Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:00:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Get Smart (2008)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get Smart (2008)  (Read 3452 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:21:31 AM »

are the adventures of Maxwell Smart and sexy agent 99 going to get a dvd release anytime soon?

every week there seems to be a new sitcom getting the dvd treatment...why not "Get Smart"?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Beebs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:06:14 AM »

I asked you not to tell me that....

I love Get Smart. The theme is great. What a parody of Bond and other secret agent flicks.

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:28:04 AM »

The following is from a Get Smart fansite ( http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/ ), so I would think the series is finally getting a DVD release.

"As first reported here in 2005, anonymous sources confirmed in May 2006 that Time-Life, in cooperation with HBO, will be releasing Get Smart on DVD sometime in the Fall of 2006 in North America. Here are all the details I have at the moment:

All of the episodes are the original, uncut masters!
Each one has been painstakingly restored and they look amazing. Every fan will be stunned by the quality of the restoration and the beautiful look of these restored shows. Leonard Stern has seen the restored episodes and said that finally the show can be seen the way it was meant to be seen.
There are almost two hours of bonus materials on every season set.
Barbara Feldon, Buck Henry, and Mel Brooks will be offering commentary in the season one set and there's more amazing commentaries on the following seasons.
Each season set will feature original features, never before seen footage, and bloopers! Yes, bloopers have been unearthed and they're fabulous!!
Anonymous sources have also confirmed that Time-Life/HBO are working on all five seasons simultaneously! The programs are closed captioned and will only be in English. "

"Time-Life Australia will be releasing Get Smart in September. The DVDs will contain the same beautifully restored, uncut episodes. However, there will be fewer extras. The DVDs will be available in Australia as individual DVDs or season sets. Season one will be released in September and the next four months will see the release of the rest of the season sets. "

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 10:22:42 AM »

sounds great! with lots of special features to boot!

Thanks Sundance!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »

I didn't see a topic on this so, as I saw the trailer in a theatre yesterday, I opened it up. As a long time fan of the series I was against any kind of remake or whatever you want to call this operation. And for a very simple reason: there are no two Don Adams. Is there anybody here among fans that can come up with a name of somebody who could have earned the part? I have no idea of what Steve Carell did before this but, even if he is a good solid comedian I felt embarassed in the few seconds he appears in the trailer. The driving force of that series was the comedian: I was always convinced of this.
The series is, I think, the most successful of all series, of I have to judge by its presence on the small screen in Italy. Originally televised in the '60's, it started being beamed on various local and national tv channels and has never been missing since the late '70's.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:19:42 AM by titoli » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »

I was a fan of the series as well so I felt obliged to check it out after the rave reviews it had gotten.
It isn't terrible but it isn't like the show at all more like a less dirty "Austin Powers" movie.
Its main flaw is that every male Agent at C.O.N.T.R.O.L seems to be just as incompetent and clumsy as Maxwell.
As for "what's her face" as Agent 99, well, she ain't Barbara Felton but she was sexy enough to fill in the role.

Steve Carrell is charming, I think, and was a decent decision as Smart.
I can't think of any other actor apt enough to fill Don Adams' role.

5 out of 10.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »

I didn't see a topic on this so, as I saw the trailer in a theatre yesterday, I opened it up. As a long time fan of the series I was against any kind of remake or whatever you want to call this operation. And for a very simple reason: there are no two Don Adams. Is there anybody here among fans that can come up with a name of somebody who could have earned the part? I have no idea of what Steve Carell did before this but, even if he is a good solid comedian I felt embarassed in the few seconds he appears in the trailer. The driving force of that series was the comedian: I was always convinced of this.
When you're right you're right.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »

I'm a life-long fan of the original series, and was very un-enthusiastic of a big-screen adaptation. But I went and saw it to see how it turned out and was very surprised at how good it was. I didn't like it so much as an adaptation of the series, you could write a novel on how many differences there are to it, but I just liked it for how good it was on it's own terms. Like FC said, it's a non-dirty Austin Powers, though I think this is better that any of the Austin movies. I also gotta say that the nods/references to the series it did have were GREAT, and the writers created what is now my absolute favorite "Would you believe..." line.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »

I can't be totally fair about it because I saw it dubbed (BTW, the current italian dubber can't even start to equal the original Don Adams italian dubber). And the original lines and voices in a comedy count more than in other genres. Still I think that what I had feared was  true. The movie isn't bad, as Hollywood products go. The problem is that the actor, as far as I can't judge, cannot even start to make one forget Don Adams. This was the character DA was born for: I saw him in another series where he plays a supermarket manager and he's not half as funny. Carell lower his eyebrows or remains impassible in the direst situations: but that's all. I also think he makes some mistakes in mimicry rhythm and he's not helped by the too elaborate (compared to the tv series episodes) story. I mean, you never have the impression he's a fool like Don Adams was able to make you understand as you looked in his face. Also, the TV episodes had a much more sustained narrative rhythm, here the story it's too diluted to fill up the usual two hours time.
And we want to talk about the girl? She's young, good looking but in a masculine, aggressive way. The original 99 was very, very feminine (I think she was even prettier, but that may be subjective). 5\10 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »

The original 99 was very, very feminine (I think she was even prettier, but that may be subjective). 
Don titoli, it's like one mind inhabits our two bodies!!!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »

Don titoli, it's like one mind inhabits our two bodies!!!

That should start worrying me, but I presume (and hope) that, on this subject, there are carloads of bodies inhabited by the one and same mind. But I also know that, on this subject, a different mind is CJ's. Otherwise he wouldn't have dared to open up that topic on guest starlets. Cool

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »

Never saw the original series, thought this movie was pretty dumb, but I didn't feel like walking out or anything.  I'd give it a 5 like FC.

And as for Steve Carrell, I think he's a pretty hit-and-miss comedian.  I think he's only funny when they let him be wildly inappropriate or say incredibly socially awkward things, like in the tv series The Office, which I think is very funny.  He's also funny in 40 Year Old Virgin.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:28:44 AM by Silenzio » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM