Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:16:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Winchester '73 (1950)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winchester '73 (1950)  (Read 13301 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 04:42:07 PM »

When it comes to the Stewart/Mann westerns, I'll take The Man from Laramie.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 04:46:19 PM »

Another great Mann western, I'll have to go through my collection and see how many of them I own.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:45 PM »

Another great Mann western, I'll have to go through my collection and see how many of them I own.

You saw Winchester '73 right?

I take that as my second favorite...and Bend of the River as my third.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 04:53:46 PM »

Oh yeah, I own Winchester, Bend Of The River, The Far Country and The Man From Laramie

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 04:55:49 PM »

Oh yeah, I own Winchester, Bend Of The River, The Far Country and The Man From Laramie

I only saw parts of The Far Country. I never took the time to sit down and watch it all the way through. But I've seen all the other Stewart/Mann westerns.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »

Got me the dvd and watched it for the 3d time (1st in english). If there is a single element which doesn't work with this flick I wasn't able to spot it. The storyline is simple but not trivial, the single incidents got you fairly hooked. This is a choral movie, with no lead character (if you don't count the rifle) and every single actor is perfect. But Dan Dureya and Shelley Winters (and actress who, though very competent, I could never stand on screen because of her ugliness) are memorable: their repartees are the best things of the movie. As everyone knows I can't stand Indians in westerns. Still here their presence is faultless, probably because it is short. And well before the so-called revisionist movies here the chief tells it all about the way the white men treat them in a few sentencens. They are treated, I'd say, fairly. And a western which has Indians and women and carries them as no burden must be something special.

I'll watch the movie again soon because of the comment of James Stewart: a circumstance that by itself should grant the buying oi it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »

The trailer has at least a different angle of a scene, that in the barroom with Dureya and Stewart.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »

The only fault I found with this film is the portrayal of Wyatt Earp, they have miscast him as a grandfatherly type when in actuality in 1873,  he would have been quite young. The gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone wasn't until 1881.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 02:55:56 AM »

This is one of those cases one can say:"Blessed ignorance"! Had I even remembered the exact dates, I would have liked anyway Geer's portrayal of him, apparently so unharmful and with that strange voice.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 09:14:54 AM »

Shelley Winters (and actress who, though very competent, I could never stand on screen because of her ugliness)
Night of the Hunter?

Anyway, I don't disagree with you about Winchester '73. Great cast (did you notice Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis in amongst the rest?), great story, in fact, an epic quest with Excalibur turned into a rifle. Well-paced, too: things just keep moving along.

I particularly enjoy Stephen McNally's performance, who usually plays such a nice guy.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tim
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »

The only fault I found with this film is the portrayal of Wyatt Earp, they have miscast him as a grandfatherly type when in actuality in 1873,  he would have been quite young. The gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone wasn't until 1881.

It feels like the only reason this characterization was used was for that one scene, just for that surprise that Wyatt Earp is this friendly, older man who can't even find his badge.  I was genuinely surprised just because I've got a very different mental picture/idea of what Earp was like.  Other than this miscasting, great movie

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 10:48:04 AM »

Dear DJ, we had already ample proof that our tastes in women widely differ. But Shelley Winters! Come on, man! She's an impeccable actress, I'd say one of the best: but I wouldn't have touched her with a 12 ft. cane!
In W73 she's still vaguely femalish, though unattractive. In the following years she was going to be  permanently entrenched this side of puke.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »

Dear DJ, we had already ample proof that our tastes in women widely differ. But Shelley Winters! Come on, man! She's an impeccable actress, I'd say one of the best: but I wouldn't have touched her with a 12 ft. cane!
In W73 she's still vaguely femalish, though unattractive. In the following years she was going to be  permanently entrenched this side of puke.

Actually, I'll go for just about anything in a skirt, but that's neither here nor there. No, I don't particularly fancy Ms. Winters, I was responding to your comment about not being able to stand her on screen in other cases. But in Night of the Hunter she is perfectly cast. I can't imagine any other actress working so well in the part (and she wasn't yet at her hideously ugly stage (just slightly ugly)).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 11:29:11 AM »

I can't remember her at all in the Laughton's movie. Actually I didn't rememeber her even in W73. As an actress, I confirm, she's impeccable. The problem is I don't fancy watching her on the screen, especially when playing the part of a supposedly attractive, even moderately, woman. That's all.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 09:16:31 AM »

I can't remember her at all in the Laughton's movie.
Then you need to watch it again. Shelley Winters under water is an amazing image.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM