Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:12:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  THE SHAW BROTHERS/KUNG FU THREAD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE SHAW BROTHERS/KUNG FU THREAD  (Read 21345 times)
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 11:59:13 PM »

I havent seen kung pow in a long time, I guess they used several movies to dub? you'd have to be a hardcore fan to know them all.

assuming I didnt totally mistunderstand you. Undecided

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 12:03:19 AM »

I havent seen kung pow in a long time, I guess they used several movies to dub? you'd have to be a hardcore fan to know them all.

assuming I didnt totally mistunderstand you. Undecided

no I'm very sure they used the same movie. It always has the same characters in it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 12:07:54 AM »

you sure they didnt throw in stuff from different movies? it was probably the same group of people doing all the dubbing back in those days, so voices wouldnt be a problem. names however...

I dont remember a thing from kung pow so I cant really say.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 12:10:53 AM »

you sure they didnt throw in stuff from different movies? it was probably the same group of people doing all the dubbing back in those days, so voices wouldnt be a problem. names however...

I dont remember a thing from kung pow so I cant really say.

well the stuff in the beginning was filmed by the crew of Kung-Pow because it didnt feature the main character behind any blue screen. But after the 10 minute mark he is behind a blue screen throughout the film. The whole movie features the same exact chain (in the shape of hands) throwing villian and the same whiny herione. they just dubbed in the voices to make them say comical things. Same Movie. I'm very positive.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 12:11:39 AM »

........Around 1973 Chang officially began making movies built around characters who used actual kung fu styles as opposed to sword weilding, horse riding warriors. The theme of brotherhood remained but was not as profound as in his earlier pictures as the kung fu generally took your attention away from such machinations.

Kung Fu or 'Gung Fu' as is the correct pronounciation, had been featured in CHINESE BOXER 1969, KING BOXER 1972, BOXER FROM SHANTUNG 1972, VENGEANCE! 1969, and THE DUEL 1969 but those films fight scenes were more Karate like in execution (although no less exciting).

In HEROES TWO 1973 and MEN FROM THE MONASTERY 1974, the first of Chang Chehs Shaolin cycle of films, the plot centered around several of Chinas real life historical figures that fought against the tyranny of the Manchu regime. HEROES TWO begins with the destruction of the temple adn the remaining survivors struggle to escape the burning temple. Hung Hsi Kwan, (played by Chen Kuan Tai) one of the most famous of the Shaolin heroes, escapes to recruit rebels to fight the Qings(manchus). Fong Hsi Yu another real life figure, who according to legend, practised the 'Iron Skin' technique. A style that enabled the practitioners skin to be impervious to bladed weapons save for one weak spot (usually the eyes and groin).

On a side note there is a style practised today called Chi Kung that enables the practitioners skin to be toughened against blades. The way this is done is to concentrate the flow of blood to a certain part of the body. Younger practitioners require more time to prepare while older stylists can perform almost immediately. The most famous stunt is to have teh blade of a spear pressed against ones throat until the spear breaks. Modern day Shaolin monks as well as other martial artists have demonstrated this and many other amazing feats at the white house and even on the Jay Leno Show. A dvd showcasing Chi Kung called SHAOLIN-WHEEL OF LIFE is out from Universal.

Anyways, in HEROES TWO, Fong not having seen what Hung looks like, is tricked into capturing him for the Manchus. Later when Fong realizes what he has done, vows to break him out of prison. After a failed attempt and Hungs execution imminent, Fong, obssessed with Hungs rescue, decides to dig a tunnel(!) from the rebel hideout to the Manchu prison. He succeeds adn leaves a challenge note for a showdown.

HEROES TWO and its followup were the two biggest hits of the year even beating out ENTER THE DRAGON which surprisingly (and contrary to popular belief) was not a financial success in HK.

More films followed in this series-SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS 1974, 5 SHAOLIN MASTERS 1975, SHAOLIN AVENGERS 1975, DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN 1975, SHAOLIN TEMPLE 1976(which showcased a final 30 minute assault depicting the destruction of the temple), and THE NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS 1976 all directed by Chang Cheh.

to be continued...........

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 12:15:59 AM »

what Kung-Fu film did they dub over in "Kung Pow!"?
TIGER & CRANE FISTS. An independently produced kung fu quickie. Me and a buddy walked out of KUNG POW and when we realized we couldn't get our money back we tried to finish the flick but could only stand five more minutes.

Probably the stupidest movie I've ever seen. I found nothing funny in the movie as it seemed no one else in the theater did either as several others walked out too.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 12:17:22 AM »

hehe, so I'm not alone then. I didnt finish it either  Grin

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 12:25:03 AM »

hehe, so I'm not alone then. I didnt finish it either  Grin
We didn't leave because they were making fun of the genre but because the comedy was grossly unfunny, so unfunny in fact that it could make someone throw up. Angry

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »

We didn't leave because they were making fun of the genre but because the comedy was grossly unfunny, so unfunny in fact that it could make someone throw up. Angry

well yeah I didnt think much of the first 15 minutes either (baby pissing on the villian etc.) but the rest of the film was quite comical.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 12:28:28 AM »

well anyway..if "Tiger Crane and Fists" any good? The un-screwed version....?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:41 AM »

Not really. It's only average at best. It's worth a look to spot stars in there early days (if you know who they are) but nothing more. If you're hardcore and have to have everything than by all means buy. I used to be that way but now I only want what I will like. I don't have room for crap anymore.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 12:32:57 AM »

that's how I felt too. it's perfect genre to mock, but it was just so stupid I couldnt watch. I guess watching kung faux is funnier.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 12:37:15 AM »

that's how I felt too. it's perfect genre to mock, but it was just so stupid I couldnt watch. I guess watching kung faux is funnier.

remember that it bombed in the box office. which is why I was surprised when I heard that a sequel was in the works. But I guess that slipped through the cracks since it's been about 4 years now.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 12:46:51 AM »

I wouldn't mock it at all. American cinema is so racist now. The US audience refuses to accept anything foreign or alien to them. If it didn't cost 100 million dollars it's junk. Instead of getting the original jap versions of RING, DARK WATER or Kiyoshi Kurosawas PULSE we get redundant remakes because the US audience will not accept a japanese film. "What? You mean I gotta REEAAAADDD?!?!?" Then when it's dubbed laughter follows because the lips sometimes don't match with the spoken dialog but what those genius's don't realize is that it's a DIFFERENT LANGUAGE.

Chinese is a tonal language with many of there words ending with there mouths open where ours ends with lips closed. Plus some words have no discernible translation so dialog has to be changed or certain phrases have different connotations and must be changed to suit that region.

I suppose nobody has seen an american film dubbed into a foreign language. They have the same awful dubbing although most are shown in english anyways now. I don't hear them complaining.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 01:37:02 AM »

germans dub everything. no idea why. I think the french do too.

personally, I've read subtitles all my life. hearing the original language probably aided me in learning english. now I dont even read subs on english movies anymore. not saying anyone should learn chines, just saying subs aint that bad.

I actually saw, crouching tiger, hidden dragon on tnt or spike or something. and it was dubbed! I was like wtf? they still dub movies? haha.

anyway, dont blame the audience. blame the industry for not embracing foreign movies and subtitles earlier. it doesnt take long to get used to.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM