Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:17:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Notes for Harmonica theme
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Notes for Harmonica theme  (Read 5614 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:15:25 PM »

I put this into another thread in GBU section, but I post it here, too, because here is where it belongs.

The notes are simply notes, the numbers and letters below are meant for harmonica. The melody is created by something, what is called "lowering" by the author of this notation. The whole thing is blowed into one's mouth, not out it, if you understand... and when there is an arrow down, you must lower it somehow, I haven't tried it yet. Harmonica probably makes it with his hands, while the author prefers doing it with his tongue... Arrow up means end of lowering. The numbers are numbers of holes in the harmonica. I wish I knew exact terms for it...
Author of notation is Czech harmonica player Tomáš Linka. Many thanks to him, guys!
It seems that you have free hands for varying this theme. I don't have the whole song, sorry.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »

I put this into another thread in GBU section, but I post it here, too, because here is where it belongs.

The notes are simply notes, the numbers and letters below are meant for harmonica. The melody is created by something, what is called "lowering" by the author of this notation. The whole thing is blowed into one's mouth, not out it, if you understand... and when there is an arrow down, you must lower it somehow, I haven't tried it yet. Harmonica probably makes it with his hands, while the author prefers doing it with his tongue... Arrow up means end of lowering. The numbers are numbers of holes in the harmonica. I wish I knew exact terms for it...
Author of notation is Czech harmonica player Tomáš Linka. Many thanks to him, guys!
It seems that you have free hands for varying this theme. I don't have the whole song, sorry.

Cool, thanks for doing me that favor Marmota. Now I just have to learn how to play the harmonica.   Grin

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

Now I just have to learn how to play the harmonica.   Grin

Me too. I already tried it, but I'm terribly lazy. Tongue And it was this theme what made me think harmonica is the coolest instrument on the Earth, so I necessarilly have to play it!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:27:18 PM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 05:49:43 PM »

Me too. I already tried it, but I'm terribly lazy. Tongue And it was this theme what made me think harmonica is the coolest instrument on the Earth, so I necessarilly have to play it!

it's a cool instrument. perfect for sticking in the mouths of your enemies when they're at the point of dying.   Wink

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »

it's a cool instrument. perfect for sticking in the mouths of your enemies when they're at the point of dying.   Wink

Sorry, I haven't seen it yet... It's a shame, I know. Angry Angry Angry

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:42:15 AM »

Buy it, rent it, steal it, but you gotta see this movie: it's Leone's masterpiece!!!! Once you have seen it. let us know your thoughts on OUTIW, ok?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 07:18:53 AM »

Buy it, rent it, steal it, but you gotta see this movie: it's Leone's masterpiece!!!! Once you have seen it. let us know your thoughts on OUTIW, ok?

I'm pretty sure I will love it. Grin
I only have to find good version of it, widescreen, as long as it can be and all that...
And to find time to watch it, because our computer is becoming to be a very desired piece of furniture... I never know when somebody will appear, who has better things to do on it than discussing and wacthing films.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »

Are you serious?

marmota, you don't know what you're missing!!!! It's my favorite film, it's an undeniable masterpiece of cinema.

YOU MUST SEE IT!!!!   Grin

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 12:40:50 PM »

Are you serious?

marmota, you don't know what you're missing!!!! It's my favorite film, it's an undeniable masterpiece of cinema.

YOU MUST SEE IT!!!!   Grin

I want to, believe me!
I found it as SE with two disc on one Czech internet store and told my father that I wanted it for Christmas... Too soon for Christmas, I know. But better than late!
Let's hope I will really get it and then it will be the precious one in my small collection...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »

I want to, believe me!
I found it as SE with two disc on one Czech internet store and told my father that I wanted it for Christmas... Too soon for Christmas, I know. But better than late!
Let's hope I will really get it and then it will be the precious one in my small collection...

You'll like it. if you liked all the other leone films then you'll like this one too.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »

You'll like it. if you liked all the other leone films then you'll like this one too.

I like the four I have seen, though two of them were in horrible quality, and because it seems that all interesting people like this one, I will like it, too. Wink
I already have the soundtrack. I got it for last Christmas, instead of soundtrack of GBU, because father couldn't find that one... but it doesn't matter too much. Smiley

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 01:44:59 PM »

I like the four I have seen, though two of them were in horrible quality, and because it seems that all interesting people like this one, I will like it, too. Wink
I already have the soundtrack. I got it for last Christmas, instead of soundtrack of GBU, because father couldn't find that one... but it doesn't matter too much. Smiley

Hope nobody around the boards has spoiled the ending and plot. It's best to be a surprise.   Wink

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 04:58:12 PM »

Thanks for the notes, Marmot-man.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 02:15:18 AM »

Hope nobody around the boards has spoiled the ending and plot. It's best to be a surprise.   Wink

I won't look at posts in this section except this, don't worry. I know it very well. I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy GBU so much if I had known all before. The best was the surprise. It was the very first Leone's film I have seen and the experience was MARVELLOUS! And it wouldn't have been if I had been expecting something like that...
I think it made me interested in films. I had been more into books before. (And still am a lot.)
I know few things, but it's usual when you watch a film. I knew the basic plot of GBU - but really very basic.

Marmot-man... That's funny. I never thought about it like that. I'm used to Czech version of my nickname.

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 01:57:46 PM »

Marmota, you 'somehow lower' the note by bending it.  The only way I can explain without showing is that when drawing on the note, you change the size of your mouth cavity.  Practice by making the sharp intake of breath noise you make if you (for instance) trap your fingers prior to swearing.  Then without pausing lower the note of the sharp intake of breath. You'll feel your jaw drop a little.  Then stick the harmonica in your mouth and repeat the same action.  It'll take a little time to learn as you'll have to develop the muscles, but only a few days.  The technique is used to great effect in blues harmonica.  Suggested listening; Little Walter,  Sonny Boy Williamson (both of them, there was two!) and Noah Lewis (Cannons Jug Stompers)

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM