Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 06:29:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  reviews for obscure but commendable spaghetti westerns
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: reviews for obscure but commendable spaghetti westerns  (Read 39613 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »

The intro alone is worth the price of admission.

Disturbing wasn't it?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2006, 04:12:33 PM »

Disturbing wasn't it?
Nope, just really cool.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2006, 04:39:08 PM »

Nope, just really cool.

haha.. yeah.. it takes quite a bit to disturb in this day and age

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2006, 07:02:21 AM »

Well I only saw the first 15 minutes of Vengeance, but from what I saw it was really good.
Yeah Vengeance is ace but apart from his physical presence the uncharasmatic Richard Harrison(wasn't he nearly the MWNN? Undecided)is a pretty ordinary anti-hero and he wasn't too much cop either in Between God,The Devil and A Winchester and Jesse & Lester(a clone of Franco Neros " Pengiun" in this one!!).
In fact i'm surprised he was employed for so many sw's but (through trading) i've still got to take a look at Holy Water Joe,His Name Is King,100,000 Dollars For Ringo and Rojo.†

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »

Richard Harrison(wasn't he nearly the MWNN? Undecided)

YEP. the idiot turned it down to do a safe Peplum.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »

Review for...

"California" (1977)
Directed by Michele Lupo

A spaghetti western made late in the game. This nice installment to the genre was released one year after the brilliant "Keoma" and the same year as the decent "Mannaja". Strangely enough these three films are very similar in tone and style. Each of the trio contains a very dark story line filled with run down sets and pessimistic views towards the human race. The three also have their fair share of slow-mo violence (ala Peckinpah). Out of the these three (Mannaja, Keoma and California) "California" is the most unusual but also the most involving. You never once kid yourself that Giuliano Gemma is as mystical as Franco Nero in the role of "Keoma" or as inhumanly deadly as Maurizio Merli as "Blade". No, Gemma's Michael "California" Random is made of softer stuff which makes him more accesible to our acceptance.

The Plot

It's the end of the American Civil War and confederate soldier California (Gemma) has been released from a Union prison camp. He begins to make trails to no where imperticular when suddenly a younger ex-confederate soldier named Willy Preston (played by singer Miguel Bosť) runs into him and wants to befriend him. At first California wants nothing to do with Willy  but they soon learn to bond after realizing Mercenaries are after the price on freed confederate prisoners' heads (that includes them!). After dodging a fearsome and sadisitic Bounty hunter by the name of Whitaker, the two companians reach a ghost town where they are ambushed by Confederate hating Northerners. The Vigilantes shoot and hang Willy leaving California no choice but to make trails to Willy's home in Georgia to tell the bad news to his folks and older sister.

After California tells of the grim news to the Preston Family he is welcomed to stay at the farm for as long as he likes. Willy's sister Helen (who is played by Miguel Bosť's real life sister Paola) predictably falls in love with California and the two share a budding romance.... that is until Helen is kidnapped by the mean, nasty, terrible, ghastly and all around bad bounty hunter Whitaker.

California must saddle up and search for Helen even if he must side with the enemy to do it.

my take:

The film very much feels like three movies in one. You have the half hour relationship between California and Willy(which feels like the first part of a buddy movie), you have the sappy romance segment in the middle of the film and then you have the search party (which consist only of one man) stuff for the thrid act. Needless to stay the movie rambles here and there and perhaps it's a little too long for it's own good but it's a well crafted film with some very well done action sequences.

The fist fights are particularly excellent (Which is saying something in a genre that has some of the worst fist fights ever put to celluloid). During a scuffle you can be sure that wood planks, fences and even brick walls (!) will be destroyed to make way for the competitors to further duke it out without breaking a sweat or getting exhausted. It's all good fun until somebody is beaten to death or impaled by a stake, then it just becomes down right COOL.

The gunfights are equally nice, always taking place in some deserted ghost town with buildings that crumble at the firing of a bullet. I must point out that set designer Carlo Simi did his best work for this movie. All the ghost towns are especially spooky with muddy streets and ram shackled buildings. One set even includes craters on the town street formed by cannon fire during some recent battle.

Gemma is great as the loner known as California. He seems to have some sort of past that he wants to desperatly put behind him but we never quite find out what that past is (shades of his character in "and for a roof a skyful of stars") and we don't need to. It's not important. He tells us all we need to know about him through his performance.

William Berger has a small role as Willy Preston's father. For you Berger fans out there don't expect him to be shooting anybody or even take part in any action sequences. Fair warning.

The soundtrack is mostly mood music although there is an attempt to have some memorable score with the main title theme but it is an utter failure in the memorable department (shucks).

Director Michele Lupo made five other spaghetti westerns besides this one (three starring Gemma ). I have seen three of the five and so far this is his best effort. An enjoyable film, one of the last (if not THE last) good spaghetti westerns before the genre was buried on Boot Hill.

Finally got round to slapping this in the dvd player and i concur with everything Firecracker says apart from the soundtrack which i thought was pretty memorable including some great grandois keyboard playing.
   I'm pretty sure that Lupo must have seen Clint Eastwoods Outlaw Josey Wales because  of the tone of this post civil war setting  from the weary , downtrodden  , defeated Confederates perspective,the Rope Whittaker character and gang reminded me very much of the redlegs in Clints and very much the ending where the hero is let off by the authorities.Even the young sidekick is murdered early on in both movies.
   I've watched Black Killer(awhile ago) but i'm gonna take another look so i can comment  Afro

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:53:49 PM by banjo » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2007, 02:13:06 AM »

Review for "Black Killer"

Thomas Weisser calls this a "text-book example of the genre" and for once he couldn't be more correct. This very entertiaining flick is a perfect example of the genre. A gritty "revenge for a slaughtered family" plot mixed with "corrupt town boss" schtick. It's violent, bloody and has some added quirk and nudity in it. A full lengthed role by Klaus Kinski is added for good measure.

A mysterious Man in black (Kinski) rides into the town of Tombstone. He says he is a lawyer named James Webb and carries a gaggle of thick law books around with him. He acquires himself a room at the local hotel and begins to take part in some shady conversations with the town judge. He is especially interested in some land that two mexican outlaws, inaccuratly called the "O'Hara brothers", have stolen.

When the O'Hara's kill a town sheriff, Webb wastes no time in dispatching some of their lackies using his pistols that are intricatly hidden inside his text books and are rigged to go off when he pulls on a book mark. Of course at this point we don't know why he does this nor do we know what he is up to. His motives are not revealed until the very end of the picture.

After the first twenty minutes another Stranger by the name of Burt Collins rides into town and Kinski's character takes a back seat throughout the rest of the picture (he is just shown sneaking around town dropping in on secret conversations held by some villains and shooting from his books when necessary), instead the film becomes the adventures of Burt Collins.

Burt has come to tombstone to visit his brother Peter who is living on the outskirts of town with his indian wife Sarah (another unusual name for a certain character). While Burt spends the night at Peter's house, the house is raided by the O'Hara brothers and Peter is killed. Sarah is brutally raped and Burt gets beaten to a Pulp and left for dead.
Both Burt and Sarah head to the O'hara's hideout for revenge.
The movie has a lot of female frontal nudity, mostly from a saloon girl named Consuelo but Sarah the indian girl shows her back side a few times as well (Nudity is a rare occasion in the genre).

Enjoyed the flick but I have a few minor gripes with it, first and foremost the costumes the O'Hara brothers wear, they have these really ridiculous color coordinated costumes that make them look like circus performers. One of the brothers (the red suited one) has a utility belt full of throwing knives, he only uses these once. The knives should have been a running theme and his death should have involved something with a knife as oppsed to just getting shot.

The very end (I won't get into details as not to spoil anything) shows the revenge driven hero (Burt) to be not so honest as one would expect. In fact his activities at the end make him seem indifferent to his brothers death.

otherwise great action packed film.

The actors:

Kinski is noteworthy as Webb, he brings this mystique to the film that few actors can accomplish.

Fred Robsahm plays Burt Collins very well. In fact I liked him for all the reasons Shobary (http://spaghettiwesterns.1g.fi/black/killer.htm) didn't like him. Shoabry writes "  looks dirty and probably smells bad too". I think that's the whole point of a down and dirty spaghetti western hero but I guess it's different strokes for different folks (shrugs).

Marina Mulligan is cute a sassy as the Indian girl seeking revenge on the villians for killing her husband and raping her in the process. Surprisingly this remains to be mulligan's only contribution to cinema.

The Music:
I enjoyed the horror music esq. type tune for the "James Webb theme" but everything else is barely passable as an Italian western score.

Verdict: a solid spaghetti.
     Saw this again yesterday.Enjoyable,above average-but not that much- i think Kinski is miscast as the government pen pusher spending too much time lurking around offices sifting through legal paperwork etc and the number of times he has to open that damn book to reveal the hidden pistol pushes home the point too much-a gimmick that is overused MUCH TOO MUCH  and it gets annoying after awhile.
  Yes the O'Haras look ridicolous with their dodgy Engelbert Humperdinct hairdo's and mustaches together with Red Indian-like attire but theres no complaints here about the naked female lovelies.I agree about the soundtrack -it got off to a promising start but afterwards quite ordinary though adequate.
    I thought the pacing of the movie could've been upped abit-as i said above the Kinski scenes were tedious and the cosy wood shack scenes involving the hero's brother and Indian squaw also dragged  it  down.
   I'd give it 7 out of 10 Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »

I had a problem with the surprise ending. It renders the heroe's efforts to extract revenge for his brother's death pointless. He was just after the money it seems.

Did you object to this bit as well Banjo?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »

Did you object to this bit as well Banjo?
Yes not quite the way Col.Mortimer would've reacted ,but obviously the director's no Sergio Leone!

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »

Saw this again yesterday.Enjoyable,above average-but not that much- i think Kinski is miscast as the government pen pusher spending too much time lurking around offices sifting through legal paperwork etc and the number of times he has to open that damn book to reveal the hidden pistol pushes home the point too much-a gimmick that is overused MUCH TOO MUCH  and it gets annoying after awhile.
  Yes the O'Haras look ridicolous with their dodgy Engelbert Humperdinct hairdo's and mustaches together with Red Indian-like attire but theres no complaints here about the naked female lovelies.I agree about the soundtrack -it got off to a promising start but afterwards quite ordinary though adequate.
    I thought the pacing of the movie could've been upped abit-as i said above the Kinski scenes were tedious and the cosy wood shack scenes involving the hero's brother and Indian squaw also dragged  it  down.
   I'd give it 7 out of 10 Afro

just watched this last night... was fairly disappointed..

i am in agreement on the pacing of this movie.. particularly the scenes involving the brother/indian girl. actually, the indian girl annoyed the hell out of me the entire movie, except for when she was naked. and once she enters the film, she never leaves.

the directing was not bad.

the costumes.. yes, very bad indeed. one particular bad guy stands out in my mind.. he's only just some extra who's only purpose is to get shot, but he looks absolutely ridiculous. he's wearing what i remember looking like white pajamas, oversized looking boots, and the most ridiculous looking sombrero i've ever seen. granted, it was the smallest of roles, but that embodies my feelings for the costumes in this movie. the indian girl's outfit also drove me crazy

Quote from: Firecracker
I had a problem with the surprise ending. It renders the heroe's efforts to extract revenge for his brother's death pointless. He was just after the money it seems.

this bothered me also... its like he doesn't even care about his brother, at all

the action, while there was a fair amount of it, never really seemed to engage me

overall, i give it an: eh

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2007, 10:31:08 PM »

Ah well what can I say?...I went in expecting very little so I guess I was surprised at how fun it turned out to be.

Pretty violent to!

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »

Ah well what can I say?...I went in expecting very little so I guess I was surprised at how fun it turned out to be.

Pretty violent to!

yeah, i'm sure i was expecting a bit much from it... and it was also a bit of a rushed viewing.. had to pause it a few times to take care of some stuff... i'm sure i will enjoy it more on the 2nd go

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »

Review for...

"Spara, Gringo spara!"

aka

"Shoot, Gringo... Shoot!"

"The Longest Hunt"

"Rainbow"

Directed by Bruno Corbucci

Sergio Corbucci's little brother (and at times writing partner), Bruno, directed three spaghetti westerns. This being one of them.

Infamous gunslinger, Chad Stark, (American tv actor Brain Kelly) is hired by a wealthy mexican rancher to hunt down and retrieve his son, Fidel, who has ran away from home to join up with an army of deadly outlaws. Fortunatly for Stark, the army is run by his long time, duck loving (I kid you not) friend Major Charlie Donaghen. After a quick reunion and some fancy wordplay, Stark dupes the Major into handing over Fidel so they both can prepare an ambush for a large shipment of gold being transported by train across the desert (all fabricated in Stark's mind to fool the Major into allowing him to travel with Fidel alone). Once far into the desert Stark ties up Fidel and begins to make the long journey back to the boy's father's Ranch where his reward is waiting. Fidel has other plans though. After a scuffle atop a sand dune (a particularly good fight scene for the genre's standards) Fidel gets free of Stark and heads off into the wilderness.
Eventually the Major realizes he has been made a fool of and heads after Stark with the intention of killing him for his treachery.
It all leads up to the SHOCKING finale.

Very similar to Sollima's "The Big Gundown" in that Stark frequently captures Fidel, only for the boy to escape (once) again by tricking him (much like Corbett and Cuchillo's misadventures in the aforementioned film). 
However unlike the Sollima film, the escapes and recaptures never get tiring and never border along the ridiculous (The "snake bite" scene in TBG comes to mind). Each set peice is fresh and new. One such set peice  takes place on a swinging bridge suspended above a canyon. This sort of thing would be more suitable in a 1930's adventure serial, but it's a fine addition here.
There are some frantic gunfights inbetween all this too!

Could have easily seen George Hilton in the role of Chad Stark (whom I would have preferred over Kelly) and some of the gunfights are sloppily edited but those are my only complaints.
Competant score by composer Sante Maria Romitelli. The music manages to be mildly memorable (light years ahead of his score for "God's Gun").

one of the genre's favorite actressess Erica Blanc makes a short appearence as a traveling farmer's daughter. Good to have her in the film as she is easy on my eyes.

A nice hidden gem that should be sought after!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:03:54 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2007, 09:04:51 AM »

Are we gonna see a review for Sugar Colt?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »

Are we gonna see a review for Sugar Colt?

Yes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM