Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:15:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Winchester '73 (1950)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winchester '73 (1950)  (Read 13106 times)
Tim
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 10:39:04 AM »

Then you need to watch it again. Shelley Winters under water is an amazing image.

Are we talking about Poseidon Adventure?  I'll qualify that scene as interesting to watch.  Team player, that Shelley Winters, taking one for the team.   Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2006, 11:34:54 AM »

Nah, I'm talking about Night of the Hunter, and the impecable camera work by Stanley Cortez.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 04:31:01 PM »

Let me be fastidiously honest here:

I have only seen three of Mann's films, so I can't say I'm an expert on him.  But I haven't really been impressed with any of them.

"Winchester '73" and "The Tin Star" were decent films that I've only been able to watch once or twice, they have some interesting elements but don't add up to a great deal.  Other than the star power of James Stewart in the former and the guy in my avatar in the latter, there's no reason I think to watch them repeatedly.

"The Naked Spur" was somewhat better but was too preachy IMO.  Robert Ryan's performance - well, I dunno.  I think he's a little too over-the-top at times, but overall he's very good.  I've never really cared much for Janet Leigh so I can't say I was crazy to see her here.

I don't have any specific complaints about any of these films, they just rub me the wrong way.  However, I'll keep an eye out for "The Man From Laramie" and "Bend of the River".

Saturday nights with Groggy
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 05:19:10 AM »

I have only seen three of Mann's films,  .  However, I'll keep an eye out for "The Man From Laramie" and "Bend of the River".

One of my favorite Mann-Stewart (& Pie, of course) Westerns...& a very undeservedly underrated one at that...is "The  Far Country (1955).
Really worth watching..w/ a very good cast..including Walter Brennan..& John McIntyre...spectacular scenery...Highly recommended.
Be watchiing as it plays on TCM---> Aug 25, 2:45PM

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 08:26:38 AM »

Let me be fastidiously honest here:

I have only seen three of Mann's films, so I can't say I'm an expert on him.  But I haven't really been impressed with any of them.
Once again, Groggy, I see our tastes are amazingly close. However, I like Winchester '73 a lot, mostly because it is highly episodic and keeps things moving around. It's like 10 Westerns in one.

I've seen The Naked Spur only once. I was hoping to re-visit it on the new DVD release, but evidently the transfer of the non-restored image leaves a lot to be desired, so I guess I'll wait. Anyway, I did not like the film when I saw it, for the very reasons you cite. I also am annoyed by single-situation films; that's the kind of thing I can get on TV.

The Man From Laramie is a bust, predictable and predictably stupid. Bend of the River, on the other hand, has much to recommend it. Especially good is the friendship-rivalry between Stewart and Arthur Kennedy; both characters have similar backgrounds, and it is interesting, when presented with similar choices, to see the different ways they react. The film makes one mistake, however: after Kennedy betrays Stewart, the action stays with Kennedy. It would have been much, much better to stay with Stewart. After all, he's been left to die on Mt. Hood by Kennedy; it is quite a challenge for Stewart to come back from such a defeat and enact his revenge, and we should have been treated to every excruciating detail of the trial.

The Far Country has always left me (heh, heh) cold. I was disappointed by Man of the West, but I'd very much like to see it again. My expectations may have been too high, and perhaps I'll be able to appreciate it better the second time.

Mann's best Western is probably El Cid, which, although set in 10th Century Spain, is a classic of the genre.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 10:37:25 AM »

The only fault I found with this film is the portrayal of Wyatt Earp, they have miscast him as a grandfatherly type when in actuality in 1873,  he would have been quite young. The gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone wasn't until 1881.

I find the portayal of Earp by Stewart in Cheyanne Autumn a little off also. I love Stewart but it's just how I don't imagine Earp to have been.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 10:47:56 AM »

I've seen The Naked Spur only once. I was hoping to re-visit it on the new DVD release, but evidently the transfer of the non-restored image leaves a lot to be desired, so I guess I'll wait. Anyway, I did not like the film when I saw it, for the very reasons you cite. I also am annoyed by single-situation films; that's the kind of thing I can get on TV.

I'm getting the Jimmy Stewart set for my birthday, I'll happily double double dip for another better edition of Naked Spur if it comes along (HD me thinks)

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 04:40:55 PM »

I'm getting the Jimmy Stewart set for my birthday, I'll happily double double dip for another better edition of Naked Spur if it comes along (HD me thinks)

I guess I'm the only one around here who didn't like The Naked Spur.   Grin

It was...okay. But I think, like Groggy said earlier, it's way too preachy. It wasn't bad though. The scene when Stewart wakes up screaming was pretty cool.

Hey LA, did you see all the Stewart/Mann collaborations? The only one I didn't see is The Far Country ( sorry Boardwalk Angel  Grin ).

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »

Yep, I own all the Stewart - Mann westerns, also own an original daybill (poster) For The Far Country which has a wonderful painted likeness of Stewart. 

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 04:57:15 PM »

Yep, I own all the Stewart - Mann westerns, also own an original daybill (poster) For The Far Country which has a wonderful painted likeness of Stewart. 

I still can't decide if I like Winchester '73 or The Man from Laramie more.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 05:03:25 PM »

I'm going for Winchester, though I do really like Laramie. Have you tried 7 men? The Boetticher western?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »

I'm going for Winchester, though I do really like Laramie. Have you tried 7 men? The Boetticher western?

7 Men? Never heard of it. I must look out for it.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

Well the full title is 7 men from now and it stars Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin, a wonderful film

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 05:17:13 PM »

Well the full title is 7 men from now and it stars Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin, a wonderful film

Oh yeah! I saw that DVD cover.

Tim
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 02:02:08 PM »

Seven Men from Now was really good.  Randolph Scott is perfectly cast, and Lee Marvin is great in a role where you never really know which side he's on.  Definitely worth a watch.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM