Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:59:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Killer calibro 32 aka .32 Caliber Killer (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Killer calibro 32 aka .32 Caliber Killer (1967)  (Read 7167 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061865/

This was already mentioned by Derringdo as his favourite "obscure" SW.
I've seen it tonight and must admit it flows tolerably well, though it's no obscure masterpiece. The plot is a kind of mystery hinging around the identity of a gang leader (aficionados will have gone wise to that as soon as the culprit enters the scene). Some scenes are standard fare but they are generally resolved or treated in an unexpected way (see the first two killings operated by Silver). 
I don't like the lead: PLL is inadequate, I think Gemma would have done better (but was more expensive, of course) because he lacks that sparkle of irony that Gemma, in spite of all his inadequacy, always has.
The best scene is a poker game which keeps you hanging about the outcome (well, about the modalities of it). The saloon brawl is treated in a comedic way which, thank god, it ends with that scene. 
I would like to know where the cave scene was shot.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061865/

This was already mentioned by Derringdo as his favourite "obscure" SW.

her favorite.

and must check this out methinks.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 07:52:53 AM »

I thought it was OK...competently made......I thought Lawrence was pretty good...played it calm & detatched, which fit the character well. His dubbed voice...which I'm not sure if it was his own voice..or someone else..was very wooden & detracted from the performance.
Admittedly..the "big mystery" ...w/ a little bit of thought, could have been wittled down quite a bit very early on.
The score was ...interesting...what Morricone's "Guns Don't Argue" theme was doing...popping up there...I just don't know.
All in all...not bad.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:49:41 AM »

Easily the best thing about this movie was the animated silhouetted title sequence with the Shadows inspired score!Great stuff Smiley
    What follows after reminds me very much (though it predates it so maybe its an influence?)of the Sartana series-a detective story but completely lacking the humour,coolness or James Bond gimmickry of those wonderful films.The film dragged for me Sad
  Peter Lee Lawrence is like a better looking version of Lou Castel,but that is all he is,a pretty boy and totally inadequate as the lead character-very wooden theres more to being an anti-hero than just not smiling!- and i have to agree with Titoli that Gemma would've been much better.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »

Contrary to everybody else, I thought Lawrence was great here. He was definitely the reason I kept watching as this movie soon began to remind me of GATLING GUN aka QUEL CALDO MALEDETTO GIORNO DI FUOCO. I think his "wooden" performance is intentional as it suits the character he plays. I don't see the SARTANA comparison outside of his always being one step ahead of the villains but did see a correlation to THE GREAT SILENCE in his unusual gun and that he only shoots in self defense. Enjoyed this one much better than I anticipated. Below is an excerpt of a review I wrote for the film...

After repeated stagecoach robberies and murders, suave bounty killer, Mr. Silver, is hired by banker, Mr. Averell, to find the gang responsible. Doing so will be difficult as the gang all wear masks. Much subterfuge follows as Silver gets closer to learning the identities of the robbers.

Peter Lee Lawrence (THE DAYS OF VIOLENCE) is really good here. His character is the epitome of cool. He has a partner named Spot (Alberto Dell'Acqua) that tags along with him. The character of Spot also wishes Mr. Silver to teach him to be a shootist. This plot point is similar to the 'ageing gunfighter takes on younger student' conceit seen in DAY OF ANGER the same year although it's forgotten about almost as soon as it's mentioned. Mr. Silver also reminds one of Silence from THE GREAT SILENCE (1968) in that he only attacks when provoked. Silver always stay calm seemingly assured of his every step. With every meticulous move, he's constantly one step ahead of the bad guys. Dell'Acqua was also in Giraldi's two MACGREGOR movies in addition to acting and stunt work in various Italian genre work.

This film is a mystery western albeit one with a lot of action. The fist fights are good this time out (although there's one shot where a punch misses by a long shot). With that said, the action scenes themselves are pretty well put together for the most part. The movie begins on a serious note, yet approximately 25 minutes in, there's a TRINITY style saloon scuffle. Pazzafini as Fitch, beats the hell out of everybody in the place till he dirties up Silver's clothes. Of course, Fitch is no match for Mr. Silver. The comedy is present throughout but it's not dominating, only subtle (mostly sarcastic) touches here and there.

Andrea Bosic, who was the sidekick to Sandokan played by Steve Reeves in SANDOKAN, THE GREAT (1963), plays the banker, Mr. Averell. His presence here will clue you in on his role in the movie if you've seen some of his other performances. The gorgeous Hélène Chanel I remember from a handful of sword & sandal productions. She's not in the movie all that much, but she plays an important role during the conclusion.

I liked this one a lot and it straddles the line of receiving the full review treatment. It has lots going for it from the action to the confident and altruistic, yet somewhat fiercely assured performance by Lawrence. This is the best role I've seen of his yet. 89 minutes.

A fandub of the German dvd would be welcome, at least to me it would.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:33:14 PM by Arizona Colt » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »

Dell'Acqua was also in Giraldi's two MACGREGOR movies in addition to acting and stunt work in various Italian genre work.

He's also annoying as hell.
The only time I've enjoyed his work is as the young upstart opposite Van Cleef in the ultra sleazy eurocrime flick The Perfect Killer.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:23:38 PM »

He's also annoying as hell.
The only time I've enjoyed his work is as the young upstart opposite Van Cleef in the ultra sleazy eurocrime flick The Perfect Killer.

Well, it's kind of difficult to get an accurate interpretation of an actors performance when they're dubbed by someone else, most times a non-actor.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »

Contrary to everybody else, I thought Lawrence was great here.

I've seen him in a few more films since my less than complimentary posting and the guy's definitely gone up in my estimation. Looking forward to giving this movie another look.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »

After having seen a few mediocre SW's recently, this one was a welcome breath of fresh air, IMO. Incidentally, Alfonso Brescia also directed Lawrence in THE DAYS OF VIOLENCE (1967) which I haven't finished watching yet.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »

Well, it's kind of difficult to get an accurate interpretation of an actors performance when they're dubbed by someone else, most times a non-actor.

I've had more than I can stand from him in Texas Adios (as Nero's snotty kid brother) and This Man Can't Die.
He's bearable in Kill them all and come back alone because they keep him confined to his stunt work.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:07:18 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 05:21:07 AM »

I've had more than I can stand from him in Texas Adios (as Nero's snotty kid brother) and This Man Can't Die.
He's bearable in Kill them all and come back alone because they keep him confined to his stunt work.

I know what you mean and I was relieved what happened to him in TEXAS ADIOS. Grin

But yes he's actually approaching being likeable in KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE in a sort of Alley Cat (from SabataSABATA) way.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »

One of the best Peter Lee Lawrence movies IMO, but not a great SW. I am also wondering about the Morricone theme "Le pistole non dicutono" about 39-40 minutes into the movie, as the music is credited to Robby Poitevin, which I don't recall as being one of Morricone's nicks.

5.5/10.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »

With Titoli.
The revealing of the turncoat is somewhat forseeable.

Certainly the best of the "so-called" Silver series (The one with Garko is not very good and the other PLL mystery western isn't as good as this one) and good soundtrack if I recall correctly.
Dell acqua isn't even annoying. For good roles from him, check out the sleazy Lee Van Cleef vehicle The Perfect Killer and this film.

7/10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM