Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 01:39:48 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  You're not fooling anybody Mr. Weisser!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
: You're not fooling anybody Mr. Weisser!  ( 38108 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #45 : August 25, 2006, 03:53:18 PM »

Might need Firecracker or Marco to verify this-theres a "scene from It Can Be Done...Amigo(1971) "black and white photo on page 172 but i'm near certain  that its actually taken from Ace High.Its the boxing scene were Bud Spencer trades punches with the big black guy! ::)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #46 : August 25, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »

That boxing scene is from Ace High. A question for all the participants to this thread: are you paid from Mr Weisser to mend all the mistakes from the next edition of his book?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #47 : August 25, 2006, 04:13:47 PM »

I wish ;D
The scary thing is that my copy is the 2005 edition,the first print being 1992 so in 13 years neither the author or the publishers couldn't be bothered to correct these mistakes/lies :(

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #48 : August 25, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »

This thread is hilarious. Suddenly Frayling looks as reliable as the Bank of England.........

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #49 : August 25, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »

Not so hilarious that i wasted £30 on that damn book! ;D
Still at least it gives us something to write about and poke fun at! ;)

Sundance
Gunslinger

« #50 : September 06, 2006, 07:23:28 PM »

My latest find is Weissers plot description for Sartana Kills Them All:-
"The story remains a cluttered tale of vigilante justice as Sartana attempts to stop a mysterious gang of gun traffickers who are raiding Cavalry forts and stealing weapons"
OK there are vigilante types in pursuit of Sartana who is himself like 3 other parties trying to get his hands on $100,000 from a robbery but there aren't any "mysterious gangs",no gun traffickers in sight nor any Cavalry forts showing up in the film.In fact the only thing Weisser gets right is Sartana's name which ain't that difficult considering the title? ;D

I haven't seen this film yet, but I do have two bootleg versions of the Koch disc. One is in italian with english subtitles and the other one in english/italian and english subtitles for the italian only parts. From what I have been told, the italian only parts are over 15minutes long.

I am saying this because if you happened to watch the film in english, maybe you're missing 15minutes of the film? (or the guy who made the disc didnt actually have the longest available english language version of the movie) So maybe there might be things like the fort somewhere in those 15minutes. :) I guess I need to check the film someday. :P

EDIT: Also have to add that the differences between versions released in different countries might also cause some problems with several other films. For example Massacre at Fort Holman has two versions in english... the shorter one which has Coburn's own voice and the much longer version (I think it could be even 30minutes longer? ) which doesnt have Coburn's voice. Now someone giving their opinion on the longer version might talk about scenes that are missing from the shorter one and how Coburn is dubbed by someone else, and then others (the ones seeing the shorter version) might think of it as a mistake because the scenes are missing and Coburn has his own voice.

« : September 06, 2006, 07:34:04 PM Sundance »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #51 : September 07, 2006, 02:15:26 AM »

I haven't seen this film yet, but I do have two bootleg versions of the Koch disc. One is in italian with english subtitles and the other one in english/italian and english subtitles for the italian only parts. From what I have been told, the italian only parts are over 15minutes long.

I am saying this because if you happened to watch the film in english, maybe you're missing 15minutes of the film? (or the guy who made the disc didnt actually have the longest available english language version of the movie) So maybe there might be things like the fort somewhere in those 15minutes. :) I guess I need to check the film someday. :P

EDIT: Also have to add that the differences between versions released in different countries might also cause some problems with several other films. For example Massacre at Fort Holman has two versions in english... the shorter one which has Coburn's own voice and the much longer version (I think it could be even 30minutes longer? ) which doesnt have Coburn's voice. Now someone giving their opinion on the longer version might talk about scenes that are missing from the shorter one and how Coburn is dubbed by someone else, and then others (the ones seeing the shorter version) might think of it as a mistake because the scenes are missing and Coburn has his own voice.
Yes i have the English version with extra subtitled bits.So will Mr Weisser be due an apology from me :-[
I have my doubts ;D

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #52 : October 02, 2006, 03:19:34 PM »

In his "Death Rides in Laredo" review Weisser mentions of three sexy but deadly female assassins that are sent to kill the three protagonists.

Where are these female assassins in the movie?
I think I would remember them.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #53 : October 03, 2006, 08:21:25 AM »

In his "Death Rides in Laredo" review Weisser mentions of three sexy but deadly female assassins that are sent to kill the three protagonists.

Where are these female assassins in the movie?
I think I would remember them.
I only watched it once but i can't remember them either!

riotengine
Chicken Thief

« #54 : October 25, 2006, 09:34:24 PM »

How did this guy's book ever get published in the first place?

Okay, I'm probably putting my head in a noose, here...

I don't care for the gaffes or inaccuracies, either. But to be fair, Weisser's book did get published by McFarland Press in...1992.

The book is close to 15 years old now. He seemed to be one of the first guys, along with Christopher Frayling to give spagetti westerns their due.

Constructively, I'd like to see him go back and update the book with corrections. I think there is more interest in spaghetti cinema than ever before and he'd be well served to do so.

Greg Espinoza

"It's a chess piece, the most versatile on the board. It can move in eight different directions, over obstacles, and it's always unexpected."

-- Richard Boone as Paladin
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #55 : October 26, 2006, 01:10:57 AM »

Well if you've read through all this thread(i bet we've barely scratched the surface so far) you'll see that there are just far too many gaffes,inaccuracies and outright lies to allow Weisser any credibilty at all and i can't see how you can defend someone who'se obviously not seen many of the movies he's written about.I think its quite telling that he had a major falling out with Tom Betts(who provided the foreword ) over the mess he was making with the book and it would seem therefore that Weisser was more interested in dollar signs than providing a valuable resource to sw ethusiasts.
Maybe if Weisser/McFarland Books had cared enough ,they colud've completely rehashed the book when it was reprinted in 2005 but i suspect with the £30 per book they're charging,they are laughing all the way to the bank.
The book is useful as a list for (almost) every sw made but then again it seems that Weisser has included stuff that never even existed. ;D

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #56 : October 26, 2006, 01:19:34 AM »

Here's a quote from Arizona Colt which i borrowed from his "Opinions On 28 Spaghetti Westerns" thread:-
"I've been buying Weissers monthly digest ASIAN CULT CINEMA off and on for about 15 years now and you can't believe much teh man says although during the past few years he's been better about actually watching the movies they review. He also put out a book called ASIAN CULT CINEMA: THE BOOK which featured a treasure trove of new and old HK kung fu and action flicks. I could write a book on all the MANY mistakes within the books pages with some movies just simply made up(!). Craig Ledbetter who runs European Trash Cinema used to be his partner but the two had a falling out because of this problem mainly over his Spaghetti Western book which I hear is riddled with errors as well. Weisser also has a guy writing for him who is (in)famous for his "knowledge" in the HK film industry which consists of telling laughably false information on a regular basis that angers fans to no end. The guys name is Ric Meyers and much has been written about his deliriously false statements. "
   I rest my case ;)

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

« #57 : October 26, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »

In Train For Durango Weisser claims Anthony Steffen sports an eyepatch which of course he doesn't.

Actually, Steffen does wear an eyepatch..for a short time...when he & Salerno are in Lobo's camp.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Tim

« #58 : October 26, 2006, 09:06:23 PM »

Now I haven't read Weisser's book, but I'm getting the idea from all the posts.  There is a difference between making mistakes and just being lazy. If you can't write a movie review without actually telling what happened, you probably shouldn't be writing them. 

I just don't understand how he makes things up, and GOT IT PUBLISHED! :o

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #59 : October 27, 2006, 01:43:25 AM »

Actually, Steffen does wear an eyepatch..for a short time...when he & Salerno are in Lobo's camp.
Does this mean there has to be a new "Your not fooling anyone Mr Banjo" thread? :-[
Tim,i guess that most of these films are so obscure that the publishers had no way of telling whether Weisser was for real or not.

: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines