Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:30:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  THE SHAW BROTHERS/KUNG FU THREAD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE SHAW BROTHERS/KUNG FU THREAD  (Read 21343 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 11:15:45 PM »

I own two shaw movies:

36th chamber and 5 venoms. they're pretty ok films.

I would really like to see a remake of 5 venoms.
Supposedly Miramax who owns the rights to 50 of the best titles were prepping a remake. Embarrassed

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 11:20:34 PM »

Supposedly Miramax who owns the rights to 50 of the best titles were prepping a remake. Embarrassed

not happy about this are you?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 11:22:39 PM »

neither am I, miramAXE should leave hk movies alone.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 11:24:13 PM »

neither am I, miramAXE should leave hk movies alone.

didnt you want a remake of 5 Venoms?
Or is Miramax the problem?

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 11:30:20 PM »

I do want a remake, but I dont want miramax involved. they seem to think americans cant grasp any foreign concept so they must alter movies to fit into the frame they have made up in their minds about the american audience.

or maybe I'm just overreacting.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 11:32:39 PM »

I do want a remake, but I dont want miramax involved. they seem to think americans cant grasp any foreign concept so they must alter movies to fit into the frame they have made up in their minds about the american audience.

or maybe I'm just overreacting.

interesting. I would like to hear more about this. do you have any examples?
(the way I see it is it depends on who is directing. not the company that puts it out).

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 11:35:30 PM »

.......Actors such as David Chiang, Ti Lung, Chen Kuan Tai, Alexander Fu Sheng, Lee Yi Min, Chi Kuan Chun, Lo Lieh, Jimmy Wang Yu, Wang Lung Wei, Liang Chia Jen, the 5 Venom crew and (still) famous HK singer and actor Andy Lau.

Fight choreographers (some of which went on to illustrious careers as directors) Liu Chia Liang, Tang Chia, Huang Pei Chi and Robert Tai Chi Hsien.

Others who were ADs', actors or directors who got there tutelage under Chang were Lo Wei, Wu Ma, Pao Hsu Li, Kuei Chi Hung, and John Woo.

In addition to creating male dominated movies, Chang also introduced the 'shaky cam', a technique used prominently today that lends a documentary feel to the proceedings. Chang also experimented with color filters from time to time to represent flashbacks or to symbolize emotion. Chang also would punctuate an emotional scene with zooms. His later films would sometimes go overboard with it with the repetitive zooms during a scene seeming a bit silly now as the use is seldom done today.

Another Chang staple that would become a staple for many of Shaws other directors as well as of the genre itself was the amount of violence and blood present in his films. With each successive film, would be more creative and elaborate methods of dispatching the main characters, with the heroes generally taking some serious punishment and often dying along with the antagonists at the end.

Changs heroes would usually lose "gallons" of blood, well, more than the normal human, before exacting justice on the villains. The point behind this was that nothing was more important that accomplishing the mission even if it meant certain death(which it often did) but until then, death was NOT an option. The hero may lose a limb, spill much blood, have many bladed weapons sticking out of his body or face insurmountable odds, but he/they could not die until the job was finished. The heroes in Changs films, when they were about to die did so most often standing up with eyes open.

In his 73 production IRON BODYGUARD, Chen Kuan Tai, after having killed the main villains, is beset upon by the military (th eQings, barbarian forces from Manchuria that invaded China in 1644). He is riddled with rifle fire. He climbs to the top of the villains house where he is shot dozens of times again. He finally manages to stand hoisting his sword in teh air before expiring eyes wide open adn standing up-a heroes death. It's quite a powerful image one that would be used by Chang in nearly all his films and would ultimately be copied by other directors to lesser effect.......

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 11:41:09 PM »

interesting. I would like to hear more about this. do you have any examples?
(the way I see it is it depends on who is directing. not the company that puts it out).
A whole 'nother  thread could be started about MiramAXEs desecration of HK movies. They purchased the rights to around 500 HK flicks then proceeded to shelve them and even tried to sue fans who had no choice but to buy from overseas merchants.

Now they bought the rights to the holy grail of HK cinema-50 of the Shaws best titles none of which have come out yet as they stated they would redub them, change the soundtracks and edit them accordingly, Pissing off all HK movie fans who had waited years to see these films remastered with most vowing to not buy there discs if they even saw release.

Image however did purchase the rights to 30 titles mostly horror but some KF gems that Miramax missed.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 11:41:41 PM »

In addition to creating male dominated movies, Chang also introduced the 'shaky cam', a technique used prominently today that lends a documentary feel to the proceedings. Chang also experimented with color filters from time to time to represent flashbacks or to symbolize emotion. Chang also would punctuate an emotional scene with zooms. His later films would sometimes go overboard with it with the repetitive zooms during a scene seeming a bit silly now as the use is seldom done today.

I guess the accessive zooms is what they parodied in the 2002 film "Kung-Pow"?
Not sure how you feel about that film but I thought it was rather funny. Undecided

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 11:41:49 PM »

I agree firecracker, I dont know what influence they have as far as the actuall moviemaking is concerned. but they have a reputation for cutting hk movies to make them more appealing or whatever word they choose to use. now, maybe those cuts arent severe, but I prefer to see a movie as it was intended by the director. a movie is  in most cases the vision of the director.

2 examples of their cuts would be iron monkey and hero. I'm not exactly sure what and how much was cut from each. I just think it's unheard of to do such a thing. we all know what happened to leone's movies when they got to the states the first time.

so I hope the remake will take place in hong kong by hk studios. then I have nothing to fear, as I'm in norway now, where miramax has no influence.  Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 11:42:54 PM »

A whole 'nother  thread could be started about MiramAXEs desecration of HK movies. They purchased the rights to around 500 HK flicks then proceeded to shelve them and even tried to sue fans who had no choice but to buy from overseas merchants.

Now they bought the rights to the holy grail of HK cinema-50 of the Shaws best titles none of which have come out yet as they stated they would redub them, change the soundtracks and edit them accordingly, Pissing off all HK movie fans who had waited years to see these films remastered with most vowing to not buy there discs if they even saw release.

Image however did purchase the rights to 30 titles mostly horror but some KF gems that Miramax missed.

I would imagine Tarantino had something to do with this?

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »

well, they use his name for all their re-releases. "tarantino presents", so I'm sure he's got a hand in it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 11:48:41 PM »

well, they use his name for all their re-releases. "tarantino presents", so I'm sure he's got a hand in it.

well no I mean the cutting of all the original HK films...not the new ones (ala Iron Monkey) that are "Presented by Tarantino".

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 11:49:53 PM »

I guess the accessive zooms is what they parodied in the 2002 film "Kung-Pow"?
Not sure how you feel about that film but I thought it was rather funny. Undecided
In some of his later movies a few scenes would have a succession of zooms to enhance the reaction from a character. In 5 ELEMENT NINJAS a female character taken in by one of the heroes is discovered to be a ninja herself. Her reveal has a zoom on her face followed by a zoom on the heroes face who has been taken to the ground with a sword at his head. The zoom on him is to enhance the anger shown on his face.

The zooms were over used in mostly the indy films produced by other companies and was a staple for many foreign films and a lot of american films in the 70s. Chang just began to use it frequently in his 78-83 output.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »

what Kung-Fu film did they dub over in "Kung Pow!"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM