Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:18:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Seven Dollars to kill!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seven Dollars to kill!  (Read 6533 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »

a very well made spaghetti western starring Anthony Steffen and Fernando Sancho. Very shoe-string budget...(in fact its the cheapest I have run across). At some points the guns (when fired) dont even puff out smoke.

nice emotionally involving plot...
Steffen's son is kidnapped by bandits and now Steffen must track them down. The story spans many years so I couldnt help to think of "The Searchers" (only its much more violent) when watching the movie. Things get really good when...

SPOILER

you find out Steffen's son has grown to be a blood thirsty killer.
Their is a nice fight between Sancho and Steffen as they battle with Meathooks!!!!!

and the finale is one NOT to be missed. Steffen faces his own son in a rainy town.

SPOILER END

The soundtrack is good but forgettable.

The story kinda rambles a bit for the first 45 minutes and is a bit boring (a lotta searching going on) but the film really picks up the pace afterwards. This spag (though tiny budget) brings a lot of new ideas to the table. Great stuff. So far its the best Steffen film I have seen.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:32:35 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 03:09:31 AM »

Having read this review Firecracker perhaps i should give this another look because i did find a large portion of it a bit sleep inducing,and at present i would never go as far to say this is Steffens best Shocked
In fact out of his i've seen recently Gentleman Killer and Train For Durango were more enjoyable-have you watched either of these yet? Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:11:30 AM by banjo » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »

Having read this review Firecracker perhaps i should give this another look because i did find a large portion of it a bit sleep inducing,

well my review does state that thr first 45 minutes is not much to look at but when the son is re-introduced as a nasty villian it gets interesting and really tries to be special (which I think it succeeds).

Steffen's films always seem rather average. though I think "No room to die" is slightly above average I just cant say the same for the rest of his films.
This however had a charm to it that makes it one of his best I think.

I'll be watching the other two have mentioned shortly.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »

It wasn't bad........the score travelled between pretty good (Michele Lacerenza's soaring trumpet) & blehhhhhh............I did find myself bored occasionally......
zero for style...good finale in the rain...early Sancho (any Sancho is OK by me).
Pretty good all in all.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 07:57:29 PM »

It wasn't bad........the score travelled between pretty good (Michele Lacerenza's soaring trumpet) & blehhhhhh............I did find myself bored occasionally......
zero for style...good finale in the rain...early Sancho (any Sancho is OK by me).
Pretty good all in all.

The finale in the rain is very stylistic. and the fight with meathooks is cool. come to think of it...the last 30 minutes seems to have been directed by somebody totally different then the guy who directed the first hour.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »

The finale in the rain is very stylistic. and the fight with meathooks is cool. come to think of it...the last 30 minutes seems to have been directed by somebody totally different then the guy who directed the first hour.

Maybe the movie was co-directed.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »

Yeah..there were some stylish scenes...on the whole..though..it came out kinda clunky.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 04:12:37 PM »

a very well made spaghetti western starring Anthony Steffen and Fernando Sancho. Very shoe-string budget...(in fact its the cheapest I have run across). At some points the guns (when fired) dont even puff out smoke.

nice emotionally involving plot...
Steffen's son is kidnapped by bandits and now Steffen must track them down. The story spans many years so I couldnt help to think of "The Searchers" (only its much more violent) when watching the movie. Things get really good when...

SPOILER

you find out Steffen's son has grown to be a blood thirsty killer.
Their is a nice fight between Sancho and Steffen as they battle with Meathooks!!!!!

and the finale is one NOT to be missed. Steffen faces his own son in a rainy town.

SPOILER END

The soundtrack is good but forgettable.

The story kinda rambles a bit for the first 45 minutes and is a bit boring (a lotta searching going on) but the film really picks up the pace afterwards. This spag (though tiny budget) brings a lot of new ideas to the table. Great stuff. So far its the best Steffen film I have seen.
Don't want to sound fastidious, but let's make a search before opening up new topic on already debated movies not to add to confusion.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3240.0

Is this deja vu? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 04:14:54 PM »

I'll remember to be more careful next time Banjo Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »

This was aired tonight instead of another Miles Deem and can't say I went for the better. Still, until I slept at mid-time I was fairly interested in some single scenes (a duel in the rocks which made me think of the final one in W73 seen yesterday: may Anthony Mann forgive me!). But you can soon tell what is wrong with this: the boy playing Steffen's son adopted by Sancho has a dull face and one can't explain why he is going around dressed up like a dude when Sancho is in canonical Bandido suit. Also, Steffen and Sancho are supposed to age a score at a certain point but neither does (at least as far as I can judge). Sure the director is rather uninventive, but still the whipper scene, the finale with the no-duel oin the rain and the confrontation in the rocks are well-made.
The greek reviewer at IMDB heard a great score. I didn't.
Some pretty female face.     

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 04:52:52 AM »

Steffen's films always seem rather average. though I think "No room to die" is slightly above average I just cant say the same for the rest of his films.
What about Django The Bastard(great sw!) and Killer Kid(in my "to watch" pile of dvds but apparently very good too)? Sad

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 11:25:29 AM »

What about Django The Bastard(great sw!) and Killer Kid(in my "to watch" pile of dvds but apparently very good too)? Sad

yes my mistake. I forgot about "Django the bastard". One of his best for sure...but it has it's flaws.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »

Actually, I found this SW quite acceptable and enjoyable, though not even close to the levels of Leone's, Corbucci's, Sollima's, and the likes. It is one of the early SWs, made at the time the Leone's style was starting to become popular, so at times it still resembles an American Western. Anthony Steffen plays a good role, but I think Fernando Sancho's was much better. The musical score from Francesco de Masi is also good, but his style resembles more the scores in American Westerns than the new SW sounds made famous by Morricone, Nicolai et al. This is not surprising, as this was his first or second score for a SW of certain quality after years of writing scores for pelpla.

6 out of 10.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM