Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:02:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  LONESOME DOVE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Do you consider Lonesome Dove amongst the greatest westerns of all time?
Yes   -1 (25%)
No   -3 (75%)
Total Voters: 3

Author Topic: LONESOME DOVE  (Read 4659 times)
Tim
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:10:16 AM »

I've read that Larry McMurtry originally intended to make Lonesome Dove as a theatrical release in the 1960s with a rather impressive cast......John Wayne, Henry Fonda and James Stewart in the three leads. 

So this got me thinking, how would you cast the three, even if it's hard to imagine anyone other than Duvall and Jones as Gus and Call.  Mine would go something like this, but I had trouble deciding.

Woodrow Call :  John Wayne
  Gus McCrae:  Henry Fonda
  Jake Spoon:  James Stewart (I'm debating this)

And just for fun, let's add Woody Strode as Deets.  Who else could we have casted?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »

I actually over the last two weeks finally caught up with this show on some VHS tapes at the local Video rental place, and it was entertaining, over the years I'd filp through the channels and catch bits and pieces of it but I never wanted to watch it from the middle someplace.

Its a good saga/quasi melodrama but well written and acted, if you need a Western fix and haven't seen it by all means rent it.

Actually regaurding your theatrical casting JW would have made a very surprizing Blue Duck if you could have got him to play the part (along the lines of holy crap it's John Wayne!, lol).

So then I'd go Fonda as Woodrow,  and Stewart as Gus, maybe James Garner as Spoon.
Strode as Deets,

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »

I don't see many people talking about this classic western here on this board and was wondering why. I personally think it's one of the greatest ever. Is it because it was a made for T.V. movie? What are your thoughts?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »

I'm reading the book, better stay away from this thread....

Aaah! Spoilers!

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »

I'm reading the book, better stay away from this thread....

Aaah! Spoilers!

Wow, you haven't seen Lonesome Dove Silenzio?! You're in for a treat my friend. Finish the book and then watch the movie!

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 09:18:36 PM »

Wow, you haven't seen Lonesome Dove Silenzio?! You're in for a treat my friend. Finish the book and then watch the movie!

Yeah... the book is great so far, but it's 1000 pages long.  I'm not sure if I can get finish it up and then the three books I have to read for next year's class (DAMN YOU NINTH GRADE ACCELERATED ENGLISH).

However, chances are I'll be gone for a good chunk of the summer, and will probably get a lot of reading in...

Or I could just read in my spare time now... HA!

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:23:39 PM »

Yeah, the movie is long as well. It's 6 hours long, split up into 4 parts. It never gets boring though. You are so engaged into the film that the time passes by extremely fast! I wish it was longer. I can't wait till you see it. Someday you have to let us know what you think.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »

Yeah, I'm about a quarter of the way through the book.  I think the book is divided into four parts as well.  At the end of the first section of the show, are they just barely started on their expedition to Montana?

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »

Yeah, I'm about a quarter of the way through the book.  I think the book is divided into four parts as well.  At the end of the first section of the show, are they just barely started on their expedition to Montana?

Yes, they're just starting out basically. I have never read the book actually. I should being I loved the movie.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 04:46:35 AM »

I don't see many people talking about this classic western here on this board
Might be because of like me they've never even heard of it!! Embarrassed

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:56:29 AM »

Might be because of like me they've never even heard of it!! Embarrassed

Banjo what's this? You're one of the moderator's for a classic western board and you've never heard of Lonesome Dove? I think you need to take yourself to the store today and buy it. Watch this and be blown away! Let me know what you think.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12:40 PM »

It was good but I wouldn't put it up there quite as high as you do.

Lorena's attitude was a nice change of pace who wouldn't like her, it was refreshing to see.

I think its main fault was Blue Duck he wasn't shown to be that big a vilian to play off the two leads, he should have had much much more screen time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »

It was good but I wouldn't put it up there quite as high as you do.

Lorena's attitude was a nice change of pace who wouldn't like her, it was refreshing to see.

I think its main fault was Blue Duck he wasn't shown to be that big a vilian to play off the two leads, he should have had much much more screen time.

I'm kind of surprise you don't rate it so high cigar joe. I guess we'll agree to disagree.  Afro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM