Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:33:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Morricone song
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Morricone song  (Read 8570 times)
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 03:37:37 AM »

it's all good.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2006, 10:45:56 AM »

titoli, mate, you seen to have a bee in your bonnet about about all things Italiano.
you need not believe me, please, remain with your head in the clouds about how composers, vocalists and orchestras work.
i, on the other hand, have to deal with the above most everyday for the past 40yrs.
Igor Stravinsky, at the same age as Morricone conducted from his scores.
Most every musician who reads for a living does not remember the music. it is impractical in their situation. Morricone has no more "a sort of computer" in his head than you or I. a good memory, yes. precision timing, yes. computer with a 50yr long memory bank - i think not. As far as me memorizing "them" - i have or did  when I was 19yrs old. went to see GBU about 20 times in Sydney, took music paper and pen, and transcribed the melodies whilst watching the film.(they are not that difficult.) Then I arranged them for the band i was in and they were a grerat success.

Morricone would not have been using a score or baton for visual effect - they are required - for cueing.

Your opinion about my taste in female singers and where rate them matters not to me. I like about one Streisand and two Dion songs and about three of Minas.
I work with vocalists a lot, and orchestras and sometimes other composers and run a recording studio in Sydney. I've seen all types in 40 odd years.

These people might be heroes and icons to you, but to me, they are just artists like myself and many others. they are not gods.

mate, you should get out more, there's a lot of good art in the world, besides what Italy produces.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »

I can't deny I'm impressed to know that do actually exist people who, after just hearing 20 times The Rite of Spring or some late Stravinsky dedocaphonic work are able to put them on paper. Maybe this exploit is not worth that of Mozart transcribing an entire Mass after a single hearing but I presume that most of people, even non cognoscenti, would agree with me that this is an exploit worth recording. 

You like Celine Dion? I don't. Even if she were italian. True, I have heard just 2 or 3 tunes and that was enough to make me puke. Probably they were the wrong ones. So, on the strenght of your recommendation, I'll give it another try and, in case I'll find I'm wrong, I'll pubicly admit it (I have no qualms about doing that: I do not consider myself omniscent and infallible).

And about my "nationalistic" taste, I'll let it go at that.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 06:51:35 PM »

fairly tales about people writing out music scores on one hearing from memory make me laugh. especially something really complex and long.
a photography memory is useful in art but not essential.
perfect pitch, the same.
keyword here is imagination - that's the must have.
the only type of artists who really memorize everything are generally performers/groups of performers who have a stage act. this is easy because they are afforded rehearsal time - sound checks etc. and they might have also written the works, and they won't be all the demanding.
what most session musos do is scan their written part for difficult sections, learn them as memorize the rest - music on paper is really a sign language. then ,as soon as the session is completed they promptly forget the details of what they just played. sorta like RAM in a computer when you power down.

some of the videos of Mina in her studio 2001, see her reading the lyrics as she performs. this is also very normal. 9 out of 10 i've recorded do the same.
re: Mina's studio. look very nice but nothing unusual. the mic featuring with her in said clips is a neumann U49 valve jobby, especially  made for soloists/vocals.
a valve mic will round off and harshness in the voice on high notes. these are  firstchoice call in every decent studio. my own studio is very similar (except i don't have the huge estate that surrounds it!!!!
as i said, it's all good. cheers my friend.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 04:33:12 AM »

fairly tales about people writing out music scores on one hearing from memory make me laugh. especially something really complex and long.

In fact I was telling a fairy tale about putting on the same plan a tune like GBU theme and a Stravinsky work.

I've been listening to a lot of Sinatra in the last years because I like to memorize songs (an hobby of mine since I can remember) . I'm always struck by the way his studio recordings usually are more perfect as to phrasing than his live rendition. That means he studied carefully a song before recording it and probably even had in front of him some kind of "score" (he was not a good music reader) probably primarily as a reminder of how to cut or paste the verses, anticipating or retarding the beats. But surely you hear that there's a work behind that, nothing is casual. He didn't do that in concerts though: he followed his mood.  In facts I'm almost never caught by surprise by his live renditions. I presume that goes the more for a director, that has to make march not just himself but others. Once you've done the rehearsal work to keep the band in line there's little to be done and memorize. And with a work like GBU theme or extasy what can you invent without destroying the work itself? Slow it down? Make it faster? In facts, I think that all this concert activity around the Morricone themes is just a commercial venture with no artistic value whatever. Is it just a case that he didn't do that before, dedicating himself to this only in recent years? The definitive version of the tunes (this goes for most of popular music ever since the two tracks recording system was invented) is the one to be heard on the records: especially for somebody who is a master of orchestration and of the studio techniques like M.   

About Mina reading the words at 60, other witnesses say that when she was young she could learn a song at first hearing. Well maybe they were two or three. But that doesn't make much difference, does it?

It's all good, it's all good. Peace.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 06:38:49 AM »

titoli, you're a champ, thank you.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »

It's all good.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print