Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:48:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  reviews for obscure but commendable spaghetti westerns
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: reviews for obscure but commendable spaghetti westerns  (Read 40682 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 03:52:59 AM »

You mean the hosting for Firearm etc? Roll Eyes

yeah kinda. got this gig in hosting for a cinematech showcasing Leone's westerns. we could only have four so I fought for DYS to be played (as opposed to the more obvious choice WEST) and so it is...

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 05:05:05 PM »

Not that it is an sw...but it is sw in attitude.

saw Barquero just now.
It is a good western that I had the potential to be an excellent one. If Van Cleef were still alive and in good shape...i think this would be good for a remake.

I think the main problem is that Van Cleef (the hero) is given very little to do. He just kinda sits around and doesnt do much of anything until he is needed at the end to kill the main bad guy, who is played by warren Oates in an Indio like role.

recommended.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »

For those that have seen "Barquero" why is it that Van Cleef is wearing the baddies hat in this poster?Huh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065451/posters

the poster of "Barquero" in this page is much nicer (the one titled "Barquero poster 2") and makes much more sense Roll Eyes

http://www.westernposterpage.com/vancleef.htm

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »

Do you think Barquero counts as a sw?
I'm sure it wasn't filmed in Almeria and doesn't really resemble anything other than an American western,but an entertaining one at that!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »

like I said earlier Banjo...it isnt an sw. but it is in attitude.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »

Critics have called it the most Itlanianate of American Westerns, just think what a Leone, a Corbucci or a Sollima, could have done with the story.  Cool

The poster is a goof.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 01:32:25 AM »

Critics have called it the most Itlanianate of American Westerns
I'm not sure how,many they should see a few more films.   Grin I like Barquero a lot but theres not nearly enough action served up if its to be compared with sw's and its more of a psychological type western where there are large portions where nothing much happens.
     Any Firecracker as requested i'm tagging on the Matalo review for him to pull apart in due course Wink :-

This has got to be the most bizarre sw i've seen outside of Django Kill ,watched it this afternoon and i'm struggling what to make of it
The film starts of promising enough with a crazy outlaw called Bart who is about to be hung but is rescued by a mob,they run out of town only for Bart to gun down down his rescuers when they reach safety.He meets up with his two equally sadistic accomplices Bill and Ted(yes,really unless my ears need scringing ) and together with his girlfriend they go on to rob a stagecoach for gold,kill the passengers,but Bart is double crossed,shot in the back and left for dead.
    Now this is where it gets weird,Bill,Ted and girlfriend hide out in a ghost town called Benson which is "ruled" by one strange old woman called Mrs Benson.All sorts of bizarre stuff kicks off to the accompaniment of spaced out psychedelic music  and alien-like sound effects,with everything visually going haywire with the camera spinning and panning everywhere to disorientating effect and much of it in slow motion -and this carries on for the rest of the film.The crooks fall out,the gold is hidden,and a drifter(played by Lou Castel armed with boomerangs) stumbles thirstily into town only to be tortured to excessive proportions.Weider still is the constant apparation of a spooky singular eye and rifle wreaking havoc with the bad guys.This movie has a definate horror feel to it but is definately of its time with all the drug induced audio and visuals-oh yes there is a twist at the end but this is rather predictable.
Maybe the director Cesare Canavari should be commended for pulling something different from out of the bag for his only sw but i still recommend one should treat this one with caution.I'm in no hurry for a 2nd viewing!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »

saw "Death Plays the flute" last night. I think he can be apart of our "good obscure sw" reviews...as it was a good entertaining entry to the genre.

the review will be written shortly.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 02:21:42 AM »

I wasn't too enamoured with Death Played The Flute but i'll wait for your review Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 11:35:11 PM »

Review for "Death Played the flute".

A good solid spaghetti. This is a really no nonsense brutal film in which the director waste no time by trying to make you laugh with a cutesy joke or two, he wants to get to the nitty gritty right from the get go.

Our hero Barton comes back home to find that his daughter has been raped and his wife murdered. He sets out to seek for the baddies that did his family wrong...only...there is one problem...he doesnt know what they look like.
He hires a shady flute playing gunslinger named Whistler who claims to know what the bad guys look like. What Barton doesnt know is that Whistler was involved in the murder/rape. We are never really given a reason as to why Whistler wants to help kill his old comrades..we just have to assume it was because he felt bad for the crime he witnessed, which the movie does set-up in the beginning, but it is rather vague.

I must say that Barton is the most useless spaghetti hero I have ever laid eyes on. The guy never once kills a member of the gang that raided his home. In fact...he only kills like two guys in a completly unrelated segment to the plot. The one who ends up avenging his wife's murder is Whistler. He kills all the members of the gang one by one and that sorta sets him up as the hero (even though he is a semi-baddie).
Barton never even finds out that Whistler was apart of the raiders...
The most unlikly of characters kills Whistler at the end ( I wont say who though).

The action scenes are sometimes bland but always entertaining.
The theme song is called "a man is made of love" which deserves to be shoved into a lesser movie like "shoot the living ,pray for the dead". The rest of the music is mostly suspense music that fits the movie well.
The direction is much like the action sequences...sometimes Bland but most of the time pretty dynamic and fun.

Whistler is a cool "Hero". He wears a neat leather duster and plays a flute which can shoot darts (ok fine. He uses it in one scene  Roll Eyes).
Unfortunatly he has the worst hair-do I have ever seen...even worse then Tony Anthony.
I sometimes mistook him for an Elvis impersonator.
And he has quite an annoying laugh , more of a nervous chuckle really.

overall a good entertaining obscure spaghetti that doesnt try to be something special.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 11:38:04 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 02:08:52 AM »

I sometimes mistook him for an Elvis impersonator.
He,he the same thoughts occured to me too-Elvis Las Vegas era-not his coolest,and the Whistler wasn't particular cool either,and  Barton was very bland.
    I watched this half-asleep late at night (so perhaps i should have another look) ,and this (very low-budget -not usually a problem for me)movie just seemed to drag a bit too much and the ending (*spoiler ahead*) where the girl takes seemingly forever to gun down( in slow-slow-motion  Tongue )Elvis(the flute was a pathetically minute wooden whistle with an impossibly low pitch  Shocked )was dragged out to ludicrous proportions.You're right about the music,very airy-fairy and of its time for the 1970's,not sw material Sad

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:10:48 AM by banjo » Logged
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 04:30:02 AM »

I really enjoyed Death Played the Flute  Grin lol sometimes I think I am just far too easily pleased though lol.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 04:58:10 AM »

Well i'm outnumbered 2 to 1,and quite often i'll change my mind about a movie.Its no good really trying to watch a new film when ones nearly nodding off Embarrassed

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 06:39:38 AM »

Great obscure spaghetti!
a little hidden gem I say.

Garko stars (pre Sartana) in this dark and bleak spaghetti western.
Garko's wife is the victim of a rape/murder. He joins up with a friend to seek revenge. When Garko kills the men he believes to be his wife's murderers he becomes deranged by the blood shed and becomes a violent outlaw. Eventually his friend has to take him down.
This is a wonderful character piece with plenty of action. It succeeds in what "Day of Anger" and "Face to Face" TRIED to accomplish...a well done character change. The film takes the time to show you what is going on inside Garko's head throughout and you follow the character as he goes down to the "darkside", as it were. FTF and DOA accomplish this in a half-assed manner, they would rather show you the next big set piece then bother showing you the change of the characters.

While "Cowards dont pray" is no where near as good as FTF and DOA it still holds a big victory by showing you a very well made character piece.

The main problem with it is the direction is not very consistant. Some segments are shot beautifully while other segments suffer from the direction being very amatuerish. One or two of the action scenes arent very well put together and you dont really understand what is going on until the scene is over. perhaps this is my dvd copie's fault. It's not the best looking of transfers (the night scenes are a real pain in the ass to see what is going on) but it isnt horrible either.

The dialogue is sometimes laughably cheesy but that is to be expected in this genre so it didnt bother me. The acting is damn good. though I think Garko seems to overact a bit at times (think "Blood at sundown" and you'll get the idea) but for the most part he is very good and by the end of the picture you feel sorry for him even though he is a merciless killing machine.
Everybody else does a good job as well.

Most of the musical score is forgettable except for the main theme which has children chanting (this piece of music works well in a few scenes).

all in all...This is an above average entry to the genre. Were not talking top 20 material here...but top 50 out of my 120 sounds like a good place for it.

this is one of Garko's better films outside the Sartana series.
Right on par with "Vengeance is Mine" and "10,000 for a massacre".

Great film! go find this gem now!
I watched this sw this morning and i'm not sure i agree with you over Brians(Garko's) transformation because more or less following his wifes murder he is a totally changed man-killing from the off without scruples-straight away very trigger happy and very early in the film demands money from a guy for having just killed his son. Shocked
 *SPOILER WARNING*
The only real surprise where he matches the maniacal intensity from Blood At Sundown is near the end where he totally snaps instantaneously on seeing the sheriffs star(this object is the only enduring memory from his wifes demise)on his friend Robert and kills him.
He's a nutter from the word go Roll Eyes
    With Scot Mary in Day Of Anger i don't see it as Mary going through a transformation rather than him being manipulated by Talby.Instead of being bad guy killer Mary is only throughout protecting Talbys back-and the townsfolk Mary takes out his revenge on are no better in terms of evil deeds than Talby.Mary never becomes the monster that Brad(from FTH) or Brian is ,and  underneath still has a heart of gold and he realises his
wrongdoing by Talbys misdirection following his mentor Murph's murder by Talby.
    I still think that Brads transformation from poorly professor to ruthless killer is well handled in FTF.Its quite apparent from Brads speech to his pupils prior to the main film titles that he places a high value on people making their mark on history-and i believe from this speech that Brad most definately has a killer lurking within him which is only being held back by his education and background.Meeting Beau GRADUALLY brings out the bad guy in him and you can tell from Brads hesistation in helping out Beau (by killing)that he is suffering a total dilema over his actions-but with his obsession with history etc  he just can't help himself in the end.Its very interesting that as soon as Brad arrives at Bennets Raiders hideout he is totally fixated by these bandits,he knows he is more intelligent than them and just can't help himself from joining them and making his mark.Brad is one of the most fascinating characters in a sw and is brilliantly played by Volonte.
Equally brilliant is Milians Beau and his transformation is handled equally as well.He is a savage monster at the start of FTF but starting from when he just couldn't quite shoot Brad the seeds are already there to suggest that Beau isn't all that bad and which is gradually helped along by Brads early relaying wisdom about right and wrong.By the time of the failed bank heist Beau is totterring on rejecting this lifestyle by being unable to kill the boy,and as Charlie Siringo says at the end the" real Beauregard Bennett doesn't exist anymore anyhow"
FTF is a truly great sw on par with Leone on many levels AND more thought provoking.
  BTW,Cowards Don't Pray is excellent including the soundtrack.I'd give it an 80% rating. Wink

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:54 AM »

I still don't think it was a "character change" rather than wanting instant revenge for Murph.He would never have killed Talby otherwise and judging by the regret displayed by the last scene-he loved and respected Talby still nearly as much as Murph.
   What about my Face to Face comments?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM