Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:34:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  China 9, Liberty 37 aka Amore, piombo e furore (1978)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: China 9, Liberty 37 aka Amore, piombo e furore (1978)  (Read 18593 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 03:37:16 AM »

Check this out, a new full cut release, or the same old vhs derived cut? Its says the full 98 minutes:

http://www.amazon.com/China-9-Liberty-37/dp/B000X7S9T4/ref=sr_1_4/103-5015441-3843050?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193568306&sr=1-4

Interesting cover...

NOT

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 08:11:32 AM »

But the new Rough Guide for Westerns says its 102 minutes, another mystery to check into.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 03:40:21 AM »

I have a version that runs 102 minutes and 25 seconds. Can't remember if theres any extra blackness (probably not) or something at the beginning or end which might make it longer than it really is.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 05:42:08 AM »

Where did you pick that version up?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »

Apparently it was at least once shown on Encore Western years ago, somebody recorded it to VHS which was later transferred to DVDr which was later encoded into 1 CD divx avi (which is what I have).
I'm sure the DVDr disc could be bought but I have no idea from where...

It's only fullscreen though.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »

thanks again Afro

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 12:05:02 AM »

This one now has a widescreen DVD release in Italy (only Italian audio I believe). Don't know how long it is, and it's not available at online stores. There's one copy at Ebay right now (might be the only one you ever see there... Grin ) and I'll be very surprised if it goes under 50euros (that's what... $75? ). Wink

The DVD isn't as bright as this image...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:07:01 AM by Sundance » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 03:54:20 AM »

That's a bit steep Cool. Thanks for the info.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 04:04:57 AM »

Well agutter was sort of famous for shucking her clothes, check out Walkabout. The only other film I remember her in was Silent Running with Bruce Dern

Recently caught up with "American Werewolf In London" and she's in this to.
I seem to recall a love scene between her and the protagonist so I'm sure she was nude.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »

I watched this today, a 92 minute widescreen version from Italian TV that actually looked good, and for a Monty Hellman flick I was impressed, its way more polished than the "The Shooting" and had an obviously bigger production, Fabio Testi is good in the role of Clayton Drumm, Warren Oates and Jenny Agutter round out the main cast. Hellman keeps the story interesting enough to follow it to the end.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:49:10 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

Joe, how were you able to see this?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

Ok now I've seen both the Italian TV version & the English cut in almost full wide screen, there is still some trimming on the sides, in the title sequence its apparent, but like I've mentioned before the story is intriguing enough to keep you interested through to the end to see what is going to happen. Its  Monte Hellman's & Fabio Testi's best Western of what I've seen.  Testi does a great job & is believable in his character, Jenny Agutter looks very delectable & the story is plausible, Warren Oates plays a different type of character than his usual stock good old southern boy self.

Its got this classic line by Warren Oates about women "if they didn't have cunts there'd be a bounty on them".  Afro

I'm not sure of the actual lengths of each I'll check on them and post back on that.

It should get an official release.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:48 AM »

Ok here is a better review of China 9 Liberty 37.

This is a Western that has sex as its driving force.

It’s basic Western cliché story line is hired gun Clayton Jones (Fabio Testi) is about to hang for some offence in the town of China, Texas. We see him in a jail cell and out in the town square we see a hanging platform with three nooses, a Chinaman and a China woman are bound and lined up below it we cut back to Clayton who is removed from his cell apparently to join the condemned. We cut to Clayton in the offices of a railroad company where some officials hand him a pardon with the stipulation that he is to go kill Matthew Sebanek, who won't sell out his land at the cheap price offered to the RR. He has become a small obstacle to the tracks.

Matthew Sebenek (Warren Oates) is sort of a hardscrabble squatter/homesteader, he is sitting upon land that has oil beneath it and knows it, oldest of the Sebenek brothers he looks to be between 45-55 years old, his comparatively child bride wife Catherine (Jenny Agutter) looks between 20-25, Matthew treats Catherine more like a slave than a partner, she is unhappy and shows it. There are no children present that, in most Hollywood Westerns, that depicted these types of May-December relationships would cement the couple together with a common cause.

Into this situation rides reluctant hired gun Clayton Jones and he gets his first eyeful of Catherine as she is bathing in the stream near the road to the homestead, she doesn't hear him coming while she reclines in the water and is surprised when Clayton's voice asks which way to the Sebenek's but not embarrassed and she does not try to cover up in any way. In subsequent scenes we learn that Matthew who was a former hired gun of the railroad has Clayton pretty much pegged for what he truly is, but that sort of binds him into a wary friendship with him that blossoms. We also see that love starved Catherine is attracted to Clayton by her demeanor and it is she who makes the first move to consummate an affair. Clayton who has come to like Matthew decides not to kill him and that he best get away from the dicey situation but Catherine gives it away on the day Clayton leaves and she and Matthew come to blows in the kitchen and she stabs Matthew and leaves him for dead.

Catherine rides away to follow Clayton.

Now this is an adult treatment of situations that are real, I've know real life stories that have played out exactly so and have had similar ends. It’s refreshing to see a Western with more mature themes that still has enough Western elements to keep it in Genre and interesting enough to keep you watching.

There are some nice stylistic camera shot touches in a later whorehouse confrontation. If I have any complaint about the film it would be the overly intrusive soundtrack that in some scenes plays annoyingly over the dialog, it doesn't help that it has a 70's sound to it.  Other music is provided by the actors themselves and gratefully its recorded live (not sound studio looping) and sounds very realistic.

Sam Peckinpah has a nice cameo as a seedy pulp novelist.

Check it out if you can find it. The version I saw was almost full wide screen though it still had some side cropping where you could tell so when the credits were rolling. For the most part you wouldn't notice it however there is one scene where when Catherine is coming on to Clayton, she stands in a open doorway in a nightgown back lit by a kerosene lantern and you can see she is plainly naked, she is half cut off by the cropping which makes me suspect that there may be a few more scenes where we are not seeing the full potential of the cinematography.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 04:28:32 AM »

Did a little check this morning English cut length from the abrupt start (its one of those beginnings where picture, harmonica music, and title credits abruptly appear) to the Fade Out to black after the end credits and Helman's "for my father" comes to 98 minutes 11 seconds. If you go to the Warner Bros. logo its a bit more but the actual film is 98 minutes 11 seconds.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »

Check this out, a new full cut release, or the same old vhs derived cut? Its says the full 98 minutes:

http://www.amazon.com/China-9-Liberty-37/dp/B000X7S9T4/ref=sr_1_4/103-5015441-3843050?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193568306&sr=1-4

This dvd is better...

http://cultcine.com/products-page/westerns/china-9-liberty-37-remastered---uncut---1978---ntsc---monte-hellman-usa

Seems like an official release and runs about 5 minutes longer than the 98 minute version.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM