Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 04:22:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Spanish
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spanish  (Read 8610 times)
Beebs
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:13:40 PM »

My spanish isn't very good, so maybe this will sound like a dumb question. Forgive me...

When Joe grabs the post to get off is mule that "don't like people laughin'", he says, "Hello" to Silvanito. Silvanito says something like "Saloos". Now maybe I'm hearing it wrong or butchering the Spanish language but what is he saying. Obviously some kind of greeting. But I only know Hola

Tim
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »

I haven't watched FOD in awhile, but could it be "Salud" as in "to your health."  I'm not much for spanish slang, but from what you wrote there Beebs it could be "salud."  Just a guess of course.

I'll have to go back and check.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »

I haven't watched FOD in awhile, but could it be "Salud" as in "to your health."  I'm not much for spanish slang, but from what you wrote there Beebs it could be "salud."  Just a guess of course.

I'll have to go back and check.

your right Tim. "saludos" does mean "to your health" and/or "greetings".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 04:44:09 PM »

I don't know a bit of Spanish, and I'm taking it in school.   Grin

I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't see any point in learning a second language if you're not planning on going to another country where they speak a foreign language. Why should I have to learn another language when I speak my own fluently? No offense but if a person moves to another country they should learn the language, it's only fair.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:56:33 PM by The Peacemaker » Logged

Beebs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »

I don't know a bit of Spanish, and I'm taking it in school.   Grin

I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't see any point in learning a second language if you're not planning on going to another country where they speak a foreign language. Why should I have to learn another language when I speak my own fluently? No offense but if a person moves to another country they should learn the language, it's only fair.

I agree. Why add another language if you're still learning your own. English is a class all throughout schooling.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:35:50 PM »

well you never know where life will take you. You just might find yourself in parts of the country where not many speak English (believe it).
If you find yourself in some parts of California or Florida the majority of citizens of these certain places only speak spanish (or another foreign language) and not a lick of English.

Of course these certain individuals shouldnt be lazy and start to learn english (they are living in the US after all).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:40:24 PM »

and you may want to go to Almeria someday.....

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »

and you may want to go to Almeria someday.....

good example Joe.

You  see Peacemaker. It's somewhat important.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »

It's funny, I did want to see Almeria ( what Leone fan wouldn't? ) I guess there is some use for another language. But they should teach it to kids at an earlier age when their minds are capable of learning a complex language. Instead they wait until now when I have a great English vocabulary and am well past the stages of lingual development.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:47:54 AM »

I'm with you Peacemaker, I've been taking German for four years (finally dropped it my senior year) and I barely know ten words of German!  Grin If you're going to teach kids a foreign language, it should be earlier in life.

On the other hand, one of my school friends (or more than one I should say) has mastered the Spanish language pretty well, so maybe I'm just not a linguist.  Tongue

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »

Learning a language or languages prior to adolescence (the Critical Age Hypothesis) appears to be the best method, but what if you miss that window? Should you wait until you have a need for a language to learn it? No; generally speaking (there are, of course, exceptional language learners) the older you are the harder it becomes to learn a second language. 9 is much better than 18, but 18 beats 36 all to hell. The problem for young learners, of course, is knowing which language to learn, since it is impossible to predict future usefulness (I spent high school and college studying German, not knowing I would spend 16 years as an adult in Japan). However, it may be that having a second language makes acquiring a third easier at a later age anyway, so you shouldn't worry too much about picking the "right" one to study now. The best thing is to go with a language you have some interest in, since then you are more likely to keep at it.

Of course, there is also the problem of language retention, which falls under the "use it, or lose it" maxim....

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »

Learning a language or languages prior to adolescence (the Critical Age Hypothesis) appears to be the best method, but what if you miss that window? Should you wait until you have a need for a language to learn it? No; generally speaking (there are, of course, exceptional language learners) the older you are the harder it becomes to learn a second language. 9 is much better than 18, but 18 beats 36 all to hell. The problem for young learners, of course, is knowing which language to learn, since it is impossible to predict future usefulness (I spent high school and college studying German, not knowing I would spend 16 years as an adult in Japan). However, it may be that having a second language makes acquiring a third easier at a later age anyway, so you shouldn't worry too much about picking the "right" one to study now. The best thing is to go with a language you have some interest in, since then you are more likely to keep at it.

Of course, there is also the problem of language retention, which falls under the "use it, or lose it" maxim....

Good summary, I agree.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 07:46:19 PM »

I took a course of Russian in community college a little over a year ago, and I now know the alphabet, some words, a few phrases and can count up to 199. I thought it was pretty fun learning it, but it got really hard really fast. I only got a C+. I've always planned on getting more books on the language to study, or some sort of CD-ROM thing to continue my leanring.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 02:00:34 AM »

I'm with you Peacemaker, I've been taking German for four years (finally dropped it my senior year) and I barely know ten words of German!  Grin If you're going to teach kids a foreign language, it should be earlier in life.

On the other hand, one of my school friends (or more than one I should say) has mastered the Spanish language pretty well, so maybe I'm just not a linguist.  Tongue

Spanish must be really easy to learn, kids of 3 years old can speak it in Spain.........LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 12:19:51 PM »

Spanish must be really easy to learn, kids of 3 years old can speak it in Spain.........LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

ICE

Are you sayin' a 3 year old's smarter than me?  Them's fightin' words!!!     Grin   Grin   Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM