Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2020, 03:11:30 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Minute error on DVD
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Minute error on DVD  ( 5864 )
The clint
Gunslinger

« : July 14, 2006, 04:39:40 PM »

I have the UK Region 2 version of the DVD, and at the point when Sam jumps off the wagon at the watering station and says to Jill "Don't the train stop?" the MPEG decoder seems to have swapped the fields of the image i. e. fields a and b are from mismatched frames, but this error stops about two seconds later. Do you know if this error is just present in the UK copies, all PAL copies, or even all copies of the film, or did I just have a bad one?

Anyway I wasn't all that pleased with the overall video quality, the colours were not as vibrant as I would have liked (Too reddish, if you ask me) and the edge enhancement haloes were a major distraction at times. Hope Paramount redoes it for HD.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #1 : July 14, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »

I have the UK Region 2 version of the DVD, and at the point when Sam jumps off the wagon at the watering station and says to Jill "Don't the train stop?" the MPEG decoder seems to have swapped the fields of the image i. e. fields a and b are from mismatched frames, but this error stops about two seconds later. Do you know if this error is just present in the UK copies, all PAL copies, or even all copies of the film, or did I just have a bad one?

Anyway I wasn't all that pleased with the overall video quality, the colours were not as vibrant as I would have liked (Too reddish, if you ask me) and the edge enhancement haloes were a major distraction at times. Hope Paramount redoes it for HD.

I think that error is only UK because I didn't notice anything wrong with my DVD unless I misunderstood what you meant.   :-[

As for the color, it is very reddish but I'm use to that color ( AMC prints are the same ). You should see it on the big screen, the colors are totally different. It's like an olive green. The film was made for the big screen though, it's breathtaking to see the Monument Valley up there.

The clint
Gunslinger

« #2 : July 15, 2006, 06:29:26 AM »

If you told me how to post a jpeg over here I would show you.

The clint
Gunslinger

« #3 : July 19, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #4 : July 19, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »

I don't get it, what's wrong with the picture Clint?

The clint
Gunslinger

« #5 : July 20, 2006, 11:46:14 AM »

Don't tell me you think it looks all right. Take a look at Claudia Cardinale and say that again!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #6 : July 20, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »

Don't tell me you think it looks all right. Take a look at Claudia Cardinale and say that again!

Oh crap, you're right!

How did you notice something so small? You've got Leone's attention to detail.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : July 20, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »

are you talking about the pixelation?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #8 : July 20, 2006, 07:43:46 PM »

are you talking about the pixelation?

Yep.

The clint
Gunslinger

« #9 : July 21, 2006, 08:42:14 AM »

It's called an interlacing artefact, not pixelation (which looks like blocks of smeared colour info particularly in backgrounds). it lasts a couple of seconds in the film, it was very disarming for me. I wonder how it got past Paramount's (usually dependable) quality control.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : July 21, 2006, 03:35:59 PM »

It's called an interlacing artefact,

Thanks for that tidbit of info.  8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #11 : July 22, 2006, 07:23:24 AM »

Wow i'm in the UK but looks like i made the right judgement getting the Region 1 disc which i bought mainly because the running time is 165 minutes NTSC as opposed to 159 minutes in PAL and i did the same for GBU.

The clint
Gunslinger

« #12 : July 24, 2006, 12:48:52 PM »

Posted by: banjo
Wow i'm in the UK but looks like i made the right judgement getting the Region 1 disc which i bought mainly because the running time is 165 minutes NTSC as opposed to 159 minutes in PAL and i did the same for GBU.

The movies are not cut but are shown at different framerates, that affects the playback length. NTSC runs at 23.976 frames per second, and thus will be a fraction slower than the film shown in the cinemas (at 24 frames per second) while PAL movies are shown at 25 frames per second which results in the movie being played back 4% faster. This is just because of the limitations inherent in the systems current TVs use to display video. AVI files for example can be played back at any frame rate.

If you're after video quality then you should generally choose PAL cause PAL has the suprerior video resolution, but if the sound speed-up is an issue for you, or you want some extra stuff (mono audio option anyone) only found in NTSC you might consider getting the NTSC version.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines