Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 22, 2020, 09:14:56 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nevada Smith (1966)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: Nevada Smith (1966)  ( 13365 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #45 : January 09, 2020, 02:15:50 PM »

You're right I never believed he was a kid. The only other possible explanation could be the old West usage of "Kid." As in Billy The Kid or Kid Curry, they weren't thought of as kids the way its usage has evolved today. "Kid" wasn't derogatory back then.

Didn't Van Cleef call Eastwood "boy" in For a Few Dollars More?  And call JP Law "boy" in Death Rides a Horse?

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #46 : January 14, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »

As some may know, I'm a huge McQueen fan ('co-authored a book on him too), but the only
solution would have been to slightly re-write the script. He is 35, playing a 17-19 year old 'kid'.
Yet I think he does it very nicely, he always stayed young in his heart (growing up without a family,
without love). For instance the toys in his last film THE HUNTER (he had a big toy collection).
But the film constantly reminds us that he is "just a boy", which doesn't help the (too episodic)
film at all. (even in THE BLOB, 8 years earlier, he was, obviousely, too old).

But besides that it's a very fine solid US western. Nothing bad about that...

" Just a boy"

Heh.Heh:)

Wonder how audiences at the time reacted?

« : January 14, 2020, 08:47:23 PM uncknown »

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #47 : January 15, 2020, 03:24:28 AM »

Few critics commented on it, but I doubt it made a big difference to audiences. Back then
the youth culture movement (& market) just started and 22-year old men were regarded as "kids"
by the old folks...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #48 : January 15, 2020, 03:45:47 AM »

" Just a boy"

Heh.Heh:)

Wonder how audiences at the time reacted?

I saw it at a theater in Albany at 13 with my cousin when it came out, we didn't question it then at all.

« : January 15, 2020, 03:47:39 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #49 : January 15, 2020, 04:43:26 AM »

It's not much of a problem for the film.
At least all the other men are looking obviously much older, so calling him Kid seems right. Actually "kid" refers for me less to his age, but to his greenness.

In Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid it is for me neither a problem, that Kristofferson looks much older than the real Billy ever was.

There are in the end hundreds of films in which the actors are too old for their roles, without much hurting the films.

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #50 : January 15, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »

It's not much of a problem for the film.
At least all the other men are looking obviously much older, so calling him Kid seems right. Actually "kid" refers for me less to his age, but to his greenness.

In Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid it is for me neither a problem, that Kristofferson looks much older than the real Billy ever was.

There are in the end hundreds of films in which the actors are too old for their roles, without much hurting the films.

Yeah, some folks here were bothered by Kristoffers, but not me.
In that case the actor had the appearance of a much younger man. Plus, the historical accuracy wasn't that important to me.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #51 : January 15, 2020, 03:52:01 PM »

I like Michael J. Pollard as Billy in Dirty Little Billy (1972)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #52 : January 16, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »

I've never watched this in its entirety mostly because the runtime is north of 2 hours. Would any of you recommend me giving this a shot knowing that I often find the pacing in Hathaway movies to be incredibly problematic? I also usually can't stand movies with episodic plots where nothing is streamlined ie Cemetery Man.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #53 : January 16, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »

I've never watched this in its entirety mostly because the runtime is north of 2 hours. Would any of you recommend me giving this a shot knowing that I often find the pacing in Hathaway movies to be incredibly problematic? I also usually can't stand movies with episodic plots where nothing is streamlined ie Cemetery Man.

It does have sequences that drag on too long if that helps.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #54 : January 16, 2020, 11:16:06 PM »

It does have sequences that drag on too long if that helps.
Thanks brother. Even when I enjoy Hathaway's stuff I find the pacing to be way off -- Garden of Evil. Maybe if I stumble into this I'll watch it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #55 : January 17, 2020, 03:54:18 AM »

Thanks brother. Even when I enjoy Hathaway's stuff I find the pacing to be way off -- Garden of Evil. Maybe if I stumble into this I'll watch it.

If you get Turner Classic Movies on cable, they play it a few times a year it seems.

: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines