Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:49:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  JUST WATCHED DVD!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JUST WATCHED DVD!!!  (Read 3576 times)
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2003, 04:51:08 PM »

Well guys,it arrived this morning,luckily the wife was going out this evening so I was able to watch it the same day!

First of all the picture quality is SUPERB!It's like seeing the film properly for the first time.You can see even more of the incredible detail in the sets!

As for the sound,well,I watched the film mostly with the commentary but I did check out a few scenes.It sounded great,although I don't have surround sound or anything like that so maybe I'm not the best person to comment on that.

What you've probably really been waiting for is ,is it uncut?It is.All the sometimes censored bits i.e. the rape,the 'breast fondling by gun',etc.are there,and so is the final flashback.YES!!!!!

The commentary by Richard Schickel is OK,thouhg not great.He didn't really tell me much about the movie I did not already know,and sometimes jusy describes what is happening on screen.It's still a pleasant listen though,and he does offer some interesting comments on characters,particularly that of Noodles.

Did not time to watch the documentary,but yes it is just a cut-down version of the 'Once Upon A Time' documentary covering the bits about OUATIA.A shame,as I have not seen the documentary in it's full version at all.

I still think the definative DVD release of OUATIA,in terms of extras,is still to come.I for one still want to see the 45 mins. or so of footage that was initially cut-it does exist,acording to Christopher Frayling.

Nevertheless,in terms of a presentation of the actual movie,this DVD is terrific.Get ready to be happy!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 06:12:35 PM »

Wife picked up my copy today at Target, glad to hear it's up to expectations (she said several copies had already been snatched up); however, I still need to watch restored GBU first (anybody digitalize it onto DVD?), hopefuly will watch both this month.

Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 07:41:02 AM »

Jon, and all you guys who have already seen it.
It has been reported that there is a rather messy intermission, around 15 mins in, on disc two. Is this true? If so what did you think of it??
It really is great  to hear that it is uncut.

"What's a Mook?"
Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 11:05:39 AM »

I was so very near buying this, I went to Best Buy and it was on sale for $20 I was going to a mall later and I figured it for be on sale everywhere. I got to a Suncoast Video and they only had 1 copy, hidden in the O's of the Drama section, $26.99!?! Of course they had 20 copies of Biker Boyz (Full Screen version) front and center right as you walk in. Has the world (or at least America) lost it's love for cinema? Modern 'movies' (can't say they're actual films anymore) seems to focus on dumb teenagers who think a piece of tin metal is a status symbol or house-bound soccer moms who have absolutely nil patience to think during 'entertainment', "it's just a stupid movie anyways, right?"  Undecided

excuse the rant  Grin

« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 11:15:27 AM by Jayson Kennedy » Logged

(one of) moderator: www.dvdaficionado.com
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »

Jon, and all you guys who have already seen it.
It has been reported that there is a rather messy intermission, around 15 mins in, on disc two. Is this true? If so what did you think of it??
It really is great  to hear that it is uncut.

There is indeed an intermission about 15-20 mins. in on the second disc,I think this was where the original intermission in the cinema was,although I'm not sure why this is on the DVD,because none of the video or TV prints I haveseen have this.

I'm not sure why the first disc could not have ended at this point,it would have been perfect.Instead it ends almost exactly half way through the film VERY ABRUPTLY,and ofcourse now there are two breaks in the film becuase the intermission is later.

The intermission is a bit annoying but it is only about 5 or 6 seconds long and atleast you can now hear the end of the music cue which was cut off previously.

A slight flaw on the DVD yes,but not too annoying IMO.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 01:00:43 PM »

Jayson, the wife got mine at Target Tuesday for $17.99 USD; it was in their Sunday flyer, but I don't know if that was a "sale" or regular price, note that lots of stuff in those ads these days are not sale prices.  

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 03:22:51 AM »

. Has the world (or at least America) lost it's love for cinema? Modern 'movies' (can't say they're actual films anymore) seems to focus on dumb teenagers who think a piece of tin metal is a status symbol or house-bound soccer moms who have absolutely nil patience to think during 'entertainment', "it's just a stupid movie anyways, right?"  Undecided

excuse the rant  Grin

Don't be so sad there are 233 guys on this website loving quality movies ! I agree with you, looking DVD's catalogues is often boring :98% of the offering is pure shit.
But kids will become soon older and smarter (I hope so)

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM