Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:07:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATIA-DVD review
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATIA-DVD review  (Read 8616 times)
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2003, 06:46:53 AM »

Check out www.digitalbits.com for an article about OUATIA. It also includes a short review commenting on the picture quality. It is FANTASTIC. The only bad thing about the DVD is that disc one actually ends 40 minutes before the intermission. They have chosen to do this in order to get top quality on both discs, so I guess we can't complain.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 09:33:52 AM »

Cheers for that link, it was indeed interesting. The intermission later on disc two may be a tad messy, but i'm certainly not complaining after the long wait on to DVD. Anyhow how many of us paused the video to go get a drink or take a trip to the toilet??
There was an issue regarding the run time, but that now seems to be the 229 min on all regions. Plus, it's now being released a week earlier.

"What's a Mook?"
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 02:13:57 PM »

According to Play,the Region 2  DVD runs 220 mins,but that is probably because of the difference between NTSC and Pal.Both the Region 1 and the Region 2 release APPEAR to be the correct running time.My old DVD of this film[it's Portuguese and no,it's not very good] is Pal and runs 217 mins.The much talked-about final flashback was missing from that DVD,so presumably it's in this one.I can;t see there being any difference between the Region 1 and the Region 2 versions of this new relaese.

Whatever,I've pre-ordered the Region 1 one,as it's out a full 2 weeks before the Region 2 release .Shall find time to go through it the very day it arrives!

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 12:42:51 AM »

Shall find time to go through it the very day it arrives!

...and please let us R2-people know if there's anything missing...  Wink

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 01:11:00 PM »

Just recieved e-mail saying DVD has been sent out.Can't wait,can't wait,can't wait.........Should be with me in a week,possibly under!

Ian
Road Apple

No Replicants here! (Sorry, I was around in '82).

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 01:20:49 PM »

I'm hanging on for the R2 version for the (slightly) superior picture, but I can well understand you opting for R1 to shorten the wait. Let me know what it is like. I'm amazed (since the disc is released in R1-land tommorow) that there have been so few reviews on the 'net.  

Tempus Fugit
guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 02:23:32 AM »

This is only for my fellow Italian board shippers, and is terrible news indeed:
do you remember the old F.Amendola dubbing Noodles? Well, forget it!!!
The DVD version of this masterpiece has been completely re-dubbed in order to have a dolby 5.1 track.
This is a tragedy _ even good old Bob DeNiro once said that Amendola's voice was truer than his own talking Italian...
The only thing we can do now is listening to the original track, and I guess this is better than nothing... nonetheless my day is ruined.

To all the non-Italian folks out there, pls forgive my complaint.

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 03:31:25 AM »

here is one more review found on the net:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6617
and here is an excerpt:
"one thing that can be said about the uncut Once Upon a Time in America is that it isn't boring".
Believe me or not, that's one of the few good (Huh)comments the reviewer was able to say.
Everyone has the right to express his/her own opinions.
I, for one, have the right to say I will never look for a film review on that website again...  Wink

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2003, 09:27:17 AM »

This is only for my fellow Italian board shippers, and is terrible news indeed:
do you remember the old F.Amendola dubbing Noodles? Well, forget it!!!
The DVD version of this masterpiece has been completely re-dubbed in order to have a dolby 5.1 track.
This is a tragedy _ even good old Bob DeNiro once said that Amendola's voice was truer than his own talking Italian...
The only thing we can do now is listening to the original track, and I guess this is better than nothing... nonetheless my day is ruined.

THIS IS A CRIME!
I invite Leone's heirs to sell the rights of Sergio's film to somebody that really can take care of the integrity of them.
I am very upset by this news, my indignation couldn't be higher.
After years passed in the wait for this film on DVD, now it is edited, but there's this shameful re-dubbing.

I'm worried about the future.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 09:29:41 AM by TBPJMR » Logged

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 10:18:05 AM »

here is one more review found on the net:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6617
and here is an excerpt:
"one thing that can be said about the uncut Once Upon a Time in America is that it isn't boring".
Believe me or not, that's one of the few good (Huh)comments the reviewer was able to say.

Everyone has the right to express his/her own opinions.
I, for one, have the right to say I will never look for a film review on that website again...  Wink

What a strange review!I think we would all disagree with 95 % of it.

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 07:04:36 AM »

Some more reviews from the net, and it seems OUATIA got some good marks this time...  Wink  

http://www.boxoff.com/scripts/fiw.dll?GetDVDReview?&where=ID&terms=4271

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_6/onceuponatimeinamerica.html

http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?reviewID=3322

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
dirtyden
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »

As intimated in several reviews the length of the movie means the DVD features are limited.

The leone documentary is interesting, particularly the recollections of the screenwriters and the amazing meticulous leone work ethic. The contribution of producer milchin was less warranted due to his part in the movies chequered past. At least he has the decency to admit he was out of his depth.

Woods is as passionate as usual which brings me to the commentary which is frankly sub standard and a big big disappointment. Surely the powers that be could have provided better. When I compare it to the superb commentary on The wicker man for instance when the main actors, director and a critic were brought in. Why couldn't Woods have added his voice. Why couldn't Tarrantino or Scorcese or Millius been brought in. In addition I am disappointed Di Niro couldn't have given time to at least appeared on the documentary.  

Naturally the film itself makes up for the DVD's lack of polish. It looks and sounds wonderful.

Felix E. Martinez
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 01:47:19 PM »

Some more reviews from the net, and it seems OUATIA got some good marks this time...

Well, for what it's worth, here's my take on the DVD.  One of my faves and I tried to do it justice...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3169

Cheers,

« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 01:48:15 PM by Felix E. Martinez » Logged

Felix E. Martinez
Columnist
DVD, ETC. Magazine

Contributor & Writer-At-Large
DVDAngle.com
AmateurHomeTheater.com
McWatt
Road Apple

Who are yeh?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 09:08:41 PM »

Just checked out the R4 version last night.  Goes 220 minutes and disc one finished right where my VHS tape 1 finished (Noodles shoots the bad guy in the grain silo).

Light on the special features - commentary as before and excerpts from a Leone special (the one which got me into Leone in the first place) with (among other things) commentary by Quentin Tarantino calling for a Leone rather than an extreme close-up  Grin

I'd love to see the whole special again.  It was one of a series of 3.  One other was about John Carpenter (and I would more dearly love to see THAT one again) and the other was (I think) Dario Argento.

Oh! and the DVD picture quality was pretty good (judging by the detail on Bobbie's unshaven face in the Opium den.

Chrille
Road Apple

Belch!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 03:31:02 PM »

I agree, picture and sound was great. However, I would actually have preferred slightly lower quality for a 2.35:1 version rather than 1.85:1.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM