Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 04:19:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nevada Smith (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nevada Smith (1966)  (Read 8585 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 05:41:11 PM »

This movie -- which I'd give a 7.8/10 -- was mostly very enjoyable, but very frustrating as well during the many times where characters acted in ways that are TOTALLY unrealistic

SPOILER ALERT:

e) the ending is ridiculous. After all the time searching for Malden, McQueen doesn't kill him? Cuz of what the priest said? puhleeez.

Duuuuuuuuuuude that's the point.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »

Duuuuuuuuuuude that's the point.

I know it's the point, but it's a stupid point. The "repentance at the end and walking away from the revenge that was driving the story" is an uninteresting point to me.
Just as getting forgiveness at the end, like the "Frankie, your mother forgives me!" end is uninteresting in The Informer. A protagonist getting religion or forgiveness or morality at the end of story is just not something I give a damn about in a movie.

With that being said, as I mentioned, I actually (perversely) did enjoy the end of Nevada Smith, because McQueen's supposedly getting religion actually leads to a much crueler fate for Malden. Whether that was intended or not, I don't know nor do I care. But I greatly enjoy how now, Malden will die a very slow and painful death or live a long life as a cripple. And all because McQueen got religion at the end. Wonderfully profane. So yeah, in this case, as it turns out, I guess I am happy that the main character gets religion at just the right moment  Wink

My other criticisms of the movie from that post from three years ago, I agree with almost all of them

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:52:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

A protagonist getting religion or forgiveness or morality at the end of story is just not something I give a damn about in a movie.
I'm glad to see you're finally admitting that the ending of Ace in the Hole is complete shite. And because of it, the whole film is ruined. Billy Wilder was a great director--except when he wasn't.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

Staying with Nevada Smith: plot line not altogether different than Death Rides a Horse.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »

I'm glad to see you're finally admitting that the ending of Ace in the Hole is complete shite. And because of it, the whole film is ruined. Billy Wilder was a great director--except when he wasn't.

Wilder was a great director, period.

Douglas having regrets is not interesting, but that is redeemed (so to speak  Wink) with a great final line  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »

Staying with Nevada Smith: plot line not altogether different than Death Rides a Horse.

The ending seems more like Angel and the Badman.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »

Wilder was a great director, period.
Why would a great director direct bad films? It seems to me he could have only been a great director when he directed good films, not when he directed bad ones. Ergo, he was a great director when directing, say, Double Indemnity, and a bad one when directing Fedora (or One, Two, Three, or The Major and the Minor). On Ace in the Hole he was a middling director.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »

But when One, Two, Three is in fact one if his best, what does this say Drink about Wilder?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »

Nothing, because Drink does not watch comedies (even unfunny ones).

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »

Which does not answer my question.

But if Drink wants to avoid unfunny comedies he should not not watch One, Two, Three.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »

That is correct, DJ. I don't watch comedies so I can't comment on those. On dramas, Wilder was one of the greatest. Even on comedies, he directed what many consider to be the greatest comedy ever made (SOME LIKE IT HOT), and another highly acclaimed one, THE APARTMENT. In fact, there are few directors who have made as many great films as Wilder. I am sure he made some that aren't great (though I haven't seen those), but so has almost every other director who has made a decent number of films, includinfg Hitchcock and Ford. (I don't think Leone ever made a bad film, but he made very few films.) If you judge a director by his bad movies, almost every director has some of those. But if you judge a director by his good movies (or by the percentage of movies he made that were good) Wilder is up there with the all-time greats IMO.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:02:40 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 02:53:45 AM »

I don't like Wilder's films that much, so I count him to the overrated directors. His non-comedies are a bit too preachy, too much the type of Hollywood "problem" films. And most of his films go on too long, and have generally too much dialogue in them.

His best are then the ones which are quick and brisk. Some like It Hot and One, Two, Three. A Foreign Affair is another one I always enjoy. But most of his films are at least entertaining and watchable.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »

Sunsent Blvd. and Double Indemnity are PREACHY?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »

Double Indemnity not, but it's still not a great film for me.

Sunset Boulevard has an off voice commentary which describes too often what I already see on the screen.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »

What does Sunset Blvd. preach, exactly?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM