Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 03:37:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  reviews for obscure but commendable spaghetti westerns
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: reviews for obscure but commendable spaghetti westerns  (Read 40579 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:35:47 PM »

Review for...

"Cowards don't Pray" (aka taste of vengeance)

Garko stars (pre Sartana) in this dark and bleak spaghetti western.
Garko's wife is the victim of a rape/murder. He joins up with a friend to seek revenge. When Garko kills the men he believes to be his wife's murderers he becomes deranged by the blood shed and becomes a violent outlaw. Eventually his friend has to take him down.
This is a wonderful character piece with plenty of action. It succeeds in what "Day of Anger" and "Face to Face" TRIED to accomplish...a well done character change. The film takes the time to show you what is going on inside Garko's head throughout and you follow the character as he goes down to the "darkside", as it were. FTF and DOA accomplish this in a half-assed manner, they would rather show you the next big set piece then bother showing you the change of the characters.

While "Cowards dont pray" is no where near as good as FTF and DOA it still holds a big victory by showing you a very well made character piece.

The main problem with it is the direction is not very consistant. Some segments are shot beautifully while other segments suffer from the direction being very amatuerish. One or two of the action scenes arent very well put together and you dont really understand what is going on until the scene is over. perhaps this is my dvd copie's fault. It's not the best looking of transfers (the night scenes are a real pain in the ass to see what is going on) but it isnt horrible either.

The dialogue is sometimes laughably cheesy but that is to be expected in this genre so it didnt bother me. The acting is damn good. though I think Garko seems to overact a bit at times (think "Blood at sundown" and you'll get the idea) but for the most part he is very good and by the end of the picture you feel sorry for him even though he is a merciless killing machine.
Everybody else does a good job as well.

Most of the musical score is forgettable except for the main theme which has children chanting (this piece of music works well in a few scenes).

all in all...This is an above average entry to the genre. Were not talking top 20 material here...but top 50 out of my 120 sounds like a good place for it.

this is one of Garko's better films outside the Sartana series.
Right on par with "Vengeance is Mine" and "10,000 for a massacre".

Great film! go find this gem now!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:24:33 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:48:10 PM »

Great obscure spaghetti!
a little hidden gem I say.

Garko stars (pre Sartana) in this dark and bleak spaghetti western.
Garko's wife is the victim of a rape/murder. He joins up with a friend to seek revenge. When Garko kills the men he believes to be his wife's murderers he becomes deranged by the blood shed and becomes a violent outlaw. Eventually his friend has to take him down.
This is a wonderful character piece with plenty of action. It succeeds in what "Day of Anger" and "Face to Face" TRIED to accomplish...a well done character change. The film takes the time to show you what is going on inside Garko's head throughout and you follow the character as he goes down to the "darkside", as it were. FTF and DOA accomplish this in a half-assed manner, they would rather show you the next big set piece then bother showing you the change of the characters.

While "Cowards dont pray" is no where near as good as FTF and DOA it still holds a big victory by showing you a very well made character piece.

The main problem with it is the direction is not very consistant. Some segments are shot beautifully while other segments suffer from the direction being very amatuerish. One or two of the action scenes arent very well put together and you dont really understand what is going on until the scene is over. perhaps this is my dvd copie's fault. It's not the best looking of transfers (the night scenes are a real pain in the ass to see what is going on) but it isnt horrible either.

The dialogue is sometimes laughably cheesy but that is to be expected in this genre so it didnt bother me. The acting is damn good. though I think Garko seems to overact a bit at times (think "Blood at sundown" and you'll get the idea) but for the most part he is very good and by the end of the picture you feel sorry for him even though he is a merciless killing machine.
Everybody else does a good job as well.

Most of the musical score is forgettable except for the main theme which has children chanting (this piece of music works well in a few scenes).

all in all...This is an above average entry to the genre. Were not talking top 20 material here...but top 50 out of my 120 sounds like a good place for it.

this is one of Garko's better films outside the Sartana series.
Right on par with "Vengeance is Mine" and "10,000 for a massacre".

Great film! go find this gem now!

Sounds like The Bravados, spaghetti western style.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:49:15 PM »

Sounds like The Bravados, spaghetti western style.
yes, violent, gritty, and more entertaining.
I'm slightly over simplifying the plot to CDP in my review though. there is more stuff going on in there...

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »

Wild East should really remaster this.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 02:07:57 AM »

Bout time i played my copy Firecracker!  Smiley
Have you watched And Sartana Killed Them All yet? Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »

Have you watched And Sartana Killed Them All yet? Roll Eyes

no I havent Banjo. any good?
I'm changing this thread to another title to include some more reviews.

Saw "Death Sentence" last night. It's excellent! I'll be writing a review tomorrow.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:38:09 PM »

hey guys. Ive hijacked my own thread and moved it over to Sundance's wonderful (but vacant) spag forum.

if you would like to read the rest of my reviews here is a link to his site...

http://www.sundances.net/forums/index.php

my thread is under "the movies" section.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:10:28 AM »

added my "Death Sentence" review here...

http://www.sundances.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33#33

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 03:21:53 AM »

Death Sentence deserves its own thread here-really its that good and i'd expect Shobary to give it at least a 90% rating.
As well as Milians brilliant albino villain,the other three baddies (in this sw which is basically a film of 4 short stories but works remarkably well) are excellent as well including Aldolfo Celi(who played Largo in the James Bond film Thunderball) as the sadistic preist and a special mention for Enrico Maria Salerno(as a seemingly unbeatable card shark) who i've also been highly impressed the other 3 sw's  i've seen him in - Death Walks In Laredo(another top sw for review Firecracker? Roll Eyes ) , Train For Durango(a neat Bullet For The General parody) and Bandidos(check out Leone Admirers SW Virgins thread Wink ).I understand that Salerno is very highly regarded in Italy,and rightly so Smiley 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 03:27:48 AM »

Death Sentence deserves its own thread here-really its that good and i'd expect Shobary to give it at least a 90% rating.
As well as Milians brilliant albino villain,the other three baddies (in this sw which is basically a film of 4 short stories but works remarkably well) are excellent as well including Aldolfo Celi(who played Largo in the James Bond film Thunderball) as the sadistic preist and a special mention for Enrico Maria Salerno(as a seemingly unbeatable card shark) who i've also been highly impressed the other 3 sw's  i've seen him in - Death Walks In Laredo(another top sw for review Firecracker? Roll Eyes ) , Train For Durango(a neat Bullet For The General parody) and Bandidos(check out Leone Admirers SW Virgins thread Wink ).I understand that Salerno is very highly regarded in Italy,and rightly so Smiley 

seen Bandidos.
I would give it an 85%

gotta agree with you on "Death Sentence". If shobary doesnt give it at least a 90% we'll murder em.
He'll be getting it soon from me so we shall see.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 03:34:44 AM »

never mind people...were back in buisness.

here is the review...

review for "death sentence"

ya know once you get past the 100th movie mark in the spaghetti western genre...things start to get a little crappy. pretty much every other film is a tremendous piece of crap and everything else is just average.
how ever..."Death Sentence" is made of finer stuff.

The story is a standard revenge tale. A Gunslinger named Django (  ) witnesses his brother being killed by four baddies. Naturally Django is gets angry and sets out for revenge against the four nasty men. what is so good about the film is the staging and the plotting. The is set up in four different acts (or episodes). each episode is different from the other and Django dispatches of his foes in ways that are suitable to their own characters.
The first nasty Django takes care of was greedy for land...so Django chases him all across the desert with no water or food. In the next act the baddie is a gambler...so a game of cards is inevitable, however the stakes are a matter of life or death. The third act Django faces a deranged Preacher who executes "sinners" with his own revolver.

And the final villian Django must face is probably one of the most memorable villians you will ever run across during your spaghetti veiwings. He is an albino insane for gold and blonde woman. who else to play this dastardly and terminally weird character other than cuban actor Tomas Milain!
Though Tomas overacts as this character (especially during a very disturbing seizure scene) that is part of the fun! Despite the rather silly white wig he has on the character is really creepy, almost like a vampire. in fact their are times when I think Milian is channeling Max Shrek as Count Orlock from "Nosferatu".

The film becomes increasingly like a horror film as it moves through it's four acts.
by the third act you have a preacher that seems to be into satanic like rituals and then in the fourth act the final scene takes place in a ruined church that is said to be "cursed" (as mentioned by one of the villians lackies).

the music itself has a very spooky feel to it.
however the main theme is very campy and fun.

This is not one to be missed! certainly we are talking top 30 material here!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:06:37 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 03:38:47 AM »

Thats a great new thread title Firecracker and a useful counterpoint for your crappiest sw guide Wink
Have you watched either Death Walks in Laredo or Train For Durango yet? Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 03:39:21 AM »

This thread can also be found at sundance's forum.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 03:41:02 AM »

Thats a great new thread title Firecracker and a useful counterpoint for your crappiest sw guide Wink
Have you watched either Death Walks in Laredo or Train For Durango yet? Roll Eyes

no I havent seen either sadly. perhaps some time this weekend as I have hosting to do on the morrow (or today, depending on where you are in the world).

I like to think of this as the opposite of my other thread as well. Smiley

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 03:50:26 AM »

You mean the hosting for Firearm etc? Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: