Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:29:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Winchester '73 (1950)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winchester '73 (1950)  (Read 13514 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:17:49 PM »

Just telling everyone who has TCM that Winchester '73 goes on in another 20 minutes. Anyone seen it before? It's a great western.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:11:09 AM by Banjo » Logged

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »

I saw it another time when it was on TCM. It really is great, Peace is not kidding.

And, if you need more incentive, it has Jimmy Stewart. I love Jimmy, especially in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Vertigo.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:58:35 PM »

Vertigo... a real masterpiece. Best movie by Hitchcock IMO, which means that is is REALLY a huge movie Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »

Vertigo... a real masterpiece. Best movie by Hitchcock IMO, which means that is is REALLY a huge movie Smiley

I know, man! It's awesome. It and North by Northwest are my favorite Hitchcocks.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Jimmy also. Vertigo is a true masterpiece, Winchester 73 is a great film (and the transfer on the Universal DVD ain't too bad either). Anyone thinking of getting the Jimmy Stewart Signature Collection boxset, news is that the Picture on the excellent Naked Spur isn't too hot.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 04:37:29 PM »

I know, man! It's awesome. It and North by Northwest are my favorite Hitchcocks.

North by Northwest could have reached the same level as vertigo if only the ending was as good as the rest of the movie... But I don't really like the final sequence in the montains... The rest of the movie is, of course, just PERFFECT Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
Tim
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »

I'd seen bits and pieces of Winchester '73 on AMC before, but today was the first time I caught the whole movie.  I was VERY impressed.  Stewart was excellent as always.  And I was surprised to see three young faces, Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, and James Best (briefly).

This qualifies as a western with some of the coolest character names; Lin McAdams, Waco Johnny Dean, Dutch Henry Brown, High Spade, Latigo.  How can you not love a movie with such cool names?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 06:29:08 PM »

This qualifies as a western with some of the coolest character names; Lin McAdams, Waco Johnny Dean, Dutch Henry Brown, High Spade, Latigo.  How can you not love a movie with such cool names?

Exactly! That's what I thought. Dutch Henry Brown...that name is so freakin' cool! And his character is one of the coolest bad guys in a western. He's really evil, he's got a whole operation going with a lot of people, and he just looks like a bad guy.

And the part near the end where jimmy Stewart was willing to break Waco's neck to find out where his brother is was so awesome!

Tim
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:31:40 PM »

I thought from the time Lin and High Spade entered the saloon to the end was one of the better western endings I've seen in awhile.  And Dutch Henry was such a good bad guy.  You just loved to hate him.  And did that saloon look like the one early in Vera Cruz, or was it just me?

Also good to see JW regular Chuck Roberson as Long Tom, one of Dutch's men, in a very early role.

Tim
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »

Check out this thread from imdb about McAdam's Winchester being cursed.  I didn't think of it that way while watching, but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.   Smiley

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043137/board/thread/41150290?d=41150290#41150290

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:18 PM »

Check out this thread from imdb about McAdam's Winchester being cursed.  I didn't think of it that way while watching, but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.   Smiley

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043137/board/thread/41150290?d=41150290#41150290

Wow...I never saw it that way either.

It makes a lot of sense, though.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 03:17:12 PM »

North by Northwest could have reached the same level as vertigo if only the ending was as good as the rest of the movie... But I don't really like the final sequence in the montains... The rest of the movie is, of course, just PERFFECT Smiley

Yeah. Maybe it would've been better if we was actually able to film on Mount Rushmore instead of on a set. But I doubt that would've made TOO much of a difference.

Anyways, what do you think about Psycho? I thought it was pretty darn good.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 03:55:47 PM »

This is one of those classic movies that I liked but wasn't impressed by.  If you ask me to watch an Anthony Mann Western, I'll take "The Naked Spur" any day.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

I own an original poster for the Mann western The Far Country.  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »

Yeah. Maybe it would've been better if we was actually able to film on Mount Rushmore instead of on a set. But I doubt that would've made TOO much of a difference.

Anyways, what do you think about Psycho? I thought it was pretty darn good.

Well, that was damn good, that was as good as you can do with an "horror movie" i think... couldn't have been better. everything is perfect. the only reason why it doesn't reach vertigo and north by nrothwest for me is that it IS an horror movie... Not as entertaining as North by northwest, not as amibiguous as vertigo... Well, it is only because i am not fond of this kind of movies...  However, even without talking of the famosu scenes of this movie, i'll never forget the girl at the begining, driving in the night, with this music...

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM