Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:55:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Una bara per lo sceriffo aka A Coffin for the Sheriff (1965)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Una bara per lo sceriffo aka A Coffin for the Sheriff (1965)  (Read 9002 times)
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:55:57 AM »

Thanks to the miracle of Bit Torrent, I was able to see A Coffin for the Sheriff, a relatively obscure 1965 Italo-western starring Anthony Steffen and shot in large part in and around the same town set as was used in A Fistful of Dollars.

While I wouldn't say that A Coffin for the Sheriff is bad, I've definitely seen better.  The film has appeal beyond the occasional episode of, "Hey, I recognize that façade!" I found it interesting that the character of Shenandoah was largely a decent fellow, whereas many later Italo-westerns delved so deeply into the nihilistic side of the subgenre that their protagonists were little better than the men they killed.

Oh, and Luciana Gilli was smokin' hot.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:20:18 AM »

Italo-westerns delved so deeply into the nihilistic side of the subgenre that their protagonists were little better than the men they killed.
Well isn't that the point  of sw's post FOD?I've got Coffin For The Sheriff in my pile of sw's to watch so i'll give this a look shortly.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:23:49 AM »

Well isn't that the point  of sw's post FOD?
I'm not sure if one can reduce an entire genre, or even a sub-genre, to a single POV.

--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:44:05 AM »

Will be getting this within days.
interesting title.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »

interesting title.

I'll definitely agree on that count.  Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the movie.  Tongue

--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:33:39 PM »

I'll definitely agree on that count.  Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the movie.  Tongue

if its pre FOD I wouldnt think it would be anymore than average fair. You should get some other titles before you opt for this one.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »

if its pre FOD I wouldnt think it would be anymore than average fair. You should get some other titles before you opt for this one.

I've already seen it, so not seeing it isn't an option.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the film came out in 1965 (after Fistful of Dollars) and even uses some of the same locations.  That makes it definitively post-Leone.

--> Submit today! <--
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:50:22 PM »

Anyway, as I mentioned, the film came out in 1965 (after Fistful of Dollars) and even uses some of the same locations.  That makes it definitively post-Leone.

ok?

I thought we were talking about pre leone.

If you want an above average pre-leone you should check out "The Hills run red". Interestingly it came out a few months before FOD and it has the same style and cynical attitude. So I guess Leone cannot take full credit for creating a genre.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:19:30 AM »

Hills Run Red is 1966 Grin

Just watched Coffin For The Sheriff -i'll write some more under Weissers thread because as usual his review is a pile of crap-but this is a MEDIOCRE sw (not even in my top 150) and unfortunately Shenandoah is a dull role for Steffen,catch him in the excellent No Room To Die instead Wink  . He ain't quite the decent fellow(harbouring counterfeit money) as stated(thankfully) as Fajardo will attest judging by the number of shots Steffen tactifully puts into him before killing him-and the other guys he doesn't hesistate too much to gun down.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 06:29:32 AM by banjo » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 01:23:48 PM »

Hills Run Red is 1966 Grin

yes I realized that last night. My Mistake. ignore what I said.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:25:23 PM »

Arizona Colts  review:-

A COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF- 1965-A pretty good Anthony Steffen western who enjoyed a great deal of popularity throughout the cycle although nearly all his films are just average with none of them being overly memorable. It isn’t a bad thing only none I’ve seen particularly stand out. This is one of the better ones with some good action scenes, a beautiful damsel in distress and a vicious villain played by the always Eduardo Fajardo.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058942/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/steffen.htm

This is a Caiano movie, a guarantee for mediocrity. Still this has 2 or 3 points of interest: Fajardo's performance (always spot on othe various expressions required from the situation), the final shootout which is original (or at least I never saw it before).

Who says (at IMDB) that there is no reason for the title has missed some lines.
Someone has made much of Luciana Gilli: I think her bloated face  is no attractive at all.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

Who says (at IMDB) that there is no reason for the title has missed some lines.

Perhaps in Italian? The english print has no mention of a coffin for a sheriff. There is a sheriff, and if I recall he does get killed but a coffin is not provided.

Saw this many months ago (might have been a year already) and I enjoyed this quite a bit. I wouldn't call it mediocre, more like traditional.
And as Titoli said, the final showdown in the town square is good.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »

When Steffen is held in thrall by the gang, Calvo asks somebody to go to the cemetery and look for some coffin to put Steffen in.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

Actually, it does. When Shenandoah is captured by Lupe Rojo's gang after discovering that he is the traitor (about 50 minutes into the movie), Lupe tells one of his men: "Pablo, go have a look in your graveyard and see if there is a coffin in good condition". Obviously, the idea was to kill Shenandoah. Later, towards the end of the movie, we find that Shenandoah is in fact US Marshall Joe Logan.

THe movie is OK to watch, though the acting is more than questionable: the fight scenes are not too convincing, the kissing between Lupe's woman and Shenandoah is clearly fake, etc. I liked the score from Francesco de Masi and the song "I am an lone and angry man" by Peter Tevis.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM