Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:38:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Finally saw it...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finally saw it...  (Read 2903 times)
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:39:57 PM »

...and I'm sorry to say that I wasn't all too crazy about it. After thinking for a long after finishing it, I came to two reasons why I didn't like the film.

Reason One - I just don't really like the ganster genre. Though I can't say I've seen too many, one exception I'd make is the Godfather movies. One ganster movie I hated, and I mean hated so much that I didn't even finish it, was Goodfellas. Though not liking a genre of film doesn't mean I won't like a movie from it. I wasn't crazy about westerns before I saw Fistful of Dollars, but I did previously enjoy pseudo westerns such as Three Amigos, Westworld, Back to the Future Part III, and Fievel Goes West. But anyways, maybe it was the "commercialization", as some people around here have used that word, of the Godfather movies that made me at least like those.

Reason Two - It was confussing. Every once in a while I thought that I understood what was going on, but then something would happen that made me think "wtf?". I had similar problems, though to a much lesser extent with OUATITW, and had to ask a few questions on the IMDb boards before understanding whatever I asked, but at least I understood enough of that movie to enjoy it a lot even on my first viewing. It would take a much longer list for me to say what I didn't understand about this movie.

It wasn't all bad, though. I enjoyed the 1910's section of the movie a lot. I read before hand that it was a pretty big chunck of the film, but it flew by so fast that I was a little dissapointed when I realised it was jumping back to the future. And it was nice to see Treat Williams in his small role, but unfortunately, his scenes were some of the highlights of what I didn't understand of the plot. But it was interesting seeing him way back then. (BTW, while we're on the subject of him, I'll give 2 scooby-snacks to anyone who can provide screen-caps of him in Empire Strikes Back; apparently he was in there somewhere.)

So that's what I have to say about this movie. I may give it another chance in a year or so, (it's such a long movie I don't want to have to find the time to watch it again too soon), and maybe I poke around the threads here and see if I can get some questions answered. Better yet, maybe if I read the book that can make the plot more understandable for me. Anyone who's read it think that would help?

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »

...and I'm sorry to say that I wasn't all too crazy about it. After thinking for a long after finishing it, I came to two reasons why I didn't like the film.

Reason One - I just don't really like the ganster genre. Though I can't say I've seen too many, one exception I'd make is the Godfather movies. One ganster movie I hated, and I mean hated so much that I didn't even finish it, was Goodfellas. Though not liking a genre of film doesn't mean I won't like a movie from it. I wasn't crazy about westerns before I saw Fistful of Dollars, but I did previously enjoy pseudo westerns such as Three Amigos, Westworld, Back to the Future Part III, and Fievel Goes West. But anyways, maybe it was the "commercialization", as some people around here have used that word, of the Godfather movies that made me at least like those.

Reason Two - It was confussing. Every once in a while I thought that I understood what was going on, but then something would happen that made me think "wtf?". I had similar problems, though to a much lesser extent with OUATITW, and had to ask a few questions on the IMDb boards before understanding whatever I asked, but at least I understood enough of that movie to enjoy it a lot even on my first viewing. It would take a much longer list for me to say what I didn't understand about this movie.

It wasn't all bad, though. I enjoyed the 1910's section of the movie a lot. I read before hand that it was a pretty big chunck of the film, but it flew by so fast that I was a little dissapointed when I realised it was jumping back to the future. And it was nice to see Treat Williams in his small role, but unfortunately, his scenes were some of the highlights of what I didn't understand of the plot. But it was interesting seeing him way back then. (BTW, while we're on the subject of him, I'll give 2 scooby-snacks to anyone who can provide screen-caps of him in Empire Strikes Back; apparently he was in there somewhere.)

So that's what I have to say about this movie. I may give it another chance in a year or so, (it's such a long movie I don't want to have to find the time to watch it again too soon), and maybe I poke around the threads here and see if I can get some questions answered. Better yet, maybe if I read the book that can make the plot more understandable for me. Anyone who's read it think that would help?

I felt the exact same way when I first saw it. Just watch it one or two more times, believe me, you'll end up loving it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:29:11 PM »

Like Peace says give it another shot.

it's strange but this is the only one of Leone's last three films that I liked immediatly. strange because like you (beaubutabi) I hate hate HATE gangster flicks.

but oddly enough I really loved this one from the get go.
unlike OUATITW and DYS which I had to watch twice until I realized what masterpieces those are!

Once again, Like you, I didnt understand everything the first time around either...but for some reason it didnt bother me...I really dig that anyway. In his last three films Leone begs you to revisit them again and again.

The whole story is just so well put together. once you hear the song "Yesterday" on the piano at the climax of the film everything comes full circle again.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 06:47:46 AM »

That's pretty much the way I felt about it when I first saw it.  (Then again my DVD player broke down about halfway through it, so that might be part of it. Tongue) Loved the 1920's scenes but was confused by everything else and bored by the end.  I didn't see it again for ten months, but then I loved it, and it keeps growing on me every time I see it.

The Union subplot with your boy Treat was one of the things that really suffered from the film's editing, there were a lot more scenes with his character (as well as reportedly Danny Aiello's) in the original script, and some of it may even have been filmed.

Try and watch it again at least one more time, if you don't like it then, well, it's just not your kind of movie.

"The Hoods" is very hard to find, I haven't been able to track it down myself.  It's basically the first two parts of the story told in narrative form.  From what I've read of it it's similar to the movie but it also has many significant differences.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 11:20:13 AM »

sacrilege!!! Shocked Huh Grin
like the others said you'll have to watch it few times more Wink

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 04:52:52 PM »

I have seen this movie 3 times, maybe 2, just felt like 3. and I still dont like it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:11:54 PM »

Well that's alright, Amaze.  Nobody's making you. . .

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 05:15:58 PM »

Well that's alright, Amaze.  Nobody's making you. . .

Yes we are...  Grin

Seriously I know a few people who don't like it, hell I don't like Star Wars  Shocked (and there is no way in hell would I compare this film to that)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM