Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:57:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Trivia Games (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Clint The Singer????
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint The Singer????  (Read 11212 times)
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:55:14 PM »

Can anyone recall in which western film Clint Eastwood actually sings (and not too badly)?

If you are stumped, choose song No. 9 from the track list at the following link:

http://btobmusic.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&btob=Y&bnit=H%20H%20H%H&EAN=76741709922&I

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:05:47 PM by geoman-1 » Logged
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »

don't know in which western but i know that he sings
in "honkytonk man" and in "every which way but loose"

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 06:33:12 AM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:45:04 PM »

Had already posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3bWPq4-gM

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 03:47:36 PM »

"Paint Your Wagon" he sings quite a bit.  I've never actually seen that movie, but I have heard much of the music, and he's actually not too bad.  Lee Marvin, on the other hand. . .  Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »

Well...anyway Marvin had the hit song. Actually I don't remember whether  in the italian version of the movie (which I saw in July 1970, in what we call an arena: i.e. a large space adapted to open air theatre in a southern summer resort called Sperlonga) the song were dubbed too. Though the movie is aired once in a while on some channel never had the guts to watch it. I presume the italian renditions of the songs could only be an improvement though when I heard Marvin singin' the song on the radio and not knowing a word of english, his rumblings excerced a sure fascination on me (and, I'm sure, scores of other italian ignorants). The italian title of the movie was The Ballad of No Name Cty and I think it's a little better than the original, isn't it?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 06:38:59 PM »

Dunno if I've mentioned this before, but according to my dad "Paint Your Wagon" was the movie playing in the hospital while my mom was delivering me. . . so I guess I've got to see it eventually!  Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »

Well...anyway Marvin had the hit song. Actually I don't remember whether  in the italian version of the movie (which I saw in July 1970, in what we call an arena: i.e. a large space adapted to open air theatre in a southern summer resort called Sperlonga) the song were dubbed too. Though the movie is aired once in a while on some channel never had the guts to watch it. I presume the italian renditions of the songs could only be an improvement though when I heard Marvin singin' the song on the radio and not knowing a word of english, his rumblings excerced a sure fascination on me (and, I'm sure, scores of other italian ignorants). The italian title of the movie was The Ballad of No Name Cty and I think it's a little better than the original, isn't it?
But the title is based on the name of the opening song. Is the song "Paint Your Wagon" also called "The Ballad of No Name City?"

Some people don't like the "bad" singing in this film, but I think that is part of its comic charm. By contrast, when the standard musical performance of "They Call the Wind Maria" goes off, it feels out of place. And it's the only boring part of the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 10:17:07 PM »

What I mean is I would rather see a movie called "The Ballad of No Name City" than "Paint Your Wagon". Though, sure, it is not much of a choice.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 04:35:47 PM »

one thing about Paint Your Wagon was that they really built a realistic Western mining camp set in I think it was Oregon that was pretty accurate, too bad the film was a musical, now if it had been a straight Western it may have been pretty good. Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 11:55:49 PM »

too bad the film was a musical, now if it had been a straight Western it may have been pretty good. Cool

I dont think a western called "Paint your wagon" would be any good regardless of it being played straight or not Roll Eyes

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 04:23:39 AM »

Van Cleef sang in Captain Apache, i almost cried...

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 05:19:21 AM »

I dont think a western called "Paint your wagon" would be any good regardless of it being played straight or not 

Did you ever see it? It will remind you of McCabe & Mrs. Miller in a way.

Cut out the song and dance #'s and its not bad, sort of a cool and devious plan, seriously, I'll have to check and see if its based on a novel or if its an original work.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »

Did you ever see it? It will remind you of McCabe & Mrs. Miller in a way.

I've seen one bit of it but shut it off afterwards.

hey Joe I saw "Barquero". It was good...

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 12:52:12 PM »

Van Cleef sang in Captain Apache, i almost cried...

The arrangement of the music in CA is quite good though and I think LVC's singing adds to an already very entertaining comedy.

Man with no dame
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »

No matter how bad you might think it is to watch Eastwood and Marvin sing, it's better than watching Clint scamper about in his BVDs in The Witches.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM