Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:12:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Train (1964)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Train (1964)  (Read 11984 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »

Interesting thing happened yesterday as I was re-watching this after a long long time: the church bells started ringing the very second they executed the old engineer. Shocked

8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »

The year should be 1964 I believe.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »

Interesting thing happened yesterday as I was re-watching this after a long long time: the church bells started ringing the very second they executed the old engineer. Shocked

8/10

Huh

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »

Huh

There are no coincidences in life, my friend. Wink

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »

I'm still confused. So Fistful was released in 1964 and has some church bells ringing in it therefore Frankenheimer copied something from Leone  Huh Huh Huh

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »

Haha, no, no - the church in real life, not in the  movie. Wink Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »

big news came down today ... true or  not, who knows

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_POLAND_NAZI_TRAIN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Two Men Claim to Have Found Nazi Train Loaded With Treasure in Poland

By VANESSA GERA

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- Two men in Poland claim they have found a legendary Nazi train that according to local lore was loaded with gold, gems and valuable art and vanished into a system of secret tunnels as the Germans fled advancing Soviet forces at the end of World War II.

Historians say the existence of the train has never been conclusively proven, but authorities are not passing up this chance at possibly recovering treasures that have sparked the imaginations of local people for decades.

"We believe that a train has been found. We are taking this seriously," Marika Tokarska, an official in the southwestern Polish district of Walbrzych, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

She said her office has received two letters this month from a law firm representing the men, a Pole and a German who are remaining anonymous, saying they are seeking 10 percent of the value of the train's contents for revealing its location.

She says that hiring a law firm gives credibility to the two men's claims, as do indications that they are familiar with the train's contents.

Already, the district governor has convened a meeting of firefighters, police and others to explore how they can safely handle the train if it is located. Not only could it be armed with explosives, but methane gas underground could add to the risk of an explosion.

"It could be dangerous," Tokarska said.

The train is said to have gone missing in May 1945. Legend says it was armed and loaded with treasure and disappeared after entering a complex of tunnels under the Owl Mountains, a secret project known as "Riese" - or Giant - which the Nazis never finished. At the time the area belonged to Germany but now lies in Poland.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 05:30:42 PM »

Cool!  Afro

Is that methane I smell, or might it just be a sequel . . . ?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »

From Thursday:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/20a2758703d54e66bd09a3a1cc149870/polish-official-convinced-mystery-nazi-train-exists

Polish Official 'Convinced' That Mystery Nazi Train Exists

WARSAW, Poland (AP) A leading Polish cultural official said Thursday he is "convinced" of the existence of a Nazi treasure train that has been missing for 70 years and which two men claim to have found recently.

Deputy Culture Minister Piotr Zuchowski also warned treasure hunters in southwestern Poland to stop looking for the "so-called 'gold train'" because it could be mined and dangerous.

Since the end of World War II, local Polish legend has said that a German train filled with gold, gems and armaments went missing around the city of Walbrzych while fleeing the Red Army in 1945. Fortune-hunters have looked for it for decades, and in the communist era, the Polish army and security services even carried out apparently fruitless searches for it.

This month two men, a Pole and a German, said they found a train with armaments and valuables, leading to hopes it could be that long-lost mystery train.

So far no evidence has been offered to the public of the train's existence. However, Zuchowski did hint that there's something to the men's claims and the Culture Ministry announced it will hold a news conference on the topic Friday afternoon.

"In connection with the published information referring to the find of the so-called 'gold train' in the region of Walbrzych, an increase in the activity of treasure hunters has been observed," Zuchowski said in a statement. "I am appealing to people to stop any such searches until the end of official procedures leading to the securing of the find. Inside the hidden train of whose existence I am convinced there could be dangerous materials from the time of World War II. There is a great chance that the train is mined."

From Friday:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6c60f5580d4745eeb22d379d5c3ec2fb/radar-detects-object-believed-be-missing-nazi-gold-train

Radar Detects Object Believed to Be Missing Nazi Gold Train
By MONIKA SCISLOWSKA

WARSAW, Poland (AP) A Polish official said Friday he has seen an image made by ground-penetrating radar that seemed to prove the discovery of an armored Nazi train missing in southwestern Poland since World War II.

Local lore says a German train filled with gold, gems and armaments went missing around the city of Walbrzych while it was fleeing the Red Army in the spring of 1945. Fortune-hunters have looked for the so-called "gold train" for decades, and in the communist era, the Polish army and security services carried out apparently fruitless searches for it.

During the war, the Germans built a system of underground tunnels in the mountainous region of Walbrzych and the city of Wroclaw, from where the train is believed to have departed. The area was German territory at the time, but became part of Poland when the war ended.

Recently, a Pole and a German, acting through lawyers, told local authorities they had found an armored train with valuables in a disused tunnel and demanded a financial reward.

Deputy Culture Minister Piotr Zuchowski told reporters the lawyers had been informed the train was over 100 meters (109 yards) long and called it an "exceptional" discovery.

He said he was shown an image albeit blurred from a ground-penetrating radar that showed the shape of a train platform and cannons, and added he was "more than 99 percent certain that this train exists."

"We will be 100 percent sure only when we find the train," Zuchowski added.

The World Jewish Congress said that any gold, precious stones or other valuables that might be found could have been looted from Polish Jews by Nazi officials during the war and should be returned.

"To the extent that any items now being discovered in Poland may have been stolen from Jews before they were sent to death, concentration or forced labor camps, it is essential that every measure is taken to return the property to its rightful owners or to their heirs," the organization's CEO, Robert Singer, said in a statement. "We very much hope that the Polish authorities will take the appropriate action in that respect."

Walbrzych regional authorities will conduct the search, using military explosives' experts, in a procedure that will take "weeks," Zuchowski said.

A person who claimed he helped load the gold train in 1945 said in a "deathbed statement" the train is secured with explosives, Zuchowski said. The person, who was not identified, had also indicated the probable location of the train, he said.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 05:56:54 AM »

I remember enjoying this one just recently. There is a great face-off scene between Labiche and the German officer at the end. It does really bring home the foolishness of greed and war.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »

And of obsessive art collecting.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »

And of obsessive art collecting.

What about obsessive art viewing?  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 04:27:50 PM »

What about obsessive anything? Let's imagine the train is not full of paintings but IB Tech prints of our favorite films. These could be the basis for the production of 10,000 immaculate blu rays. And Colonel titoli has stolen them and is taking them back to his crypt in Italy. Should we try to prevent him, even at the cost of many innocent lives? Who will give me a "Yes"?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

And Colonel titoli has stolen them

"General" titoli, please.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 02:23:44 AM »

I got the Arrow BRD from amazon.co.uk for just 9.99 pounds plus shipping. It looks beautiful. This was  my first time seeing the movie in its entirety I had previously seen it once but missed the first 45 minutes or so.

The English dubbing of some of the supporting cast is crappy. Otherwise no complaints. This is a really good movie 9/10

I figured out why why DJ loves this movie so much: It's not that he loves seeing Lancaster or Scofield or trains or explosions - it's that he loves seeing Jeanne Moreau's hairy armpits  Evil

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM