Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:12:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  There Was a Crooked Man... (1970)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There Was a Crooked Man... (1970)  (Read 7924 times)
Tim
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066448/

My local Hollywood Video is having a clearance sale of all their VHS movies, so I picked up this western with Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda.  I'd seen it before, but it was a couple years ago and I forgot how much I enjoyed it.  At times, it seems like they're trying to push the envelope, there's some awkward male nudity and some of the more coarse language I've seen in a western, especially from 1970.

But all in all, it's a really good movie.  Great performances from Douglas as Paris Pittman Jr, the likable criminal, and Fonda as Lopeman, the warden who wants to reform all the prisoners.  Very good supporting cast too with Warren Oates in one of his best roles, Hume Cronyn, Burgess Meredith, John Randolph, Michael Blodgett, and Alan Hale.

The VHS was hard for me to find, and I don't see a DVD release in the near future, but if you can find a copy of this underrated and little known western, check it out.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:25:30 PM by Dust Devil » Logged
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:13:41 PM »

never seen it... but can you ask for a better cast?

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:38:41 AM »

Saw this movie only once years ago on uk TV and its always stuck in my mind as a pretty good movie and after years of scanning the tv sheduals it has never been shown again.
Its like another great little movie with Kirk Douglas in who plays a mad Phsyco teacher called Cat and Mouse anyone seen that, and the other one that I love but have only seen twice is Night of the Jugger with James Brolin.
These are great movies but seem to have been lots in time.
The chase through New York at the start of Night of the Jugger lasts for half an hour and has you rivited to your seat.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:51:14 AM »

I saw at the theatre when released and watched it again on tv (over here is programmed failry often) always enjoing it. A pity I never saw it undubbed. But there's also a notable female nude in the movie: let's it all hang out.

The italian title was "Of Cobras and Men".

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »

Saw a great western many many years ago it either had Robert Ryan an actor of his standard in it was all about stolen cash and he plays a bad guy.
The saddlebags with the cash in are hidden in a hole and at the end when he goes to get the money he gets bitten to death by rattle snakes when he puts his hand down the hole to grab the bags
Does this ring a bell with anyone as I want to track it down.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:28:43 AM by Banjo » Logged

Tim
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:53:34 PM »

Sounds like There Was a Crooked Man with Kirk Douglas, not Robert Ryan.  Here's a link to a post I put up about a month ago.  Didn't do much business.   Angry

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3714.0

And more good news, TWACM is going to be released by Warner Bros on dvd in December. 

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/warner-dvd-decision-2006.html

Hope this helps, franksgodson.

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 05:55:57 PM »

Thanks thats the one.
all the best

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »

The italian title was "Men and Cobras" and the poster was totally different from the one I presume is the original one reproduced on the dvd cover (which is already a good reason for buying it). I think that italian distributors picked a better title (as it happened 50% of times) didn't they? In other words: do you think the original title fits and it was good to atttract audiences?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:01:26 AM »

Coming out on DVD in December. I've never seen it. Anyone else? The comments at amazon certainly piqued my interest:
http://www.amazon.com/There-Was-a-Crooked-Man/dp/B000HRLWWQ/ref=pd_sxp_f_r/002-4387366-7516017?ie=UTF8

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »

There's a thread called Help my memory and it also concerns this film. Try the people who answered there.
(I haven't seen it.)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »

Ya it do sound interesting  Smiley

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »

Wow, the screen caps at Beaver look great!
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews27/there_was_a_crooked_man.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 05:00:21 PM »

The talk in the review is about comedy. yeah, sure. But this is one of the most cynical movies made in the late '60's or early '70's, when there was a whole spate of them being made. Douglas' charcter is revolting and in the finale Fonda...well, I won't spoil it for you. Buy it and enjoy it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »

I've been planning on getting this one too, never seen it though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:35 AM »

OK, I know I'm "old", but watched this for the FIRST time ever on Tusday night on Encore westerns, no commercials.

I have to report that I really didn't enjoy it much, and what a shame with that cast.  Interesting to see Fonda with a full beard, a couple of gals showed their nice hooters (probably the best part of the film).  Too many failed attempts to be a comedy, so no real drama.  Maybe best historical part was showing their outdoor latrine.  Douglas is caught stealing a horse by woman with rifle, so he charms the rifle out of her and his pecker into her, yeah, so typical, especially them (young good-lookin' recent widow lady).

This prison was supposed to be like 50 miles away from the nearest town or civilization (maybe Yuma prison, they said territorial?) but where were all the guards (and their familes) be expected to live?  And how did Fonda's character, who apparently had a bad leg (couldn't bend) for years and had to use a cane, miraculously improve to where he no longer needed that cane and just limped a little, and could bend his knee to ride a horse?  Good doctor at that prison, I guess (gave him the world's first artificial knee?).

One star.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:25:27 AM by Cusser » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM