Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:02:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Train Robbers (1973)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Train Robbers (1973)  (Read 6280 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:32:02 PM »

Director was Burt Kenedy, John Wayne, Rod Taylor, Ben Johnson, Ann Margret and Ricardo Montalban.

Well,  finally caught most of this today (I missed the part where they search for the train had a ph call  Sad) and you can really see the Spaghetti Western influence especially in the beginnig sequence while they are waiting for the train to arrive in a windstorm (that was cool looking), and it has a very surrealistic scene of a trainwreck burried in sand dunes, and a bit of a twist ending, it could have been good, it just didn't qiute click.

It would have made a good SW with of course some more picaresque characters, oh well.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »

Director was Burt Kenedy, John Wayne, Rod Taylor, Ben Johnson, Ann Margret and Ricardo Montalban.

Well,  finally caught most of this today (I missed the part where they search for the train had a ph call  Sad) and you can really see the Spaghetti Western influence especially in the beginnig sequence while they are waiting for the train to arrive in a windstorm (that was cool looking), and it has a very surrealistic scene of a trainwreck burried in sand dunes, and a bit of a twist ending, it could have been good, it just didn't qiute click.

It would have made a good SW with of course some more picaresque characters, oh well.

The train in the sand dunes was very eerie looking wasn't it?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:48:05 PM »

The train in the sand dunes was very eerie looking wasn't it?

Yes that remined me of Sollima and Hosien.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:50:27 PM »

Yes that remined me of Sollima and Hosien.

Why?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:33:29 PM »

Sollima at the end of Face To Face has some surrealsitic shots in a sand dune desert ( A Peacemaker sticking out of the sand) , and Hosien has that surrealistic ghost town in Cemetery Without Crosses

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 09:42:29 PM »

Sollima at the end of Face To Face has some surrealsitic shots in a sand dune desert ( A Peacemaker sticking out of the sand) , and Hosien has that surrealistic ghost town in Cemetery Without Crosses

Oh I see. I saw that still of the Peacemaker sticking out of the sand dune from Face to Face.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »

Hey, this movie was on tv here in Italy this very week.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:29:12 AM »

check it out and tell me what happened between where Ann Margaret tells John Wayne to boil her shirt and they arrive at the train wreck, I got a phone call and though I had it recoded but didn't thanks.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 02:12:16 PM »

Sorry, I didn't watch it. Had many years ago.

Tim
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 09:40:02 AM »

check it out and tell me what happened between where Ann Margaret tells John Wayne to boil her shirt and they arrive at the train wreck, I got a phone call and though I had it recoded but didn't thanks.

The Duke tells her about the dangers of going on the trip with all the two-bit hired guns after them, Margaret changes her mind, and then as they're leaving, she throws the shirt to Wayne and says "boil it" so that she can stick out in all the right places.   Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:22:03 AM »

Yea but what was the story of the wrecked train etc., etc. I didn't get the part from the boield shirt to the finding of the wrecked train?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 05:44:44 AM »

On today on AMC at 1PM Eatern Time, probably P&S but its got the SW influence and some surrealistic images.

Check it out or Record.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »

watched it again and it basically sucks, to much yappin not enough action, & most of the action is tedious shots of horses over & over again, lol, not recomended other than to see the wrecked train.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 11:37:03 PM »

Watched the DVD of The Train Robbers today.  It's not a great western, but I'm entertained throughout and w/ a lot of westerns that is all I'm looking for.  The cast is excellent, the teaming of Wayne, Rod Taylor, and Ben Johnson was great, a prequel or sequel could have been interesting.  And of course, Ann-Margret's pretty easy on the eyes. Evil

The music is good, some of the locations in/around Durango are beautiful and have been in a bunch of other westerns, and the action scenes are pretty well done.  And I liked the ending, as much for the dialogue b/w Ben Johnson and Rod Taylor as anything else.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:42:34 PM by Ben Tyreen » Logged

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 05:20:22 AM »

Watched the dvd. It is not a bad movie, but it isn't very good either. Or, better, it could have been much better. A pity. Main fault lies with the fact that there is not a single face-to-face confrontation between heroes and villains, as these adopt the indian suicides techniques of charging the well armed defense of  Wayne's men hiding behind a train in the desert. So what you have John Wayne for if he has no confrontation with the main villain? In fact Ben Johnson comes up with the best part, with the best dialogue. Wayne's part is unresolved. Ann Margret may be easy on the eye (well, she was 10 years before this) but she offers less skin to the camera than Doris Day. Rod Taylor's role is short and insignificant (I won't complain about that: I never liked him).
The wild bunch ruse might remind us of MNIN of the same year.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM