Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:19:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  anybody wanna have a go at this guy?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: anybody wanna have a go at this guy?  (Read 4848 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:18:27 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087843/board/thread/50111878?d=50111878#50111878

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Don Rogers
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:00:42 PM »

More than a year later, "this guy's" thread is still standing. The gauntlet has been thrown.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:50:38 PM »

Not so sure about the gauntlet.  I disagreed with so many points made on the imdb thread I was unable to stop shaking my head vehemently to even type anything here.  A year later....my head is still shaking.....

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 07:51:53 PM »

Not so sure about the gauntlet.  I disagreed with so many points made on the imdb thread I was unable to stop shaking my head vehemently to even type anything here.  A year later....my head is still shaking.....

Your talking to the same man who made that thread. Unless theirs two Don Rogers.

Who knows? Apparently theirs two JonOs as well.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »

Thanks FC.  I did notice that.  I read some of the threads and comments on the other site.  There's actually quite a few similar threads and posts there.   

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:04:11 AM »

I think I've said this before but I have respect for Don Rogers. He's upheld he's views over a year there, which is very unusual on IMDb, and I don't really remember him getting personal at any point. I haven't visited IMDb's OUATIA board too often after I signed up here and there is not much to discuss about any more since we went pretty deep in that thread and others, but I've never seen as good thread there as that one. I definitely do not agree with Don but I have deep respect for him Afro

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
shades
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:03:11 AM »

The main misconception here is that OUATIA is supposed to be a true to life gangster movie. It's not.  When Harry Grey/Greenberg wrote The Hoods he was attempting an autobiography of his early life.  Grey has subsequently stated that the only thing he exaggerated was Max's death - Max did not die - they were still friends in later life.  Leone never intended to make a biographical film but there were elements in the book which fascinated him.  Leone wanted to make a very special film - it's a story of love, betrayal and guilt and also echoes what happens to gangsters who live to an old age - a bit like Grey in his old age.

Of course OUATIA has flaws - there were several scriptwriters, many pages of dialog and action, last minute alterations, running out of time and money, the studio insisting upon cuts, which in reality could not be implemented successfully.  I like to think that if Leone had been allowed to make it in the length he preferred some of these would have been corrected - but I quite like it just the way it is with flaws and not fully explained puzzles.

If Don Rogers doesn't like it, that's his right and privilege but why go on about it?  There are films I don't like but I don't try to inflame the lovers of these films with derogatory remarks over a protracted period of time.  His initial posting at IMDB is severely flawed -

"the shifting timeframe of the film, which owes so much to the far superior Godfather Part II" Huh

"killers who were looking for Noodles at the beginning of the film were working for Max" Huh

"they (Max & Deborah) have a son in his mid-teens. (That kid is supposed to be hers, right?)" Huh

Quite frankly so many flaws that the first six pages are not worth reading.  The guy who wrote page 7 seems sensible.  We're all different and it's not mandatory to like a particular film.

If Don is serious about understanding OUATIA, he should re-watch it, read the book on which it is based, read the David Mills screenplay translation and read the postings on this board. Or wait till the special Silver Anniversary edition comes out. Or just accept that it's not his sort of film and he will never understand why some people love it.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:01:37 AM by shades » Logged
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »

Over the many months, he has re-watched the movie and acknowledged a few facts (including that it's not the kind of movie he likes).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
shades
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:39:42 AM »

I don't disagree with everything Don says - favorite directors Howard Hawks, Alfred Hitchcock, Akira Kurosawa, David Lean, Steven Spielberg, Billy Wilder, William Wyler - perhaps the list needs updating - although Spielberg's movies are a bit formulaic these days, he has in his lifetime made a massive contribution to films and cinema.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 10:04:34 AM »

More than a year later, "this guy's" thread is still standing. The gauntlet has been thrown.

You're a goof ball.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM