Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:15:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Young Guns (1988)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Young Guns (1988)  (Read 13296 times)
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »

just watched Young Guns last night... i remembered this being a really good movie. the last time i watched it was back when it first came out, and i was pretty young at the time, with very limited spaghetti experience (GBU was probably the only one actually)

god, what a disappointment. you all were extremely right about everything..  the music, very annoying.. there were too many characters... very few well shot scenes. even the action wasn't too exciting. the only guys that die are the ones you don't care about, of course...

overall, total crap.. i wish i would of let this one alone..

although, i did enjoy the peyote scene.. last time i saw this, i was so young i didn't even remember this happening

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 04:53:01 PM »

and i have to agree with the love story subplot.. usually this kind of thing wouldnt bother me so much.. but it was poorly done here... no depth or real feeling to it, seems as if it was there just to be there..

perhaps i'm being a bit harsh, but was just such a let down compared to what i rememberd..  there were a few scenes i liked, but nothing to make it worth multiple viewings

perhaps i will give the 2nd one a watch soon.. i did see parts of this one not long ago, and liked them.

Tim
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 07:57:31 AM »

Give the sequel a try again, pixelated.  It's not a great movie, but it is entertaining.  I like it because the relationship between Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett is explored more, played well by CSI's William Peterson.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 04:14:40 PM »

I think I remember liking the scene were the boys enter a bar and some guy is talking about how he's gonna catch billy the kid or something. and billy asks him what he's like and then he starts whistling those sad tunes. dunno which of the movies that was in.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »

I think I remember liking the scene were the boys enter a bar and some guy is talking about how he's gonna catch billy the kid or something. and billy asks him what he's like and then he starts whistling those sad tunes. dunno which of the movies that was in.

that's in the first one. billy asks if he can see the gun that's going to kill billy the kid, and then takes the bullets out. billy looks in the mirror and says "i see em!" and when the guy tries to shoot billy, he's got no bullets and billy shoots him in the head.

yea, that's a pretty cool scene, i think someone already mentioned it earlier

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 09:50:11 PM »

I don't hate these films like some of you do. I think they're good fun. I loved them when I was a little kid so I guess I have a place in my heart for them. Are they GREAT westerns? Heck no, but they're not terrible. I actually prefer the second one to the original. I love the music to that film. Great soundtrack.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:50 PM »

This was an enjoyable movie, I must agree.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 11:23:59 PM »

This was an enjoyable movie, I must agree.

Honestly though. Why do so many people hate these films? I don't get it. The actors are not as pretty as people claim. I mean you have some great actors in here. Legends if you ask me. From Jack Palance, to Terence Stamp, to Terry O'Quinn. Good performances all around and I thought Emilio Estavez was pretty good as Billy the Kid.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »

Honestly though. Why do so many people hate these films?

Personal preference I guess.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2007, 11:34:11 PM »

Personal preference I guess.

Honestly though. I think it's one of those films that people just hate it just to hate it. They hear it from alot of people how bad it is before seeing it and don't form an opinion for themselves. That's what I at least think.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 03:32:36 AM »

I once started too see the second part, but it was very boring at the beginning - and I said WTF that Billy is the storyteller, he should been dead...  Huh Perhaps I should give a second chance to it.

I'm a big fan of Peckinpah's version. My fourth favourite western...
What's the matter with Kris? I liked him. Ok, he's older than the historical Billy, but it's not a documentary, and to Sam's vision it's better a man who feels he's not so young and fast as sooner. Not an idealized young hero - I loved this idea. And what about Garrett? He was only 31 when he killed the Kid, but in the most versions he's portrayed by veteran actors...  Wink and as a father figure.
James was absolutely cool. ( Roll Eyes Ok, I'm a big fan of two men - the one is James Coburn and the other Gian Maria Volonté Tongue). And there's a really chemistry between him and Kris. A good pairing.  Wink

If I would make a film about Billy... hm. I don't know who should play the Kid. Perhaps that boy from The Parfume, Ben Whislaw. He's young enough and a big actor - a little like Anthony Perkins. He'll be fine, I think. A psychopath.  Grin

"Does this unit have a soul?"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »

"youuu whooooo...I'll make ya famous."  Afro

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2007, 08:04:28 AM »

I saw the second yesterday. It was pretty good. Funny lines, lovable characters, good actors, athmosphere. I enjoyed it.  Afro

"Does this unit have a soul?"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »

I'm happy you enjoyed them Jill. And just to let you know about Billy narrating the film. Still till this day, nobody really knows if was killed by Patt Garrett or not. That's the mystery and that's why he's narrating Young Guns 2.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »

Hell I always seem to miss these vibrant discussions... Anyway, I can only concord with the general consensus: lousy story, too many boring characters, not much in terms of entertainment, and dreadful soundtrack. All in all I'd rather fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong than waste my time with it again.

This was the kind of crap immensely popular in the 80's and 90's, and just aired over and over and over on TV. At some point (especially if you were younger) you were forced to make yourself believe it was good, because hey, it was on TV every other day.

Small plus for Jack Palance and Terence Stamp.

2.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM