Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 09:21:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Mission
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mission  (Read 2840 times)
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2003, 08:56:29 PM »

I got this on dvd the other day. First of all i have got the soundtrack by morricone and lets face it, the man's a genius. I love Robert De Niro as an actor (nothin more) and i had heard good reviews about the film.
So imagine my surprise when i watched it and realised it's quite possibly the worst film ever made, utter garbage.
The director has all these tools, morricone, de niro, etc and it's just two hours of boredom, shite.
No doubt a lot of people will disagree, but thats what we're hear for. Any comments?

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 07:51:27 AM »

Argee 100%

I wrote this a few weeks back on another board:

Well, I just viewed it for the first time. I was first attracted to seeing it's Morricone score and DeNiro and Irons being in the cast. After looking back on it, it has the mindset of an 'epic' but the mere 2 hour timeset takes it's legs out almost completely. It quickly rips into the story and for the first 45 minutes the story seems to be running a race to get to a certain point, then it just plods from point-to-point taking it's good old time. Whole chunks of potentially character building backstory is non-existent. (possible spoilers) In the beginning, you know DeNiro's character is a slave handler/trader and by the way Irons refers to him, they have a past but it isn't explored in the slightest. Deniro then returns, finds out his lover is an love with another man, and seemingly that very night he kills both of them (his hidden rage isn't clearly defined). The very next scene we see DeNiro in jail and Irons comes to him asks him to join him at his mission. Then we see Irons and his clan travelling the mountainous terrain while DeNiro drags a heavy sack of armor behind them as petance for his sins. They reach they're destination and as quickly as you can snap your fingers DeNiro finds pure peace at the mission...only 45 minutes in.

Then the film begins to drag as slowly as molasses, but with the lack of character backstory and certain details not fully explored, the climax fails to be emotionally powerful, The cover of the DVD itself is more so.  

« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 07:53:14 AM by Jayson Kennedy » Logged

(one of) moderator: www.dvdaficionado.com
Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 04:45:10 PM »

Sure it had it's problems, but worst film of all time! A bit extreme don't you think?
I last saw The Mission at the cinema on it's release back in 1986 so I'm a bit rusty. I remember it as being a beautifully photographed, thought provoking, historic epic. True, some character development was poor, and to a point, emotional involvement. (Except maybe for that scene where De Niro starts to cry as he finishes his penance and all the kids laugh at him.)
I still think to this day that the major problem with The Mission was De Niro. He was totally miscast for the role of Mendoza. His performance was lazy, dull, bland and uninteresting. Maybe it was the set script, or maybe his first experience with an English director. I don't know. Even producer David Puttnam later admitted that he thought De Niro was wrong for the role.
And i'll leave you with something else he said while making the movie:

"The Mission is a Clint Eastwood version of Beckett"

Ummm!!!

"What's a Mook?"
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:13:53 AM »

Sure it had it's problems, but worst film of all time! A bit extreme don't you think?

Definitely.

There's no accounting for taste, and some films simply can't be loved by everyone.  For my part, I found The Mission to be a tremendously affecting piece of work, well-constructed on every level and worth every minute I spent watching (and re-watching) it.

As you say, the film has flaws -- and what film doesn't, really? -- but that's not enough to brand it as garbage.  It's simply not for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »

Beautiful Morricone score, Irons and De Niro are always good. Very sad film, but great.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »

I was disappointed by this film as well... but maybe I would like it better if I watched it for second time. I think this is what happens when you expect a lot from a film. It can never be exactly what you expected... with the exception of OUATITW. Grin

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:32:21 PM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »

I own this film. I've always loved De Niro's performance and Ennio's Brilliant score. The film does drag in spots but overall I was satisfied.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »

Well, this movie really let me down. Lots of things to entice one to see it: De Niro and Irons, Morricone's score, screenplay by Robert Bolt! Well, I didn't like the slow pace, as already mentioned - the film doesn't really pick up until the second half - and De Niro gives one of his weakest performances. I think the climactic battle/massacre is very well-done, the music is excellent, cinematography is gorgeous, and Jeremy Irons is fabulous. But it still fars well shy of being a great movie, which by all rights it should have been.

I have The Bounty coming soon, hopefully today, from Netflix, so I'll have almost completed the film works of Robert Bolt. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM