Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 08:36:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Error in Prof. Frayling's commentary
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Error in Prof. Frayling's commentary  (Read 2729 times)
Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »

I started listening to the commentary again on the SE DVD and early on came across an error that I missed first time around because of fast-forwarding.
In commenting on the first flashback (three-in-a-car scene) Prof. Frayling states that location as being in Co. Wicklow and mentions two specific areas, The Sally Gap and Glendalough, both places I know quite well.
Well, they must have "altered all the maps" because that flashback location is Howth Castle, Co. Dublin which is on Howth Peninsula a few miles north of Dublin City whereas the Wicklow locations referred to are about 20-30 miles to the south. (see link to pictures I took recently under the "An Irishmans view" thread - I've added one or two more today - http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/paddytheirishman/?sc=6).

The second Irish location is, of course, Toner's pub in Central Dublin.
The only location I haven't found yet is the "kissing tree" in the final flashback. Whether or not that is in Co. Wicklow remains to be seen. If it is then it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack with about 10,000 fields and 200,000 trees to look at. Whilst at Howth Castle I saw in the grounds in the distance a tree in a field which COULD well be it but as it was in what appeared to be an "out-of-bounds" area I couldn't get close and nobody around to ask permission.

I'll pay a second visit again soon  - "one was NOT enough for me" - and will post pics if found.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »

I started listening to the commentary again on the SE DVD and early on came across an error that I missed first time around because of fast-forwarding.
In commenting on the first flashback (three-in-a-car scene) Prof. Frayling states that location as being in Co. Wicklow and mentions two specific areas, The Sally Gap and Glendalough, both places I know quite well.
Well, they must have "altered all the maps" because that flashback location is Howth Castle, Co. Dublin which is on Howth Peninsula a few miles north of Dublin City whereas the Wicklow locations referred to are about 20-30 miles to the south. (see link to pictures I took recently under the "An Irishmans view" thread - I've added one or two more today - http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/paddytheirishman/?sc=6).

The second Irish location is, of course, Toner's pub in Central Dublin.
The only location I haven't found yet is the "kissing tree" in the final flashback. Whether or not that is in Co. Wicklow remains to be seen. If it is then it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack with about 10,000 fields and 200,000 trees to look at. Whilst at Howth Castle I saw in the grounds in the distance a tree in a field which COULD well be it but as it was in what appeared to be an "out-of-bounds" area I couldn't get close and nobody around to ask permission.

I'll pay a second visit again soon  - "one was NOT enough for me" - and will post pics if found.

I'll look for that. I'm planning on getting the SE DVD for my birthday anyway.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 09:00:19 AM »

I'm shocked--SHOCKED--to learn Prof. Frayling has made an error. Next we're going to find out Tucumcari isn't in Mexico!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »

I vaguely recall reading on a website that this film location is located adjacent to a golf course. I know it really doesn't narrow down your search areas . The tree was still there several years ago because it was shown on the UK DYS DVD in the features section, where they compare before and now photos of most of the shooting locations. If you don't have the DVD I would highly recommend it.

Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »

I vaguely recall reading on a website that this film location is located adjacent to a golf course. If you don't have the DVD I would highly recommend it.

Ah, Geoman, that must be it so because the tree I saw in the distance at Howth Castle is right beside the golf course within the Castle grounds. Might get out there tomorrow if weather remains good.
Yes, I have that DVD and saw the shot of the tree. Looks like it's all becoming clearer now.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:01:03 AM »

I'm shocked--SHOCKED--to learn Prof. Frayling has made an error. Next we're going to find out Tucumcari isn't in Mexico!
Just think if Thomas Weisser had done the commentary! Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »

Stop shooting at the Red Cross, please!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM