Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:59:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Nothing.. is written"..I MUST go
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Nothing.. is written"..I MUST go  (Read 8593 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 09:56:20 PM »

I just watched this tonight. It's my second viewing.

What a great film! It's funny how my second viewing felt like it went by faster than the first.

Beebs
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 09:36:03 AM »

I just watched this tonight. It's my second viewing.

What a great film! It's funny how my second viewing felt like it went by faster than the first.

Then after that you have to watch it in two sittings, because schedule doesn't permit one.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 09:47:21 AM »

I'm just a bit worried about staying awake.... Undecided...aarghh..if I slept through it...I'd never forgive myself.
I don't think even a gallon of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream could soothe my soul.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:09:45 PM »

I just arrived home...too tired to write a full review of the evening right now...just thought I'd mention it was a marvelous experience...& a wonderful thing occured.
As I was watching the movie...at a certain point I recognized that it was nearing it's end...& I realized that I had lost all track of time..this 3 & 1/2 hour film seemed to have zipped by in about half of that. Big Screen Movie Magic... Cool
I stayed awake..too.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 08:39:54 AM »

A few reflections from last night....
The theater is a fully-restored Art Deco movie palace....   seating 600...........showing movies  since 1933. -------->
http://www.coolidge.org/t_aud.html
Unfortunately...due to economics...& struggling to keep the theater open...a few years ago the balcony (the front row of which  I would have headed for) was converted into a small screening room.
As the lights dimmed a bit..& the overture started...w/ those kettle drums announcing..tympani thundering...the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and a slow moving chill started inching up my spine.
As the theater went dark..& the curtains parted....the screen exploding with color...I found myself quietly shaking my head in awe & anticipation.
The next 3 & 1/2 hours was the most pleasurable movie experience I've had in a very long time....it was "Cinema"...the way it was intended...& may soon be harder & harder to find.
Time stood still...as those amazing visuals and compelling performances swept me up and away.
Many "knockout" scenes...the "match" transition from the room in Cairo to the sunrise over the desert,....the gradual appearance of Sherif Ali..from a tiny speck on the horizon,....the raid on Akaba,...just a few of so many glorious moments accompanied by Maurice Jarre's magnificent score....I'd call the Stereo in the theater OK...could have been louder...but I won't quibble w/ it too much.
The evening was presented in the 'Road Show' format...w/ the Overture...Intermission with intermission music...& Exit Music.
There was a good crowd...not a sellout...but very well attended.  I enjoyed listening, especially, to the comments of some of the younger people, many of whom were seeing this film for the first time, as they filed out of the theater...and was able to share their sense of wonder.
The 50th anniversary of "Lawrence Of Arabia" is coming up in 6 years...as the 40th was celebrated in 2002 with a revival...w/ showings across the country...I hope that there will be a similar "celebration" at that time...& the opportunity to see this masterwork properly will be available for everyone.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »

God willing, I'll be able to celebrate the 50th anniversary being seeing it in theater.  "It's a dream. . ."

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 04:29:33 PM »

Glad to hear your experience Boardwalk. I'd say the greatest cinematic experience for me was seeing OUATITW on a huge screen ( roughly the size of the one you saw LoA on ). Now THAT's an experience.  Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 04:53:25 PM »

I'd love see any of Lean's and Leone's films on the big screen.  There are a lot of others too, but these directors were made to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »

I'd love see any of Lean's and Leone's films on the big screen.  There are a lot of others too, but these directors were made to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

If LoA or Doctor Zhivago play on a screen near me I'll be one of the first to get a ticket. Those are two movies I'm DYING to see in a theater.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 05:20:07 PM »

I'm fortunate that there are 2 "revival" theaters in my area...
In addition to the Coolidge..where I went last night...we have the Brattle----->
http://www.brattlefilm.org/brattlefilm/index.html
which recently had a "Thriller" weekend festival..showing  PSYCHO, THE BIRDS, JAWS, REAR WINDOW, BODY DOUBLE, and  NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

Do any of you have a good theater nearby that shows classic films?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:25:56 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 05:22:09 PM »

No.  Closest is probably Pittsburgh, which is a two hour drive. 

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »

In addition to the Coolidge..where I went last night...we have the Brattle----->
which recently had a weekend Hitchcock festival..showing  PSYCHO, THE BIRDS, JAWS, REAR WINDOW, BODY DOUBLE, and  NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

The film forum in lower Manhattan shows all the classic movies. Before a SE DVD is made of a movie they premiere it there first. I saw GBU restored version there back in 2003 before it came out on DVD as well as the Major Dundee restored edition.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »

You lucky bastard!  Wink

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 05:26:56 PM »

You lucky bastard!  Wink

Unfortunately for me I had just gotten over an ear infection when I saw Major Dundee. In one ear I couldn't hear well so it was really annoying that I couldn't fully enjoy the surround sound.  Sad

Oh well, water under the bridge.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »

which recently had a "Thriller" weekend festival..showing  PSYCHO, THE BIRDS, JAWS, REAR WINDOW, BODY DOUBLE, and  NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

We have some good theatres, The Egyptian shows the classics sometimes, I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 70 mm there (that was so awesome). And there's a restaurant that shows movies like "Some Like it Hot" and "Dr. Strangelove" sometimes. There's also a theatre that shows all of the obscure and independent movies that are coming out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM