Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2021, 03:46:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sergio Garrone and Antonio Margheritti
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Sergio Garrone and Antonio Margheritti  ( 10187 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« : August 03, 2006, 01:16:01 AM »

I really loved Vengeance, has anyone here seen any of his other SW's?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #1 : August 03, 2006, 01:43:01 AM »

I really loved Vengeance, has anyone here seen any of his other SW's?

yeah Vengeance is quite good. Especially the eye opening intro! :o

personally I feel it drags a bit after Roko gets rid of his badge to go after the Kid. But It slowly picks up again for the final villian...

Margheriti's "And God said to Cain" is supposed to be very good (better than "Vengeance"). But I have also heard a few reviewers call it complete crap, mainly because the picture quality was too dark and they couldnt see what was going on during the night scenes ( which as I hear is 80% of the film).

Arizona Colt can tell you more about it. he's seen it and liked it very much.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : August 03, 2006, 04:19:47 AM »

The restored version by FrancoCleef is nice and crisp, it however plays more like a TV quality Gothic-Western, and Kinsky's dubber doesn't quite fit his body IMO.

Its nothing to shout about

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #3 : August 03, 2006, 06:00:02 AM »

I've got a pan & scan version of And God Said To Cain but i'd love to pick up the Franco Cleef version at some point because this movie is excellent,and with the gothic night time and atmospheric feel of this movie i'm very reminded of the equally good Django The Bastard as in both sw's the "heroes" are like some sort of invincible spectral figure hell bent on revenge and pick off the bad guys one at a time before dealing with the lead baddie.Possibly the best Margheriti sw i've seen.
      Stranger & The Gunfighter i also immensely enjoy for different reasons,mainly a very amusing performance(yes it's a comedy!) from LVC combined with (fashionable at the time) kung fu action and a treasure hunt involving tatooed womens bottoms! :o Highly recommended ;)
     Take A Hard Ride is more American than Spaghetti western but worth picking up for LVC(again!) and the dvd is going cheap at the moment! :)

« : August 07, 2006, 01:52:28 AM banjo »
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #4 : August 03, 2006, 11:18:37 AM »

Take A Hard Ride is more American than Spaghetti western but worth picking up for LVC(again!) and the dvd is going cheap at the moment! :)

Didnt know Margheriti did "Take a hard ride". I liked it but it's nothing to rave about.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #5 : November 13, 2006, 05:10:37 PM »

I've only seen Django the Bastard/The Strangers Gundown and Vengeance, both of which I found to be almost equally as crappy as they are good. The gags, cinematography and stories were very enjoyable, but the acting and dialogue were absolute crap. How many times did that Mexican guy have to call Rocco a "Dirty redskin!?" We know you're a bigot and that he's a halfbreed, dumbass! We get the point! It's like that annoying commercial for that headache relieving stick "Apply directly to the forehead..."

Because of the abovementioned flaws I think they are movies that one has to watch while letting go of the overzealous critic inside in order to enjoy.

Who here has seen other movies by these two directors? Had the actors/acting and dialogue in Vengeance been a little better it could have been one of the greatest in my opinion. I'd like to see it in the Italian dub.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #6 : November 14, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »

I really enjoyed both Django the Bastard and Vengeance.  I've got Killer Kid and No Room to Die still to watch  ;D

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #7 : November 14, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »

I've only seen Django the Bastard/The Strangers Gundown and Vengeance, both of which I found to be almost equally as crappy as they are good. The gags, cinematography and stories were very enjoyable, but the acting and dialogue were absolute crap. How many times did that Mexican guy have to call Rocco a "Dirty redskin!?" We know you're a bigot and that he's a halfbreed, dumbass! We get the point! It's like that annoying commercial for that headache relieving stick "Apply directly to the forehead..."

You can't blame those two directors (or the movie) for the english dub. So don't.

Both are competant directors as far as the spag genre is concerned.

I have only seen one of Margheritti's Giallo pics and although I didn't think it was impressive I did enjoy it very much.

His "Take a hard ride" is by far the weakest western he has done (that I have seen).

I'm still missing out on his supposed excellent "and God said to Cain". I'll rectify that soon.

Garrone's "No room to die" is quite good as well. Among the best Steffen films I have seen surly. It's a bit incomplete (some things are never explained) but still a very entertaining view.

Is it better then "django the bastard"? Possibly, but "Django the Bastard" has a lot more things going for it.

EDIT: Margheritti's "The Stranger and the Gunfighter" is almost unwatchable save LVC's comic performance.

« : November 15, 2006, 01:24:49 PM The Firecracker »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #8 : November 15, 2006, 06:41:01 AM »

Ouside of the likes of Leone,Corbucci,Petroni,Parolini,Sollima ,I consider both directors as two of the better obscurer Italian directors and out of the films i have,i'd say for Margherriti:-
And God Said To Cain(excellent)
Vengeance(Very Good)
Stranger And The Gunfighter(Good-but lots of fun)
Take A Hard Ride(OK)
Dynamite Joe - sitting in my "to view" pile ;)

Garrone:-
Django The Bastard(excellent)
No Room To Die(Very Good)
No Graves On Boot Hill - sitting in my "to view pile" ;D

Marco,i've got Killer kid to watch too but i think this was  directed by Leopoldo Savona ::)

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #9 : November 15, 2006, 07:02:33 AM »

Yeah ok Banjo, I'll admit defeat  :D but Garrone does have writing credits for Killer Kid

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #10 : November 15, 2006, 07:11:46 AM »

Yeah ok Banjo, I'll admit defeat  :D but Garrone does have writing credits for Killer Kid
Well i had to check it out for myself but i'm relying on Thomas Weisser so who knows? ;D

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #11 : November 30, 2006, 04:17:24 PM »

Dynamite Joe - sitting in my "to view" pile ;)

Started watching this the other night and fell asleep to it-a real disappointment so far and completely lacking the gothic atmosphere of Vengeance and And God Said To Cain.The lead character played by Rick Van Nutter (sporting an exact replica of Clints poncho in the intro) is hopeless. I guess i'll have to finish it properly to give a full verdict but i suspect this could be Margheritti's weakest :-\

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #12 : November 30, 2006, 11:57:02 PM »

I guess i'll have to finish it properly to give a full verdict but i suspect this could be Margheritti's weakest :-\

Even more so than "Take a hard Ride"? It's up in the air for me as to which is his weakest...

it's certainly between the film I just mentioned and "Stranger and The gunfighter".

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #13 : December 01, 2006, 01:35:43 AM »

Even more so than "Take a hard Ride"?
I'll try and watch it again today but i suspect so ::)
Take A Hard Ride was nothing special but ok and LVC always makes a sw watching unless he's sporting a silly long wig and beard with Mickey Mouse dubbing-i bought Squeeze the other day and on scanning LVC has the same hairdo/beard as he did in Gods Gun :-[
     And i love Stranger & The Gunfighter to bits.....so there!!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #14 : December 01, 2006, 06:54:37 AM »

Yeah I'm always happy to stand in the corner, and fight for the cause of Blood Money too  ;D

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines