Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 08:30:04 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pirates of the Carribean 2
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 5
: Pirates of the Carribean 2  ( 19208 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #15 : July 12, 2006, 09:58:24 PM »

Firecracker, while I do think Lizzie has some deep-down attraction to Jack, I think her reasoning was rather simple.  She wanted to tie Jack to the ship so that the Kracken would eventually kill him.  And what was a good way for her to trick Jack?  Take advantage of his physical attraction to her.

good explanation but I dont think so Tim. The compass shows what you want most, at the time she wanted her husband (fiance...whatever). The compass pointing to Jack cannot possibly mean she wants his demise because at the time she needed him to find Will and she trusted him. The only other answer is she has an attraction for him. Hopefully that is the case so I can see this develop into a more interesting story for the third film.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #16 : July 12, 2006, 10:05:11 PM »

I obviously didn't expect it or want it from this film in particular, I just find it odd how (basically children) television and movies show cartoony versions pirates and vikings and knights and such without much of the other side, realistic and violent movies about such things don't really exist, you would think that there would at least be a few... I mean it makes me wonder what kind of movies and television will arise about nazis or middle-eastern terrorists in a few hundred years. it's not as if vikings or pirates were any less violent or horrifying, if anything they were more extreme and yet all we get now are cartoonish lighthearted entertainment from them... personally I'm always glued to my seat when i watch something on the history channel about their bloody raids and ****** like that... it's great and I'd love to see some realistic pirate or viking movies.

so was i expecting it? no... do i want it? yes... I would even go as far to say that movies like this don't really have much merit(aka how could i possibly enjoy them), I mean if you have no interest in actual bloody and violent pirates then by all means enjoy the hell out of the POTC movies, but for example how could a world war II buff enjoy a movie where disneyish nazi's go around annoyingly tickling jews with feathers while the british army battles huge fire breathing dragons and hitler conjurs up attila the huns ghost to help win the war, it's absurd.

Its rather hard to make an "adult" pirate film isnt it? Pirates these days are seen as escapist fantasies for children (Peter Pan, Old swashbuckler movie serials, countless Animated "Treasure Island" rehashes etc.). If an R Rated Pirate film were to be made I honestly think it would tank. The majority of adults wont go for it only seeing it as a childrens movie despite the obvious "R" rating.

The execs are smart not to take on a gory realistic Pirate film for adults.

I say enjoy this pirate craze while it lasts. The only thing that is keeping the public interested is Johnny Depp's performance anyway. Without him, I doubt the first flick would have been a hit.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #17 : July 13, 2006, 02:55:19 AM »

The majority of adults wont go for it only seeing it as a childrens movie despite the obvious "R" rating.

The execs are smart not to take on a gory realistic Pirate film for adults.

I'm not contesting that this isn't the case, i'm simply saying that the fact that this is the reality of the situation is completely absurd and makes no sense... like i said cartoony pirates with treasure maps is like silly nazis with feathers for weapons, i'm just appalled it ever came to this, that pirates are now only popular through the fantasy of children's movies, it makes you wonder what will be in the wonderful fantasy dream world of children 500 years from now.

I say enjoy this pirate craze while it lasts. The only thing that is keeping the public interested is Johnny Depp's performance anyway. Without him, I doubt the first flick would have been a hit.

like i said while i have no problem with other people enjoying this quasi-pirate craze, my enjoying it would be something like a civil war buff enjoying a movie where lincoln uses magic spells and potions to trick southerners into giving up their slaves... it's just not possible.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« #18 : July 13, 2006, 07:15:35 AM »

Ventured to see this as I loved the first one and I like this one as well, hey its a kids film that families can enjoy, Depp I love he steals these movies.
Its not often me the wife and the Kids hit a movie together and Pirates does it for us.
Mind you a cut throat pirate movie Devil Rejects style would be good for the future.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #19 : July 13, 2006, 12:42:48 PM »

I'm not contesting that this isn't the case, i'm simply saying that the fact that this is the reality of the situation is completely absurd and makes no sense... like i said cartoony pirates with treasure maps is like silly nazis with feathers for weapons, i'm just appalled it ever came to this, that pirates are now only popular through the fantasy of children's movies, it makes you wonder what will be in the wonderful fantasy dream world of children 500 years from now.

Granpa chum:

just curious, would you detest a Western with supernatural elements(basically POTC in a western setting)?
i think it would be a good idea to experiment with actually.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #20 : July 13, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »

Ventured to see this as I loved the first one and I like this one as well,

I love the first one too but this one turned me off with its rambling plot(or lack there of).

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #21 : July 13, 2006, 01:11:39 PM »

I found the first one too long personally, so if this one feels longer i'll probably give it a miss!!  ::)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #22 : July 13, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »

Granpa chum:

just curious, would you detest a Western with supernatural elements(basically POTC in a western setting)?
i think it would be a good idea to experiment with actually.

that depends...if it was done right it could work, i wouldn't object to it simply because it was supernatural... mostly because it's not the norm and it would be original, on the other hand if it were the only kind of western coming out i'd be pretty peeved(that's my only beef with potc, if there were 2 realistic pirate movies for every potc i'd be fine with it).

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #23 : July 13, 2006, 07:58:13 PM »

that depends...if it was done right it could work, i wouldn't object to it simply because it was supernatural... mostly because it's not the norm and it would be original, on the other hand if it were the only kind of western coming out i'd be pretty peeved(that's my only beef with potc, if there were 2 realistic pirate movies for every potc i'd be fine with it).

Duuuhhh! That was already done Renegade (Blueberry) 8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #24 : July 13, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »

Duuuhhh! That was already done Renegade (Blueberry) 8)

was that any good?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #25 : July 14, 2006, 04:22:01 AM »

You haven't seen it!?

I thought it was great, mind you I'd never seen Blueberry so I wasn't disappointed with the story line, its really not bad at all, and it has two original SW actors Ernest Borgnine as "Rolling Star", and Geoffrey Lewis from MNIN, so it had linkage too.

Think some of it was shot in Almeria and the effects were ok, and I didn't mind the psycadelic showdown  8).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #26 : July 14, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »

You haven't seen it!?

I see it in Blockbuster all the time but it always drives me away from renting it because it looks like one of those westerns that are direct to video imports like the awful "Brothers in arms".

I must have a look see at this then. Of course, now that I'm interested I'm sure blockbuster wont have it anymore ::)

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #27 : July 14, 2006, 09:30:36 AM »

I see it in Blockbuster all the time but it always drives me away from renting it because it looks like one of those westerns that are direct to video imports like the awful "Brothers in arms".

I must have a look see at this then. Of course, now that I'm interested I'm sure blockbuster wont have it anymore ::)

OH MY GOD!!!

Blockbuster has westerns?!?   ;D

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #28 : July 14, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »

Blockbuster has westerns?!?   ;D

It's not all good.
my blockbuster doesnt even carry the first two dollar films.

it does have some interesting selections though...

Chato's land(rented it already)
Valdez is coming(I'll check it out eventually)
Bite the Bullet
Renegade
most of Clint's westerns

and some crappy direct to video westerns that range from supernatural western to just plain flavor.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #29 : July 14, 2006, 09:54:49 AM »

It's not all good.
my blockbuster doesnt even carry the first two dollar films.

it does have some interesting selections though...

Chato's land(rented it already)
Valdez is coming(I'll check it out eventually)
Bite the Bullet
Renegade
most of Clint's westerns

and some crappy direct to video westerns that range from supernatural western to just plain flavor.

That's why I go to Hollywood Video. It has a great selection, and if you go up to the front desk and ask for a movie made below the year of 1990 they won't laugh at you.   ;D

: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines