history channel about their bloody raids and ****** like that... it's great and I'd love to see some realistic pirate or viking movies.

so was i expecting it? no... do i want it? yes... I would even go as far to say that movies like this don't really have much merit(aka how could i possibly enjoy them), I mean if you have no interest in actual bloody and violent pirates then by all means enjoy the hell out of the POTC movies, but for example how could a world war II buff enjoy a movie where disneyish nazi's go around annoyingly tickling jews with feathers while the british army battles huge fire breathing dragons and hitler conjurs up attila the huns ghost to help win the war, it's absurd.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 08:04:34 PM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 08:01:25 PM »

Am hoping to see this soon. Had a funny thing happen to me regarding this film.

On way into work I walked through Leicester Square and noticed there was a big crowd outside The Odeon Cinema. Thought nothing of it and squeezed my way through. As I came out I realised I had passed past some barriers and was walking along the Red Carpet of the Premiere for POTC 2! Luckily they were only setting up so I walked along and asked to be let out the other side. Have been to premieres before where I walked the red carpet as a guest, not as an unwitting intruder  Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tim
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 10:44:56 PM »

anybody know what was up with Elizabeth apparently having the hots for Jack? That seemed to have come out of nowhere

Firecracker, while I do think Lizzie has some deep-down attraction to Jack, I think her reasoning was rather simple.  She wanted to tie Jack to the ship so that the Kracken would eventually kill him.  And what was a good way for her to trick Jack?  Take advantage of his physical attraction to her.

Of course, Will doesn't know that she bolted him to the ship, he just saw her kiss Jack and drew his own conclusions.  Should be interesting to see how that develops/resolves itself in the third one.  Anyone read the scene a different way?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM