Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 13, 2022, 08:03:23 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Trivia Games (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My Day with GBU
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: My Day with GBU  ( 4543 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : June 02, 2003, 08:31:45 PM »

It was pouring rain on Saturday, a heavy all day rain the kind that sends the rivers up here up three feet over the banks and into the trees and will take three day to come back down. I canceled my fishing trip for Sunday and drove to Poughkeepsie NY and caught the train to Grand Central Station, New York City, it was a local, I took a widow seat and watched the Hudson roll by, it took 2 hrs, and the train left on the half hour. I didn't make the 1:20 showtime since the train pulled into the terminal at 1:38 so I had about 2 and a half hours to kill. Vistied my buddy Steve and BS'd with him for a while about guiding at Orvis. Then I hopped the subway down to Greenwhich Village. Got off at Houston St. and walked east to the Film Forum, got my 4:40 ticket and went on a quest to find Finelli's an old speakeasy bar I hadn't been in in over 30 years. It has a big clock just like in Fat Moes dark wood panneling and tin ceiling, its a must if any of you get to NYC. I found it on Prince St. a block or two west of Broadway. It hadn't changed at all a time machine to the past. Had a beer then headed back to the theater. The lobby had a wall with the reviews all praising Leone and GBU, it was great. It was a full house and as the audience seated the music playing was Morricone, and the themes from FOD, DUY, OUTITW, the lights dimmed and once again I was transported to the magical west of Leone, with a highly appreciative audience and the story of the three magnificent rouges. There was a good round of applause at the end. It was like being a kid again and going to Times Square to spend a day with Leone.

« : June 02, 2003, 08:37:53 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT

« #1 : June 02, 2003, 10:02:23 PM »

the discription of your situation.  rain.  the trip.  the damn train !  NYC.
i've been down to some of those neighborhoods and it brought back precious memories for me too.  for this i salute you cigar joe........

but then the GB&U part.  jumpin jahosaphant !  :P  i'm not going to say enything as it would just muddle up this post.....  it's as if leone himself were accompaning you on this pilgrimage spiritually speaking of course.

muchos gracious amigo,  
you've made my day,   ;)
kermit  the ole cluster plucker

« : June 03, 2003, 01:32:13 AM KERMIT »
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

« #2 : June 08, 2003, 02:08:18 AM »

SOUNDS COOL CJ, SURE BEATS BREAKFAST ON KILBURN HIGH ROAD AND A SWIFT HALF DOWN THE OLD BELL.

I PRAY THIS MASTERPIECE CROSSES THE ATLANTIC SOON.

aaronson
Gunslinger

« #3 : July 07, 2003, 04:51:02 AM »

Cigar Joe,

Great blue short story.
Congratulation

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #4 : July 07, 2003, 08:45:25 AM »

July 4, 2003.  Finally got to watch the extended, restored GBU taped from AMC cable in June.  I live in Arizona, tried to get local dinner cinema or local chain with art auditoriums to show it, but neither would.  Anyway, we reserved afternoon of July 4, since it would be over 110 degrees F like most summer days here (that's in the shade, if you can find any, just like GBU desert scene).  My two kids (15 and 12) had never seen it before, but that music played to calm me as I drove them each home from the hospital two days after births.  We watched it on my recently-acquired 47" widescreen stereo TV, and it was great.  I had seen the seven "deleted scenes" with English subtitles on the DVD before, but it was great to see those voiced-over by Clint and Eli (thanks a bunch, guys).  The never-seen cave scene was fine.  My personal opinion is that the film is best with all the scenes included, but personally I may have cut out the part about "six being the perfect number" just after Blondie kills one of Angel Eyes' approaching men.  And, sorry Mickey Knox, I would've had the note read "Adios, idiots" not "see you soon, idiots".  That's why a board like this is good for voicing opinions.  FYI, if luck holds, I hope exactly two weeks from today to see the remnants of the arch from Once Upon a Time in the West, on return from Utah.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines