Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:00:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  An Irishmans view
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Irishmans view  (Read 12469 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 08:53:48 PM »

now now don't be that hard on him, its virtually impossible to make corrections after its in print.

Yes, even though frayling's book has some type errors I overlook that. Nobody's perfect.

Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 03:50:21 AM »

Yes, even though frayling's book has some type errors I overlook that. Nobody's perfect.

Absolutely. It is inevitable that some errors would appear in a work of this magnitude and I hope I didn't come across as critiscising him/it in correcting a small (and very understandable) error. Until I found out to the contrary I also had a feeling that Co. Wicklow was the most likely location.

The book is fascinating and, indeed, I find myself coming back to it time and again.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »

now now don't be that hard on him, its virtually impossible to make corrections after its in print.
He's still making the errors in his audio commentaries, years after his book went to press. The guy never learns.

That having been said, I wonder why Frayling is always such a hot-button topic for Juan Miranda. Any comment, Juan?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »

Indeed Dave. When I first joined the board Sir Chris was being slagged off something rotten on a lot of threads. Some people were almost rabidly angry over errors he had made, claiming they could write better books on Leone etc.

I've heard Sir Chris lecture, and have met him (just the once) and he is a really nice guy. For some 20 years he ploughed a lonely furrow, championing a number of then despised genres. He's done more to promote recognition for Leone as an artist in the English language than anyone else. Therefor I get a bit tired of people always having a go at him, hence my sarcastic remark previously. Yeah he makes mistakes (he made a howler in the Guardian recently, in an artical about British horror films), but who doesn't?

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »

Indeed Dave. When I first joined the board Sir Chris was being slagged off something rotten on a lot of threads. Some people were almost rabidly angry over errors he had made, claiming they could write better books on Leone etc.

I've heard Sir Chris lecture, and have met him (just the once) and he is a really nice guy. For some 20 years he ploughed a lonely furrow, championing a number of then despised genres. He's done more to promote recognition for Leone as an artist in the English language than anyone else. Therefor I get a bit tired of people always having a go at him, hence my sarcastic remark previously. Yeah he makes mistakes (he made a howler in the Guardian recently, in an artical about British horror films), but who doesn't?
Juan Miranda, you read my mind! I'm with you on this one. As an italian, I hate to admit that the best book written on Leone was the work of an englishman..!
I have never met Frayling unfortunately, but if I ever do, I will thank him profusely for his book and for what he did for Leone and still is doing (the Los Angeles exhibition for instance is his baby).
Of course there are small errors in his book, but think about all the useful information we got and all the anecdotes! Also remember that his love for Leone dates back to a time where critics still despised him and indeed, as Juan Miranda wonderfully puts it, he ploughed a lonely furrow for many years!
So please, stop picking on Sir Chris and let's hope that he will continue on this path and bring us more stuff on Leone!!!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 04:06:32 PM »

here here! I to am tired of Sir Frayling getting insulted over minor (and sometimes not so minor) mistakes.
he aint no Thomas Weisser who makes CONSTANT lies about a particular genre.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 04:21:36 PM »

here here! I to am tired of Sir Frayling getting insulted over minor (and sometimes not so minor) mistakes.
he aint no Thomas Weisser who makes CONSTANT lies about a particular genre.

Frayling makes simple mistakes, Weisser just makesup sh*t.   Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »

But still, Frayling makes a lot of simple mistakes. After we observe so many, his credibility begins to suffer. If he gets so many details wrong, how do we know he's right about larger things? We can spot check the things we know from other sources, but there are a lot of things we "know" only because of Frayling. I used to think that at least he was at least reliable about shooting locations, but not anymore....

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »

But still, Frayling makes a lot of simple mistakes. After we observe so many, his credibility begins to suffer. If he gets so many details wrong, how do we know he's right about larger things? We can spot check the things we know from other sources, but there are a lot of things we "know" only because of Frayling. I used to think that at least he was at least reliable about shooting locations, but not anymore....

still nothing to chastise or insult the man over.  He only gets his "false" info from others.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM