Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 01:59:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Libertine (2004)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Libertine (2004)  (Read 2557 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

I had seen this in the theater but because of many mumbled and whispered lines + thick accents in many cases I could hardly understand what was going on, but I remember it was a great experience for obvious reasons and because of what I COULD understand Wink

I just got it on DVD and I love it a million times more. One of the greatest movies to come out in a long time. Johnny Depp's performance is one of my favorite, very much on a Brando level.

The handheld camera and natural lighting make this such a unique film on a visual level.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 09:36:15 PM by Poggle » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »

it wasn't bad  Grin just unnoticed, probably not PC enough for the mainstream.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:05:12 PM »

it wasn't bad  Grin just unnoticed, probably not PC enough for the mainstream.

PC? What's PC?

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »

Politically Correct. A good example of a "Politically Incorrect" spaghetti is a film like Django or Django Kills, and even American westerns like The Searchers or Stagecoach for it's indifferent portrayal of racial intolerance.
It's like a stupid "guideline" for not offending people done with the same sensitivity as religious people being offended at cursing, sex related stuff, etc. except it's usually something that exists on both ends of the political spectrum. If something is "politically correct" it's sanitised, in terms, so that no one is offended. It's not very much right wing or left wing, it's just something done by idiots so that people don't feel degraded for stupid reasons.

Leone would be "infamous" for his indifferent portrayal of a male dominated society with the constant allusions to rape and probably even his portrayal of Mexicans.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:17:23 PM by Poggle » Logged
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 10:37:38 PM »

Politically Correct. A good example of a "Politically Incorrect" spaghetti is a film like Django or Django Kills, and even American westerns like The Searchers or Stagecoach for it's indifferent portrayal of racial intolerance.
It's like a stupid "guideline" for not offending people done with the same sensitivity as religious people being offended at cursing, sex related stuff, etc. except it's usually something that exists on both ends of the political spectrum. If something is "politically correct" it's sanitised, in terms, so that no one is offended. It's not very much right wing or left wing, it's just something done by idiots so that people don't feel degraded for stupid reasons.

Leone would be "infamous" for his indifferent portrayal of a male dominated society with the constant allusions to rape and probably even his portrayal of Mexicans.

Thanks Poggle.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 06:00:53 AM »

Yes the Libertine would be offensive to some out there.

Seems like most mainstream films are playing it safe nowadays.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM