Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:17:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Badlands (1973)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Badlands (1973)  (Read 4722 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2006, 09:46:17 PM »

Terrance Malick Dir., a good road picture based on a late 50's killing spree through South Dakota, Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek, Warren Oats.

With a haunting score using Schulwerk's "Gassengauer" from "Musica Poetica" preformed by Carl Orff. Speaking of which this has been used in a commercial (I think for insurance), very recently and you'll recognize it when you hear it.

Sounds like a xylophone but I don't think it is.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:30:55 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 09:52:13 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069762/

Ive mentioned the badlands national park elsewhere. Have you been there Joe? creepiest place in the west. Its basically our answer to Almeria...(or is that the other way around? Grin  ).

a memorable place indeed.

as for the movie you mentioned...is "natural born killers" the remake?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »

Yes I've been to all three badlands the most famous one in South Dakota and the Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Badlands  North & South Units in in North Dakota.

However the film never uses the Badlands, its mostly all shot on the high plains and cottonwood bottoms.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:21:53 PM »

Yes I've been to all three badlands the most famous one in South Dakota and the Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park Badlands  North & South Units in in North Dakota.

never knew there was anything more than just the South Dakota Badlands.

did you happen to stop by the "World famous" Corn Palace while you were in the area?
wow what a tourist trap that place is.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 10:24:20 PM »

The one in Mitchel?

How about Wall Drug? You stop there and see the jackalopes? Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:26 PM »

The one in Mitchel?

How about Wall Drug? You stop there and see the jackalopes? Grin
yeah I stopped by wall drug. I tried some of there famous ...(ready?)...water! Grin

there ice cream is nice though especially in the desert heat. Cool

as for Corn Palace...I would imagine the one in Mitchel? I dont think there is another.
Its a complete waste of time. You go in there and its just a flea market. it used to be a hockey arena for whatever reason.
Its like those tourist side attraction you see along the desert rodes every now and again. like...

"see IT!"

ever find this one? Its near California if I remember correctly. then again I'm sure there are more "IT"s to be found.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:36:41 AM »

I was really excited to see this film... but after seeing the thin red line and the new world Terrence Malick has slipped to the top(or bottom depending on how you look at it) of my short list of most hated directors, the guy is like a big baby, I should say writer/director, because his direction isn't what i have a problem with, he just writes the sh***iest movies out there and then decides to direct them. the thin red line is honestly the worst film I've ever seen, I'm all for an anti-war movie, but all that spiritual bull**** and horrendous dialogue I just couldn't take it anymore, I had to laugh at how stupid and pointless it was... not to mention it's the only movie I've ever seen where I wouldn't argue against someone complaining that it was anti-american(I can't say I'd argue any movie really is, but this is the one movie I wouldn't defend)... but that is besides the point, it will be a while before I recover enough from malick's other movies to see badlands... even though it looked interesting before I expected the worst.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:37:15 AM »

Well, gramps, I think you might like Badlands anyway. It was made by Terry Malick, a less pretentious guy than Terrence (he started using the long form of his name when he jumped himself up from screen writer to director). He hung the name "Terrence" on Badlands only after he'd completed it, and thence began his decline....

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »

Yes, Malick's decline into being one of the world's greatest film makers has certainly been alarming.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »

He shines largely because those about him are so dull.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:21 AM »

Ressurecting it from the grave for this:

Criterion is releasing it on March 19th

Special Features:

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
    Making “Badlands,” a new documentary featuring actors Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek and production designer Jack Fisk
    New interview with editor Billy Weber about director Terrence Malick’s unique approach to editing
    New interview with producer Edward Pressman
    “Charles Starkweather,” a 1993 episode of the television series Great Crimes and Trials, about the real-life story on which the film was loosely based
    Trailer
    PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by filmmaker Michael Almereyda

I have been meaning to check it out for a while and now that this is coming out, I suppose its the way to go.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »

I'm absolutely getting this as soon as it comes out. The current release sucks.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »

Got my order in already with amazon. Shame about the cover.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »

I'm not, by any means, saying it's a great movie, but I enjoyed it every time I watched it (about 5 times so far). Its flaws are visible to anyone who watches it, yet it also has something that captivates the attention of the viewer with sort of a raw, undefined, unpretentious aroma. The best thing is that it never tries to figure out any protagonist, nor judge it, yet everything worth knowing about character psychology creeps alone out of the picture.

7.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:09 AM »

I'm not, by any means, saying it's a great movie, but I enjoyed it every time I watched it (about 5 times so far). Its flaws are visible to anyone who watches it, yet it also has something that captivates the attention of the viewer with sort of a raw, undefined, unpretentious aroma. The best thing is that it never tries to figure out any protagonist, nor judge it, yet everything worth knowing about character psychology creeps alone out of the picture.

7.5/10

This is very true, appart from the "unpretentious" part. It's only unpretentious compared wiith Malick's following works; but by that standard, everything in the world in unpretentious.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM