Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:58:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nevada Smith (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nevada Smith (1966)  (Read 8587 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2006, 06:09:06 AM »

Just got me the dvd (the usual 3 euros) and currently watching it (I am sure I saw it already on tv but can't remember a single scene). It is a movie that couldn't have been done any better, by Hollywood standards, were it not that, at the same time, on the other side of the Atlantic somebody was doing the real thing. And, unfortunately, if you are a regular in this board you can't help thinking about it.
First thing one notices is the fact that McQueen doesn't fit his character as he's too old for it. One thinks also that's the reason why there are no close-ups. then you realize that Hathaway just doesn't adopt close-ups.
And then you wonder how, after having been wounded and taken among the Indians McQueen is clean-shaven.  And the whores? All spic and span, not an hair out of place. Also, you wonder where you heard already the score: original, but  good for the Mann westerns of the previous decade. In fact this is one of the best westerns of the '50's.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:12:36 AM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:00:04 AM »

The whole Louisiana prison episode is superfluous and stupid. Looks almost like a rehearsal for Papillon. No way to believe one can decide to spend 2 years in a hell like that just to catch one who is faring much worse than if he were caught by McQueen.
One good thing of the movie is the girls, the indian and the "spanish"   (Suzanne Pleshette: can't remember this moment where else I saw her, but she's gorgeous!): I like their sixties make-up.
And in the end the final episode is repetitive, the convent intermezzo tiresome (if one wants to be gentle) and the fact that Malden, once he discovers McQueen's identity, doesn't get rid of him at once having the chance to do is implausible.
But the final scene is masterful, Malden's voice is spectacular: the best thing (and he did many) this great actor ever did. I also like the sound of the guns and the fact that no explanation on Malden's pouch is asked by McQueen.
But (and here I leave the word to the experts)  can somebody explain why McQueen wears the holster on the right side and shoots with the left? 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:02:31 AM »

If his right arm was wounded I didn't notice.

Tim
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »

Where to start, where to start, so many questions, Titoli.  First, he fires with his left hand because he can.  Jonas Cord (great performance by Brian Keith) teaches him to shoot with both hands.  Of course, this might just be McQueen being McQueen, bringing a little something else to the role.

Second, the only other thing I've seen Suzanne Pleschette in is The Bob Newhart Show, as Bob's wife Emily.  Agreed though, she was a hottie.

And lastly, wasn't Nevada Smith made in the 60s?  1966 I believe.  But all in all, a great movie although like ya said McQueen doesn't look young enough for the part or half-breed.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:53:08 PM »

You're right Tim, Nevada Smith was made in the 60's, but it looks like a 50's Anthony Mann western. Nothing wrong with Mann's work, I loved the Man From Laramie, but it is too Hollywood. Nothing even close to what Leone and Peckinpah would make a decade later.

But I liked Nevada Smith. It's not one my favorites and it is not a great film, but it is enjoyable. And any movie with Steve McQueen has to be at least average.  Roll Eyes

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »

One cool little sequence was where Cord berates McQueen for not picking up the empty cartridges, you don't ever see that in a Western. Those were easily reloadable (if they weren't rimfire) and could be hard to come by.

Yea it was a cool Western at the time it was made.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »

I.e. the same year of "Il buono , il brutto, il cattivo".

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 05:05:45 PM »

(Suzanne Pleshette: can't remember this moment where else I saw her, but she's gorgeous!):
Part of the love triangle which includes Rod Taylor and "Tippi" Hedren in The Birds.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »

Actually I can't remember her in that film (can't say is one of my favourite Hitchcocks). I surveyed her filmography at IMDb and nothing comes to mind. Still I am sure I had spotted her in some relevant role in a movie. Bah.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »

I like Nevada Smith also. Yes, it does have its faults, but its still good. Brian Keith is always good and I wish he had another scene or 2.
Pleshette was beautiful to watch and Malden's screaming out "you yella.....you ain't got the guts" is rememerable.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »

The movie is the classic tale of revenge in which the protagonist (McQueen) hunts the ones who killed his father and mother. I liked it, but perhaps it would have been more enjoyable had it been around 20-30 minutes shorter. Nice score from Alfred Newman.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

This movie -- which I'd give a 7.8/10 -- was mostly very enjoyable, but very frustrating as well during the many times where characters acted in ways that are TOTALLY unrealistic

SPOILER ALERT:

a) opening scene of movie: the 3 bandits know they are about to kill McQueen's parents, know he has seen them, yet don't kill him? Ridiculous. I know he has to stay alive cuz it's the beginning of the movie, but I immediately rolled my eyes at that

b) then, instead of proceeding normally to his parents' house, they start riding hard and shooting wildly, tipping off McQueen that they are about to kill his parents. Really?

c) the whole episode (and that is what this movie is; a bunch of episodes) with the priest is the one episode that was ridiculous and should have been cut (though it may have been necessary to explain the ridiculous ending)

d) Would Malden risk bringing along McQueen -- whom he knows is Max -- on such a huge payday? Wtf for? Why  not just finish him off before the robbery?

e) the ending is ridiculous. After all the time searching for Malden, McQueen doesn't kill him? Cuz of what the priest said? puhleeez.

Other than these very frustrating points, it is in many ways a beautiful movie. The El Dorado set is terrific (though I wish they hadn't insulted us by using that same set for the scene where McQueen ropes and beats one of Malden's gang, which is not supposed to take place in El Doradao). And the landscapes, particularly from the El Dorado set till the end of the movie, are great.

Interesting also, in that the film is very unsentimental: McQueen just rides away.
 You're expecting him at some point to go back and give Jonas a big thank you and the big kiss to Neesa, but none of that. He never does go back to see Neesa (played by a gorgeous Janet Margolin), never goes back to thank Jonas Cord. Will he? Who knows. But there is little sentimentality here.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:39:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »

The whole Louisiana prison episode is superfluous and stupid. Looks almost like a rehearsal for Papillon. No way to believe one can decide to spend 2 years in a hell like that just to catch one who is faring much worse than if he were caught by McQueen.

I am not sure whether or not it's realistic that McQueen would put himself in prison just to get revenge, but other tha that question of the realism, I think that episode works well. But I was totally thinking the same as you were: is this a rehearsal for PapillonWink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »

have you seen Truffaut's "The Bride Wore Black?" At the end of that movie, SPOILERS, Jeanne Moreau puts herself in prison just so she can kill a man who is in prison whom she wants to take revenge on for having caused the death of her fiance. The point (of both movies) is that these characters are so consumed by revenge, that is their whole raison d'etre, they don't care about themselves anymore, only about revenge.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »

This movie -- which I'd say is a 7.8/10 -- was mostly very enjoyable, but very frustrating as well during the many times where characters acted in ways that are TOTALLY unrealistic

SPOILER ALERT:

a) opening scene of movie: the 3 bandits know they are about to kill McQueen's parents, know he has seen them, yet don't kill him? Ridiculous. I know he has to stay alive cuz it's the beginning of the movie, but I immediately rolled my eyes at that

b) then, instead of proceeding normally to his parents' house, they start riding hard and shooting wildly, tipping off McQueen that they are about to kill his parents. Really?

c) the whole episode (and that is what this movie is; a bunch of episodes) with the priest is the one episode that was ridiculous and should have been cut (though it may have been necessary to explain the ridiculous ending)

d) Would Malden risk bringing along McQueen -- whom he knows is Max -- on such a huge payday? Wtf for? Why  not just finish him off before the robbery?

e) the ending is ridiculous. After all the time searching for Malden, McQueen doesn't kill him? Cuz of what the priest said? puhleeez.

Other than these very frustrating points, it is in many ways a beautiful movie. The El Dorado set is terrific (though I wish they hadn't insulted us by using that same set for the scene where McQueen ropes and beats one of Malden's gang, which is not supposed to take place in El Doradao). And the landscapes, particularly from the El Dorado set till the end of the movie, are great.

Interesting also, in that the film is very unsentimental: McQueen just rides away.
 You're expecting him at some point to go back and give Jonas a big thank you and the big kiss to Neesa, but none of that. He never does go back to see Neesa (played by a gorgeous Janet Margolin), never goes back to thank Jonas Cord. Will he? Who knows. But there is little sentimentality here.

I just saw the movie again, and re-read my review above, written more than 3 years ago, and I actually agree with just about everything I said in that review, though I'd rate it a little lower. I'd give it a 7/10. (years ago I used to rate by tenth of a point, so I gave it a 7.8/10, which is the equivalent today of a 7.5 or 8/10 ... but I'm still going a little lower. I give it a 7/10).

This movie is a bunch of episodes, some enjoyable, some not. The only one that is really awful is the one with the priest. (Now, I think it is BETTER that McQueen didn't actually give the final blow to Malden much better to shoot him in five different places and die a slow and painful death, or live as a cripple. Refusing to put the final fatal shot into Malden is not an act of repentance for me; it is an act of the most extreme cruelty, which I love, considering what Malden & Co. were guilty of  Grin )

McQueen isn't as good as usual here, perhaps cuz he is playing a very different character than usual. Btw, it seems to me, not just in this movie but in others as well, McQueen has a weird way of talking, somehow I get the feeling that he must have often post-dubbed his dialogue. I have no idea if this is true but it seems to me like sometimes he is speaking too close to the mic, or his words don't convey the same emotion the scene warrants, I am not sure, maybe that is just how he spoke, but to me it seems there is something weird in the way he speaks, and/or maybe he post-dubbed lots of dialogue.

To me, the really amazing performance in this movie is by Brian Keith. He was terrific.

The movie is incredibly beautiful to look at, some of these locations are absolutely breathtaking; they did a good job in that regard, and with the music. There are quite a few shots that don't seem to be matched well color in one shot is bright, and in the next shot is dark, etc. seems to my untrained eyes that this happens a few times. But when that wasn't happening, this movie is very pretty to look at, which is probably its greatest asset, with beautiful landscapes and a marvelous set toward the end, the town of El Dorado. And the performance by Keith.

7/10

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:44:03 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM