Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 05:56:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  China 9, Liberty 37 aka Amore, piombo e furore (1978)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: China 9, Liberty 37 aka Amore, piombo e furore (1978)  (Read 18308 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »

What do you think of it, folks? As my previous experiences with Helmann were far from exalting (I mean The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind) I wouldn't have tried this one were in not that it had all the premises of a SW, though it isn't.
I can't say is a masterpiece but, apart from two or three moments of stasis, it's a film that keeps you interested in the fate of the characters. Which is not a mean feat.
The thing that amazed me most was to discover how good Testi was.
Much talk it is made of Oates, who is good but not very.
I don't know what Jenny Agutter has done apart rom this movie, but there are some actresses in this film who are more attractive than her. Still there's a great fuss about her nude scenes: don't know why. Neither I don't know why the dvd copy in english seems to be edited of the nude scenes and in pan & scan.  I recorded the movie three days ago from an italian national channel and the master was letterboxed, with all the nudes there. Though the italian version is only 92' minutes long.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 02:57:59 PM »

What do you think of it, folks? As my previous experiences with Helmann were far from exalting (I mean The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind) I wouldn't have tried this one were in not that it had all the premises of a SW, though it isn't.
I can't say is a masterpiece but, apart from two or three moments of stasis, it's a film that keeps you interested in the fate of the characters. Which is not a mean feat.
I don't know what Jenny Agutter has done apart rom this movie, but there are some actresses in this film who are more attractive than her. Still there's a great fuss about her nude scenes: don't know why. Neither I don't know why the dvd copy in english seems to be edited of the nude scenes and in pan & scan.  I recorded the movie three days ago from an italian national channel and the master was letterboxed, with all the nudes there. Though the italian version is only 92' minutes long.

I thought this movie was the WORST western I've even seen in my life. It was horrible!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:00:47 AM »

I thought this movie was the WORST western I've even seen in my life. It was horrible!

hardly the worst western ever.
But it is pretty bad.

however (as Titoli mentions) it does keep things interesting once Oates's wife leaves him for dead...

hey did anybody notice in the last gunfight when somebody is shot the blood is animated?
I guess they couldnt afford squibs so they decided to paint in the blood later on the film. That was pretty interesting to me because I had never seen that before.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:02:52 AM »

hardly the worst western ever.

You're right, I take back my last comment. I've seen some really bad ones now that I think about it. But it's deinitely ONE of the worst.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:54:08 AM »

Apparntly Agutter made not an impression on both of you. So we're three. At IMDB they have a different view. I think the english contributors of the board could shed some light on this circumstance.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »

Well agutter was sort of famous for shucking her clothes, check out Walkabout. The only other film I remember her in was Logan's Run with Michael York.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:07:00 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »

Apparntly Agutter made not an impression on both of you. So we're three. At IMDB they have a different view. I think the english contributors of the board could shed some light on this circumstance.

well Titoli that is hard to say because I have the awful pan & can cut version. so just before she sheds her clothes it cuts away.
I have seen the missing scenes on the internet elsewhere and I think she has a pretty much petite body. But she is very cute.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:33:35 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »

She is not voluptous but yes petite. Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 02:35:59 PM »

She is not voluptous but yes petite. Cool

she has a very mousy face that I thought was adorable.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 02:42:41 PM »

she has a very mousy face that I thought was adorable.

I didn't find her that attractive.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 05:07:59 PM »

Agutter, Helen Mirren, and Melanie Griffiths are all free spirits who seen to have no problem with shucking off all their clothes for full frontal at an early point in their careers, Mirren is recently still active.  Cool

Check out a very young Mirren in 1969's  "Age of Consent" and the recent 2003's "Calendar Girls"

Melanie Griffiths in 1975's "Night Moves" with Gene Hackman & James Woods.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:58:44 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Mcbain
Bandido

www.myopicvoid.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 01:48:46 PM »

I have been trying to find a good copy of China 9 but none seem to be available yet.

Speaking of Fabio Testi he did a super job in "Four of the Apocolypse" 1975 Lucio Fulci.  Testi's final showdown with the crazed gunfighter at the end is very very good.  A sadly overlooked Italian western that is very moving.  Fabio Testi is a top flight actor.

Monte Helmann did a superb job directing "Cockfighter".  "Two Lane Blacktop" is really a classic as well. I highly reccomend "Cockfighter".  There will never be another film like it.  Anchorbay DVD has put out some of Hellman's and Lucio fulci's work.  They sport fantastic Anamorphic transfers.

For Jenny Auger films check out "Picnic at Hanging Rock" 1975 and the classic "The Railway children" 1970 directed by Lionel Jeffries

Cheers,

Eric

www.gorocknow.comNEW GO WEBSITE WITH BAND SOUNDSLIPS AND PICTURES
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 02:07:35 PM »

I have been trying to find a good copy of China 9 but none seem to be available yet.

If you haven't seen China 9, believe me, you're not missing anything!   Grin

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 04:31:53 AM »

I haven't seen this, but I notice is goes for stacks on ebay...... presumably because of the nudity lol.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »

Check this out, a new full cut release, or the same old vhs derived cut? Its says the full 98 minutes:

http://www.amazon.com/China-9-Liberty-37/dp/B000X7S9T4/ref=sr_1_4/103-5015441-3843050?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193568306&sr=1-4

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:06:43 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM